Recruiting: Are we out on | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Recruiting: Are we out on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bamba is absolutely 100% a center.

What we know for sure:
KO watched pretty much everyone of his AAU games. The times PSA and Rens (Hami) played at the same time, KO split his time between the 2 or stayed with PSA. So he invested, by a slight margin, most of his time this summer on PSA. Was Bamba the reason? Probably.
In total, without question, KO and the staff (especially Glen) have invested the most time with Hami.

Bamba gave us an unofficial. Not encouraging. That said, if he turns around and gives us an official we should get excited.

The guy is not just a great b ball player but an amazing person. His interviews/media scrums are so impressive. Just seems like a guy Duke will do whatever it takes ($$$$) to get.
I think we have to start to understand that Ollie and Uconn are not out of their league. We devalue ourselves to much. Uconn has a lot to offer and Ollie has shown the ability to sell it. If it weren't for UA diamond stone would have been a husky. Hami if he attends college will be a husky(grain of salt). So who cares if Duke is doing all they can, Ollie is also!!We are so used to not getting these types of players, but I believe we are about to enter a new era in Uconn basketball. Starting with Bamba and Hami. You heard it here first

Reaction Score
Our key will be Enoch's development. Recruiting top players is a crap shoot.

Reaction Score
I think we have to start to understand that Ollie and Uconn are not out of their league. We devalue ourselves to much. Uconn has a lot to offer and Ollie has shown the ability to sell it. If it weren't for UA diamond stone would have been a husky. Hami if he attends college will be a husky(grain of salt). So who cares if Duke is doing all they can, Ollie is also!!We are so used to not getting these types of players, but I believe we are about to enter a new era in Uconn basketball. Starting with Bamba and Hami. You heard it here first

Stone went to Maryland because it was a much better situation. Turgeon lived on the UA AAU circuit and spent a billion % more time on Stone than any other school. Combine that with their roster (Melo Trimble coming off a superstar Frosh year) and Maryland was a no brainer.

IMO, we devalue ourselves when we make imaginary excuses for missing on players.

As for Duke, they have a long history for paying for play. This is not imaginary. The rules simply don't apply to them. Ex. Duhon, Boozer, Lance...

Bamba is an extremely intelligent guy. Maybe he doesn't buy the crap they sell. Who knows?

Reaction Score
Stone went to Maryland because it was a much better situation. Turgeon lived on the UA AAU circuit and spent a billion % more time on Stone than any other school. Combine that with their roster (Melo Trimble coming off a superstar Frosh year) and Maryland was a no brainer.

IMO, we devalue ourselves when we make imaginary excuses for missing on players.

As for Duke, they have a long history for paying for play. This is not imaginary. The rules simply don't apply to them. Ex. Duhon, Boozer, Lance...

Bamba is an extremely intelligent guy. Maybe he doesn't buy the crap they sell. Who knows?
They weren't a no brainer, I'm sorry but I don't buy marylnd was a much better situation. Last year's team suffered from no low post presence, he solves that immeadiately but I don't want to get into a discussion about a player that never went here but if he was on last year's team, he starts and gets plenty of touches. But we'll agree to disagree

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I don't buy marylnd was a much better situation. I don't want to get into a discussion about a player that never went here but if he was on last year's team, he starts and gets plenty of touches. But we'll agree to disagree
Don't the results prove it was a better situation?

Reaction Score
Don't the results prove it was a better situation?
No...because if we have diamond stone and they don't are you sure they're better? I don't think so. I think he solves one of our biggest weaknesses immeadiatley

Reaction Score
Our key will be Enoch's development. Recruiting top players is a crap shoot.
No top program bases their future off of one players development. You keep bringing in talented guys. Enoch(while I think he'll pan out) will not break this program if he doesnt

Reaction Score
No...because if we have diamond stone and they don't are you sure they're better? I don't think so. I think he solves one of our biggest weaknesses immeadiatley

I like Stone's game. Think he's an absolute steal for the Clippers as a 2nd rounder. Didn't think he had a good freshman year (hence the 2nd round). If we got Stone, that probably means no Shonn. I can argue Shonn is more valuable.

Whether we like it or not mark turgeon out recruited us. He feels obligated to the UA Circuit just like Ollie feels obligated to the Nike circuit. Combine Turgeon's time/effort with Melo's incredible year... We stood no chance. But proven idiot crystal ballers picked us as favorites for a couple months so let's just drink the kool aid and blame UA.

Reaction Score
I like Stone's game. Think he's an absolute steal for the Clippers as a 2nd rounder. Didn't think he had a good freshman year (hence the 2nd round). If we got Stone, that probably means no Shonn. I can argue Shonn is more valuable.

Whether we like it or not mark turgeon out recruited us. He feels obligated to the UA Circuit just like Ollie feels obligated to the Nike circuit. Combine Turgeon's time/effort with Melo's incredible year... We stood no chance. But proven idiot crystal ballers picked us as favorites for a couple months so let's just drink the kook aid and blame UA.
That's a valid point about shonn that I'll concede. And you make valid points. But I was under the impression UA indeed played a significant role. Maybe it wasn't what closed the deal but it did play a role. But my point stands that Ollie will prove himself to be an ELITE recruiter

Reaction Score
That's a valid point about shonn that I'll concede. And you make valid points. But I was under the impression UA indeed played a significant role. Maybe it wasn't what closed the deal but it did play a role. But my point stands that Ollie will prove himself to be an ELITE recruiter
I think if we get into the BIG12 or any power conference KO will be unstoppable on the recruiting trail.

Reaction Score
I think if we get into the BIG12 or any power conference KO will be unstoppable on the recruiting trail.
Agree 100% Every year more and more TOP players have Uconn in their final 3/5. I believe KO is bound to start closing on some of the big time guys

Reaction Score
This.

I feel like if we get into a power conference, KO could have us recruiting at an unbelievable level. I think we could become one of those major landing spots for OADs; maybe not like UK/Duke, but like AZ, who is usually good for 2 top 25 players, and often even more.

Now whether this would be a good or bad thing for the program or us as fans, I can't speak to. But, if you add a P5 schedule to our history, A1 facilities, and a coach like KO, the potential is certainly there.

Reaction Score
Diamond Stone's dad runs Young Legends AAU. They r sponsored by UA. I dk the exact amount that UA gives them. But you would imagine that played a part in his recruitment.

Yeah, I mean following that recruiting battle in real time it was UConn vs. Wisconsin and then it wasn't. I don't think it's ridiculous to think that UA money played some role.

Reaction Score
Diamond Stone's dad runs Young Legends AAU. They r sponsored by UA. I dk the exact amount that UA gives them. But you would imagine that played a part in his recruitment.
That's a new one. I probably read/watched every Bob Stone interview. Never saw anything that implied that. Can't find anything on google that says that. Feel like if that was true, the Gary Parish's of the world would write about it.

Yeah, I mean following that recruiting battle in real time it was UConn vs. Wisconsin and then it wasn't. I don't think it's ridiculous to think that UA money played some role.

More like BIG 10 money/schedule/exposure. Blaming UA is sour grapes. Why didn't Turgeon get the top UA kids for this years class? They run out of $ to give?

Reaction Score
I know the crop of bigs is slim in this class, but I'd think that having a stacked deck with respect to guards, and bodies on the roster though not likely NBA guys would mean a good but not flat out amazing big man would want to come here and carve out a nice niche. They must be pitching the fact that our guard crop is so stocked over the next few years that you'll get plenty of nice and easy oops

Reaction Score

Maryland was way late on Stone. Ollie spent the most time outside of Bo watching Diamond. I don't think anyone here devalues Ollie, we just understand there are tiers, and we have yet to get to that upper echelon, but that's okay because we have had success in what we do.

Reaction Score
Maryland was way late on Stone. Ollie spent the most time outside of Bo watching Diamond. I don't think anyone here devalues Ollie, we just understand there are tiers, and we have yet to get to that upper echelon, but that's okay because we have had success in what we do.
Just because Crystal Ballers weren't picking Maryland until late in his recruitment doesn't mean they came in late. They were there the whole time. KO spent most of his time on the EYBL and at local schools (cushing) not on UA and in Wisconsin.

Maryland has an advantage with UA kids due to the time they have to spend on their circuit but it's also a disadvantage b/c Nike is a deeper league. Still, it's so random where these guys decide to go.

I'm sure people are sick of me arguing this topic but for some reason I can't help myself.

Last year's UA circuit STARS: josh Jackson (from Maryland goes to KU/Adidas), Bam (UK/Nike), Fultz (who I also believe is from Maryland - Washington/Nike), Thon Maker (Draft- signed Adidas endorsement).

Why would UA steer stone to Maryland but not any of those guys?

Reaction Score
Just because Crystal Ballers weren't picking Maryland until late in his recruitment doesn't mean they came in late. They were there the whole time. KO spent most of his time on the EYBL and at local schools (cushing) not on UA and in Wisconsin.

Maryland has an advantage with UA kids due to the time they have to spend on their circuit but it's also a disadvantage b/c Nike is a deeper league. Still, it's so random where these guys decide to go.

I'm sure people are sick of me arguing this topic but for some reason I can't help myself.

Last year's UA circuit STARS: josh Jackson (from Maryland goes to KU/Adidas), Bam (UK/Nike), Fultz (who I also believe is from Maryland - Washington/Nike), Thon Maker (Draft- signed Adidas endorsement).

Why would UA steer stone to Maryland but not any of those guys?

Well the two tournaments I watched Stone in that spring both had KO there and no Maryland staff. Young Legends did not strictly play UA. The two tournaments I saw were independent tournaments.

Reaction Score
More like BIG 10 money/schedule/exposure. Blaming UA is sour grapes. Why didn't Turgeon get the top UA kids for this years class? They run out of $ to give?
Because I imagine there were no other fathers of highly recruited prospects who owned an AAU team. You'd have to agree that Stone's situation was definitely unique. I think you'd have to be very naive to think UA and Bob Stone's business relationship had nothing to do with the recruitment.

Mike Brey thought so.

BRAND NAME STARS

But college programs still need players, and sneaker companies are more competitive than ever in determining where those players go. Next season 50 Division I schools will be wearing Under Armour, up from 25 in 2013--14. This doesn't even include UCLA, which signed the largest deal in the history of amateur athletics—$280 million over 15 years—in May and will switch to Under Armour in 2017. College basketball coaches saw the company's influence at work last March, when Diamond Stone of Dominican High in Whitefish Bay, Wis., the country's top center prospect, picked Maryland over Wisconsin and Connecticut.

Notre Dame coach Mike Brey heard the Stone news at a team breakfast before the Irish faced Kentucky in the NCAA tournament, and Brey connected the dots: Stone played for an Under Armour--sponsored grassroots basketball team, and Maryland is Under Armour's flagship college program. (Under Armour founder Kevin Plank went to school at College Park.) Brey viewed Stone's decision as good news—for Notre Dame. The Fighting Irish signed a 10-year, $90 million deal with Under Armour in 2014. "Great!" Brey said. "Maryland got theirs. When are we getting ours?"

Mark Turgeon thinks it's advantageous to be UA's flagship program: http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/...ologizing-for-Under-Armour-Influence-39895579

So does their AD: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/26/s...r-maryland-what-nike-did-for-oregon.html?_r=0

There are many articles on the internet that talk about the influence of the sneaker companies on recruiting. Stone's recruitment just had the added twist of his father's relationship with UA.

https://setonhall.forums.rivals.com...ecruiting-lots-of-under-armour-comments.6534/

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Because I imagine there were no other fathers of highly recruited prospects who owned an AAU team. You'd have to agree that Stone's situation was definitely unique. I think you'd have to be very naive to think UA and Bob Stone's business relationship had nothing to do with the recruitment.

Mike Brey thought so.

BRAND NAME STARS

But college programs still need players, and sneaker companies are more competitive than ever in determining where those players go. Next season 50 Division I schools will be wearing Under Armour, up from 25 in 2013--14. This doesn't even include UCLA, which signed the largest deal in the history of amateur athletics—$280 million over 15 years—in May and will switch to Under Armour in 2017. College basketball coaches saw the company's influence at work last March, when Diamond Stone of Dominican High in Whitefish Bay, Wis., the country's top center prospect, picked Maryland over Wisconsin and Connecticut.

Notre Dame coach Mike Brey heard the Stone news at a team breakfast before the Irish faced Kentucky in the NCAA tournament, and Brey connected the dots: Stone played for an Under Armour--sponsored grassroots basketball team, and Maryland is Under Armour's flagship college program. (Under Armour founder Kevin Plank went to school at College Park.) Brey viewed Stone's decision as good news—for Notre Dame. The Fighting Irish signed a 10-year, $90 million deal with Under Armour in 2014. "Great!" Brey said. "Maryland got theirs. When are we getting ours?"

Mark Turgeon thinks it's advantageous to be UA's flagship program: http://maryland. .com/Bolt/Parrish-Turgeon-Not-Apologizing-for-Under-Armour-Influence-39895579

So does their AD: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/26/s...r-maryland-what-nike-did-for-oregon.html?_r=0

There are many articles on the internet that talk about the influence of the sneaker companies on recruiting. Stone's recruitment just had the added twist of his father's relationship with UA.

https://setonhall.forums com/threads/do-shoe-companies-affect-recruiting-lots-of-under-armour-comments.6534/
Well if this is out there then it can be said it's not very sneaky under all.

N

NotBlueOlliewood

CGarr, it's not a Hollywood secret. Ask anyone in the know, and they would tell you that Stone chose Maryland due to Under Armour. I was told this with Josh Jackson, when people thought UConn or Oregon was a done deal. I get where you're comin from,with if UA could land Stone, why not other "UA" players, but just not that simple.

I wish I had the time and energy to explain how serious these Sneakers company and AAU are, and how horrible it is behind the scenes. Everyone should watch the 30 for 30 with Sonny V, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. It's insane. I'm hearing Adidas might make their own Elite 24 in the summer too.

Reaction Score
CGarr, it's not a Hollywood secret. Ask anyone in the know, and they would tell you that Stone chose Maryland due to Under Armour. I was told this with Josh Jackson, when people thought UConn or Oregon was a done deal. I get where you're comin from,with if UA could land Stone, why not other "UA" players, but just not that simple.

I wish I had the time and energy to explain how serious these Sneakers company and AAU are, and how horrible it is behind the scenes. Everyone should watch the 30 for 30 with Sonny V, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. It's insane. I'm hearing Adidas might make their own Elite 24 in the summer too.
Everyone has read about the sneaker company/AAU stuff. I believe 95% is BS. Pure clickbait.
Everyone saw the 30 for 30. These sneaker companies do everything they can to gets their hooks in a kid early on to sign them to an endorsement. At the end of the day it's all about the money though.
John Wall, arguably biggest high school star in the last 10 years, was Nike AAU, went Nike college did an Adidas shoe deal. Andrew Wiggins, Nike AAU, Adidas College, Adidas deal.
Most recently T Ferg, not nearly a huge star but a big time Nike AAU player last year. Just signed with AU. There are 100's of these examples.
Everyone's so savy now a days. They're not letting some Sonny Vacaro like character effect their bank account. They sign with whoever gives them the most money.

Nike's biggest advantage is their shoes. Those exclusive eybl KD's they gave out at peach jam were going for thousands on eBay. No ones paying that type of money for chef currys or whatever adidas has. I know for a fact they don't give out yeezies. Access to free Jordan's, KDs, Brons, etc is really the biggest aspect but no one talks about it because it's not as juicy.

By the way, I called Maryland as the biggest competition for Justin jackson, not because of AU-- he was commited to UNLV a Nike school-- but because his AAU coach who he was going on all the visits with was a die hard Maryland alum.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Can't find anything on google that says that. Feel like if that was true, the Gary Parish's of the world would write about it.
Ask and you shall receive @CGarr :
start at 9:00 mark (he also brings up UA, turgeon, and Maryland sometime later in the cast but can't find where)

In Parrish's own words:
"Nobody today, has more influence over where kids ultimately go to school than Under Armor.....and Diamond Stone is the perfect example"

Reaction Score
Ask and you shall receive @CGarr :
start at 9:00 mark (he also brings up UA, turgeon, and Maryland sometime later in the cast but can't find where)

In Parrish's own words:
"Nobody today, has more influence over where kids ultimately go to school than Under Armor.....and Diamond Stone is the perfect example"

I'm 35 mins in. Getting board. When does Bob Stone cashing UA checks because he runs the AAU team come up?
That's what I asked for.
I know Parish has a ton of stuff on the sneaker wars. Nothing new. Dude is the KING of clickbait.
Is Parish still beating the his sources say Memphis to Big12/FedEx drum. He nailed that one!

Of course UA was a factor in Stone going to Maryland. Not denying that but there are so many more factors.

Call Gary's show and ask him why every single UA star last year signed with Nike or Adidas schools. Let's hear him spin that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom