Refs vs St. John's | The Boneyard

Refs vs St. John's

Reaction Score
Watching on TV seemed UConn got a very favorable whistle. Huskies maybe thought "ball-don't-lie" by making 50% of FTs until OT, does UConn lose that game if on the road?

I'm curious how it looked courtside or at the game. Was St. John's clearly very physical, hand checking etc all night and the calls were what bled thru? Or did the Huskies get home cooking?
You do not have to be in the AugustWest dating pool to respond, but extra credibility if so.

Reaction Score
With 12 minutes or so left in 2nd half, we were up in fouls 6-3. St John's hit the double bonus before we had 8. Refs have been wildly inconsistent, calling few fouls in first half and calling everything to start the second. The wave of fouls against St Johns does suggest we got favorable calls, which was nice for a change.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's one of those games where you can call the fouls on SJU every possession. Early in the game many of those fouls are masked by good footwork and general athleticism and strength.

By the end of the game when the players are a fatigued a bit, the feet get slower and the fouls are more apparent when lunging instead of being squared up. Almost becomes a snowball effect.

Reaction Score
I was at the game. I heard very little complaining about the refs. There was one foul called on Cole in the 2nd half that was very questionable. Other than that, the whistle was fair to favorable all night imo.

Reaction Score
I watched on TV, and I thought the refs let a lot of would-be fouls committed by UConn go uncalled. Of the calls that were whistled, they seemed to be reasonable and fair. This is literally the first time, though, that I remember thinking, "Damn, the opponent is really getting screwed by the refs."

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was at the game. I heard very little complaining about the refs. There was one foul called on Cole in the 2nd half that was very questionable. Other than that, the whistle was fair to favorable all night imo.

And announcers once again pointed out the ref closest to the play didn't blow the whistle on Cole but rather a ref who was 20' away and had his view blocked. Seems like announcers are pointing that out more frequently now.

Reaction Score
I thought we got a favorable whistle for sure. But I'm glad because it may have been the first time this year that happened for us.

Reaction Score
Was at the game at court level (thanks August!)

I think the refs called an inconsistent game.

For example, Adama got mugged/fouled by at least 2 SJ players on one trip into the paint, no call. Then, very minor contact was called on UConn as a foul 2-3 plays later when a SJ player went into the paint.

We definitely did get some favorable whistles (e.g., RJ could have been called for a carry during a trip up the court late in the game (in OT, I think? I forget) and some of our blocks there probably should have been a foul called.

SJ ended up getting called for many more fouls but they also obviously committed many more fouls. We played better "clean" defense.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I was at the game. Way too many fouls called against both sides. This is the BE, not some pansy kids playing touch football. Swallow the whistle and let us play. Also, many of the whistles were late or off the ball. Basketball should be more like soccer, where if the foul doesn’t directly interfere with the ball, rebound, or play, then let’s play on.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The refs added to the lack of flow in the game. While it may appear that UConn received overall a more favorable amount of the calls, I say no but it appeared to be so in certain patches. However if and when they decided to show replays on the large screens, most appeared warranted. My biggest beef was the lack of consistency by the refs - the 1st and 2nd half were polar and that hurts teams/players on how they approach the game. Late whistles seem to be the norm last night and was driving Mike Anderson nuts.
As usual with almost all the games around the country I have viewed, the officiating is bad at best

Reaction Score
St Joh's is a physical team...much more so than Uconn. The refs missed the call that would have wrapped it up when the called the ball out on Jackson.

Reaction Score
Eh, SJU plays a style of basketball that ends up with a lot of fouls. There were maybe 2 or 3 bad ones against each team, but by the end I wasn't thinking the refs did a particularly bad job. Pretty standard CBB game in my book.

SJU plays really aggressive on both sides, so 20+ foul calls for them is gonna be their norm. 15 or less is a pretty good goal for our team.

Reaction Score
And announcers once again pointed out the ref closest to the play didn't blow the whistle on Cole but rather a ref who was 20' away and had his view blocked. Seems like announcers are pointing that out more frequently now.
I thought refs had a territory like a zone or is it based upon type of foul or time of the game? It did look like some of the charging fouls on Saint John's, in another game, might have gone against UConn. Cole does a great job in selling charges but they could go either way.

Reaction Score
I thought refs had a territory like a zone or is it based upon type of foul or time of the game? It did look like some of the charging fouls on Saint John's, in another game, might have gone against UConn. Cole does a great job in selling charges but they could go either way.

Lead official under the basket is supposed to call those charges under the basket. They are supposed to just make the calls in their area. When you see a ref make a call from across the court or something, it's because no one is in his "area" so then they're able to extend their officiating to other players.

There are other guys who are actually refs on here who could explain it better and more accurately. Reffing is much more complicated than most of us casuals tend to realize. I just know enough to decide who to scream at during games I coach, lol.

Reaction Score
It was not a poorly officiated game. But I'll say this -- the foul on Sanogo at the end of regulation wasn't "not a foul," but that call does not get made with a second left more often than it does get made.

Reaction Score
Was also at the game, other than the first 2 min of the 2nd half when we got 3 fouls, it was pretty well called, at least in our POV. I think there were a handful of calls against SJU that probably weren't the right call, but as we all know how many times has our aggressive defense been victimized by bad calls? SJU's DNA under Anderson is an aggressive D, and it showed especially when they don't have the best talent. Overall though, I thought this was one of the better officiated games in BE play I've seen the last 2 years, the refs even gasps let them play a bit in OT with contact. Unheard of in 2022. Yes, my standards are low, but both teams' issues in the half court disrupted the "flow of the game" more than the refs.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

There was one called on Martin in 2nd half that was mystifying. But I think we got a favorable whistle overall. Hurley was really working the Refs last night. But in a different manner. He had a good rapport with them, and they would get up in each others grills and then the ref would leave the "discussion" laughing. But trying to hold it in. Multiple times I saw a couple refs trying to check themselves from showing too much smiling emotion after interactions. He had an ongoing thing going with them especially the bigger ref. He came up to Hurley near end of game after another "discussion" and pointed to the bottle of golden liquid in a non labeled generic bottle Hurley was drinking and has on the scorers every game. (I swear it most closely resembles scotch. Such a weird color, Im sure its some home brew new agey concoction but its there every game) Hurley takes a swig and puts bottle down on table and ref says "what the hell are you drinking" ? Hurley answered but I couldn't hear it. Wish I could.

Reaction Score
It‘s perfectly clear. When we win the officiating wasn’t an issue. When we lose the refs cost us the game. Just a fact.

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It was not a poorly officiated game. But I'll say this -- the foul on Sanogo at the end of regulation wasn't "not a foul," but that call does not get made with a second left more often than it does get made.
Totally agree. We were gifted that. Also Sanogo should've finished that. Hard to even offer the remotest criticism in light of the monster game he had, but that was entirely able to be finished, he had a good angle there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It‘s perfectly clear. When we win the officiating wasn’t an issue. When we lose the refs cost us the game. Just a fact.
If we ever make a list of “rules“ for newbies on The Boneyard, they should be on it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom