Refs vs St. John's | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Refs vs St. John's

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
With 12 minutes or so left in 2nd half, we were up in fouls 6-3. St John's hit the double bonus before we had 8. Refs have been wildly inconsistent, calling few fouls in first half and calling everything to start the second. The wave of fouls against St Johns does suggest we got favorable calls, which was nice for a change.
This is precisely the point when Mike Anderson told his team it would be a street fight now and nothing would be called.

Go back and watch it. He basically coached his team to become more physical because the game was being called loose and they had the bandwidth. That’s exactly the point they got whistled off ball a few times and the game slowed down a bit. They ratcheted up their physicality as a strategy.

Reaction Score
I was at the game. I heard very little complaining about the refs. There was one foul called on Cole in the 2nd half that was very questionable. Other than that, the whistle was fair to favorable all night imo.
That is all we all want in any game_ fair and reasonable. Debating if I will watch the Olympics this cycle since I
Ike fair and reasonable.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is precisely the point when Mike Anderson told his team it would be a street fight now and nothing would be called.

Go back and watch it. He basically coached his team to become more physical because the game was being called loose and they had the bandwidth. That’s exactly the point they got whistled off ball a few times and the game slowed down a bit. They ratcheted up their physicality as a strategy.

I was watching Anderson for cues on his reactions to the fouls. He didn't seem upset much. I figure he sees his team all the time and knows how refs call games against his team. Anderson didn't seem too upset by any calls. Maybe he knows you can only work the refs so much when you foul on every play.

Reaction Score
Having refereed Div. 2 and Div.3 for a few years, I always tried to be consistent with the other refs as to how loose or tight a game was called and not change the script as the game progressed. As stated in an earlier post, as the players get tired they get slower on defense and foul more, but one of the mantra a ref should always try to follow is to avoid as much as possible determining the outcome of the game, not always easy to accomplish as you also never want an uncalled foul to determine the outcome.

Reaction Score
I was very close. StJ was expertly physical and they smartly targeted our (only) PG. Cole's disintegrating play towards the end was the direct result. I'm sure he's pretty beat up today. He gets a lot of points from me just the way he was able to shoulder the load and press on - no quit in that kid. They were on him every second.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Refs did an excellent job. That last call against Sanogo goes wanting at least half the time in spite of it being very obviously a foul. Good on them for calling it.

They also caught the key inbounds flub by StJ and quickly/correctly got the clock right on all occasions. Even the non-reversal of the out of bounds on Whaley was the correct decision even if it looked like it might have been off the other guy.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
What we saw was a team getting burned for the “if we foul them every time we can’t possibly get called every time” philosophy. Refreshing

Reaction Score
I was at the game. I heard very little complaining about the refs. There was one foul called on Cole in the 2nd half that was very questionable. Other than that, the whistle was fair to favorable all night imo.
He had all ball from the replay.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
For example, Adama got mugged/fouled by at least 2 SJ players on one trip into the paint, no call.

That was the worst one. It was a chop down across both of Sanogos arms as he was going up. That was a foul you could see if you were at top of MSG and whats crazier is I think the Martin call I mentioned was next possession where it was 15 feet from hoop and Martin was standing straight up with his arms straight up and got whistled for what, Ill never fathom.

Reaction Score
Thought it was called fine from the stands, most of the discrepancy seemed to be due to UConn being big and St John’s not being as big. People are saying the Sanogo foul at the end wasn’t a foul but haven’t seen a replay.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
Refs did an excellent job. That last call against Sanogo goes wanting at least half the time in spite of it being very obviously a foul. Good on them for calling it.

They also caught the key inbounds flub by StJ and quickly/correctly got the clock right on all occasions. Even the non-reversal of the out of bounds on Whaley was the correct decision even if it looked like it might have been off the other guy.
It's so rare for officials to blow the whistle when a player steps on the line while inbounding. Was nice to see, especially in that situation.

Reaction Score
That was the worst one. It was a chop down across both of Sanogos arms as he was going up. That was a foul you could see if you were at top of MSG and whats crazier is I think the Martin call I mentioned was next possession where it was 15 feet from hoop and Martin was standing straight up with his arms straight up and got whistled for what, Ill never fathom.
The Martin call seemed bad to me too, but when you are in section 222 you don't really have the best perspective. Martin did seem pretty animated that he was straight up the whole time.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
And announcers once again pointed out the ref closest to the play didn't blow the whistle on Cole but rather a ref who was 20' away and had his view blocked. Seems like announcers are pointing that out more frequently now.
In one play a SJ guard pushed and then threw his shoulder into Cole while trying to back him down. Then he threw another blatant shoulder and this time the ref made the call. The TV announcer said
"you can get away with that once; the second time the ref will call it". I find this fascinating. The evolution of the flying shoulder block is now being enshrined but at a once only per possession rate. Except perhaps Gillespie who seems to have a universal pass.

Reaction Score
Let's face it....it came down to one call that really mattered.....and you never know who's gonna swallow the whistle at the end of a game. Luckily Sanoga made his first foul shot.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
In one play a SJ guard pushed and then threw his shoulder into Cole while trying to back him down. Then he threw another blatant shoulder and this time the ref made the call. The TV announcer said
"you can get away with that once; the second time the ref will call it". I find this fascinating. The evolution of the flying shoulder block is now being enshrined but at a once only per possession rate. Except perhaps Gillespie who seems to have a universal pass.
Kadary was using it pretty well too with I think 0 calls?

This shoulder\hip bump needs to get reined in IMO, I'm all for contact and playing through but this just seems like a clear abuse of play.

Reaction Score
There was one called on Martin in 2nd half that was mystifying. But I think we got a favorable whistle overall. Hurley was really working the Refs last night. But in a different manner. He had a good rapport with them, and they would get up in each others grills and then the ref would leave the "discussion" laughing. But trying to hold it in. Multiple times I saw a couple refs trying to check themselves from showing too much smiling emotion after interactions. He had an ongoing thing going with them especially the bigger ref. He came up to Hurley near end of game after another "discussion" and pointed to the bottle of golden liquid in a non labeled generic bottle Hurley was drinking and has on the scorers every game. (I swear it most closely resembles scotch. Such a weird color, Im sure its some home brew new agey concoction but its there every game) Hurley takes a swig and puts bottle down on table and ref says "what the hell are you drinking" ? Hurley answered but I couldn't hear it. Wish I could.
He drinks an orange bai every game. Don’t know why they make him take the label off. I guess they aren’t a sponsor.

Reaction Score
Lead official under the basket is supposed to call those charges under the basket. They are supposed to just make the calls in their area. When you see a ref make a call from across the court or something, it's because no one is in his "area" so then they're able to extend their officiating to other players.

There are other guys who are actually refs on here who could explain it better and more accurately. Reffing is much more complicated than most of us casuals tend to realize. I just know enough to decide who to scream at during games I coach, lol.
Thanks, with three refs, replays and actual time left it can be confusing. Seems like a lot of lost time reviewing calls that for the most part, are not overturned with the monitor review. Perhaps the refs feel safer with the more critical fans these days having these reviews, much like police cameras.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
With 12 minutes or so left in 2nd half, we were up in fouls 6-3. St John's hit the double bonus before we had 8. Refs have been wildly inconsistent, calling few fouls in first half and calling everything to start the second. The wave of fouls against St Johns does suggest we got favorable calls, which was nice for a change.
I’ve noticed fouls are called in cycles the past couple years. Like literally there will be 5 straight minutes where it’s a foul when one team is on offense every possession and it’s like the refs have an “oh crap there’s been 6 fouls on one team and 1 on the other we have to even that out.” Then the other team gets a bunch of calls. Just awful officials

Reaction Score
He drinks an orange bai every game. Don’t know why they make him take the label off. I guess they aren’t a sponsor.
Wow, this drink has been a mystery to me ever since Hurley started here. Thank you for answering the question. Looks like Bai is owned by Dr. Pepper and UConn is definitely a Coke school, so that could be why he has to take the label off.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Wow, this drink has been a mystery to me ever since Hurley started here. Thank you for answering the question. Looks like Bai is owned by Dr. Pepper and UConn is definitely a Coke school, so that could be why he has to take the label off.
Bai tastes like recycled chalk juice.

Hint is a far superior product.

Reaction Score
How about that Phantom call on Whaley in OT. I have seen that play again and still can't see the foul. LOL! I think it was pretty even. There was also that out of bounds play that was clearly off a St. John's player that they said was off UCONN when two guys were going in the air at the same time and it looked clearly like St. John's player was the last hand on the ball. Oh well we won besides some inconsistency in calls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom