Recently Watched Movies 2023 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2023

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I watched this a couple nights ago. Never saw the TV series, so I was a bit behind, but it was still enjoyable as a stand alone.
I just started the series yesterday.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Pianist. We had time, so put this on. Story of a Jewish Polish Pianist at the time of the Nazi occupation of Poland, and creation of the Warsaw Ghettos for Jews and eventually the "resettlement" to "work camps" and the Warsaw uprising. Adrien Brody is the lead. This was nominated for a few Oscars when it came out. Filled with good performances, and obviously a very personal film for Roman Polanski. It could use some editing, and it's a slog, but Polanski takes that time to show over and over the misery, horror and inhumanity of it all. It touches on many small stories of people along the way. The perseverance of these people is a marvel. That comes through clearly. What I would have liked is a bit more of a story arc.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I just started the series yesterday.

The Series starts good, but loses a bit of its fastball when Alfred dies in Season 3 (I think). I don't consider this a spoiler since all the historical characters in the show are dead given that the events happened almost 1200 years ago.

Reaction Score
Richard Jewell (2019-Hulu) - Clint Eastwood made this movie as an anti-media and anti-FBI homage about the events of the Centennial Park bombing in 1996. The real-life Richard Jewell was kind of a hapless cop-wannabe that discovered a suspicious package at a concert at the Olympics, and saved dozens or possibly hundreds of lives in moving people away from it minutes before it exploded. Within days, several rogue FBI agents tried to railroad Jewell into responsibility for the Centennial Park bombing. The movie accurately portrays a lot of abominable behavior by the FBI agents on the case, and Jon Hamm is the perfect actor to play the role that was an amalgamation of several real-life agents. The movie sticks to the facts with the FBI agents, and they still come out looking really awful. Something does not quite hold together about their motivations though. The movie was already getting legal heat as it was about to be released, so maybe Eastwood didn't want to venture down that road, but it feels like the movie wanted to say more about why the FBI agents tried to destroy Richard Jewell, but it didn't make it into the final version.

I don't think Eastwood handled the Atlanta Journal's reporter's motivations well at all. The real life reporter was named Kathy Scruggs, and she is played by Olivia Wilde, who is OK in the role. Early in the movie, there is an implication that she traded s e x for information, which was just a stupid thing for Eastwood to do as a Director given that they can not prove the real Scruggs ever did that and it became a focus in a lot of the movie publicity at the time it was released. On the other hand, an exploration of what a mess the real Scruggs was, including many volatile and sketchy boyfriends, and what appears to have been a drug addiction given she died from an overdose in 2001, would have been much more interesting. She had a reputation for pushing boundaries in personal and professional life, and made a lot of mistakes. How did the Atlanta Journal editor ever go along on such an explosive story on the Centennial Park bombing, that ultimately wrecked Jewell's life, when the reporter was such a mess? None of that is covered in the movie, but it seems like such an interesting story.

This movie is a perfect illustration of why I call Eastwood the anti-Tarantino. QT never lets you forget you are watching a movie. Eastwood never lets you know you are watching a movie. He shoots simply. Rarely moves to the camera in a way that you notice the shot. The characters are always real and underplayed even in the most dramatic of moments.

Kathy Bates is tremendous in this film. Completely authentic. Choosing Sam Rockwell proved very wise, Eastwood was able to bring out his humanity and Rockwell slows plays the tenuous and growing relationship between Bryant and Jewell. The Hauser character is treated with respect and empathy even as he is portrayed as an arrognat loser by Hauser. The story itself results in this movie being less than stellar. But it is a telling warning about how the government and media would rather crush the innocent than admit a mistake.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Richard Jewell (2019-Hulu) - Clint Eastwood made this movie as an anti-media and anti-FBI homage about the events of the Centennial Park bombing in 1996. The real-life Richard Jewell was kind of a hapless cop-wannabe that discovered a suspicious package at a concert at the Olympics, and saved dozens or possibly hundreds of lives in moving people away from it minutes before it exploded. Within days, several rogue FBI agents tried to railroad Jewell into responsibility for the Centennial Park bombing. The movie accurately portrays a lot of abominable behavior by the FBI agents on the case, and Jon Hamm is the perfect actor to play the role that was an amalgamation of several real-life agents. The movie sticks to the facts with the FBI agents, and they still come out looking really awful. Something does not quite hold together about their motivations though. The movie was already getting legal heat as it was about to be released, so maybe Eastwood didn't want to venture down that road, but it feels like the movie wanted to say more about why the FBI agents tried to destroy Richard Jewell, but it didn't make it into the final version.

I don't think Eastwood handled the Atlanta Journal's reporter's motivations well at all. The real life reporter was named Kathy Scruggs, and she is played by Olivia Wilde, who is OK in the role. Early in the movie, there is an implication that she traded s e x for information, which was just a stupid thing for Eastwood to do as a Director given that they can not prove the real Scruggs ever did that and it became a focus in a lot of the movie publicity at the time it was released. On the other hand, an exploration of what a mess the real Scruggs was, including many volatile and sketchy boyfriends, and what appears to have been a drug addiction given she died from an overdose in 2001, would have been much more interesting. She had a reputation for pushing boundaries in personal and professional life, and made a lot of mistakes. How did the Atlanta Journal editor ever go along on such an explosive story on the Centennial Park bombing, that ultimately wrecked Jewell's life, when the reporter was such a mess? None of that is covered in the movie, but it seems like such an interesting story.
It’s been a while since I watched this, but I don’t know if I would defined the movies being anti-media/anti-FBI so much as a cautionary tale of a rush to judgment. I think there was a desire to get a quick resolution, and Richard Jewell was a convenient foil. You can’t help but feel sorry for the guy, who gets publicly vilified for trying to do the right thing. Nice job on the acting all the way around.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Pitch Black. Somebody mentioned this series, so it was rewatch time. Riddick is a cool character. The pilot is super cute. The collector dude has his priorities right with the smuggled booze. The kid was obviously a girl. Crash on a nasty planet, waste time bickering and become fodder for the locals when it finally gets dark. I don't know what the moral of the story is but maybe, when you have bigger problems, focus on those. Riddick wasn't the problem. I don't remember the 2nd movie, but this was fun enough to give it a watch.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Pitch Black. Somebody mentioned this series, so it was rewatch time. Riddick is a cool character. The pilot is super cute. The collector dude has his priorities right with the smuggled booze. The kid was obviously a girl. Crash on a nasty planet, waste time bickering and become fodder for the locals when it finally gets dark. I don't know what the moral of the story is but maybe, when you have bigger problems, focus on those. Riddick wasn't the problem. I don't remember the 2nd movie, but this was fun enough to give it a watch.
Does Pitch Black have a moral to it? Who is the hero? Certainly not the drugged up bounty hunter guy. I guess maybe the pilot whose screwup caused or contributed to the crash, but ultimately redeems herself by standing up to Riddick. I don’t know if I would even call Riddick an antihero. He is a pretty bad guy/borderline monster. That is a part of his charm. I guess he redeems himself by not killing the pilot, and just flying off on his own, which he was completely capable of doing.

Although they are all pretty good, I think the second movie might be my favorite of the series. The necromancer’s are excellent villains, and the ending line of the movie is perfect. My favorite scene is probably the “cup scene” in the prison. You’ll know it when you see it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Rommel (2012, Prime). Have long been fascinated by this guy. This movie is in German with English subtitles, but it didn't detract from the viewing experience for me. It primarily occurs in 1944. Rommel is back from Africa and put in charge of ensuring Germany is prepared for an inevitable Allied invasion between Normandy and Calais. The movie more or less adheres to the legend, with Rommel being anti-Hitler, but not to the point of supporting an assassination. He's resigned to losing the war, but wants to bring home alive as many troops as possible. There's some interesting intrigue here between members of the Nazi high command, most of whom are simply out to protect their own hides. There's enough here on Operation Valkyrie that makes me want to rewatch that movie even though I didn't think much of it the only time I saw it. As a military film, there's not much field action, it's mostly politics and family life, but Rommel is such an interesting guy that if you know anything about him, you should find this an enjoyable viewing.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Rommel (2012, Prime). Have long been fascinated by this guy. This movie is in German with English subtitles, but it didn't detract from the viewing experience for me. It primarily occurs in 1944. Rommel is back from Africa and put in charge of ensuring Germany is prepared for an inevitable Allied invasion between Normandy and Calais. The movie more or less adheres to the legend, with Rommel being anti-Hitler, but not to the point of supporting an assassination. He's resigned to losing the war, but wants to bring home alive as many troops as possible. There's some interesting intrigue here between members of the Nazi high command, most of whom are simply out to protect their own hides. There's enough here on Operation Valkyrie that makes me want to rewatch that movie even though I didn't think much of it the only time I saw it. As a military film, there's not much field action, it's mostly politics and family life, but Rommel is such an interesting guy that if you know anything about him, you should find this an enjoyable viewing.
Thanks. This is on my list. He was a brilliant tank commander for sure, and an interesting character. I always remember the scene in Patton where he yells across the battlefield "I read your damned book!" I use CC anyway, so subtitles don't bother me at all. As for Valkyrie, I liked the movie quite a bit. Tom Cruise is always Tom Cruise, but still it was exciting and well paced. Like a somewhat more realistic Mission Impossible movie.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Thanks. This is on my list. He was a brilliant tank commander for sure, and an interesting character. I always remember the scene in Patton where he yells across the battlefield "I read your damned book!" I use CC anyway, so subtitles don't bother me at all. As for Valkyrie, I liked the movie quite a bit. Tom Cruise is always Tom Cruise, but still it was exciting and well paced. Like a somewhat more realistic Mission Impossible movie.
Did you ever watch "Conspiracy" with Branagh and Tucci? It's the singularly most depressing movie I think I've ever seen, but the acting is top notch, especially considering the cast has to act out justifying the most heinous acts as if it's all in a day's work.

Reaction Score
Watched Creed 3 this week.

Let me preface this by saying, I consider myself to be an expert on the Rocky movies. I've seen the original at least 200 times and can recite the entire script along with the movie, including the grunts while training and boxing.

Creed 3 is the worst of all the movies in the Rocky catalog. And that's coming from someone who didn't think it would be possible to unseat Rocky 5 as the worst Rocky movie ever.

I was clearly skeptical when Stallone cut ties with anything related to it and that proved to be an easy call for him. There is no "Rocky" feel to it at all. The forced storyline with his deaf daughter is awful. The premise and performance by the new "challenger" is blocky and ridiculous. I really liked the first two Creeds and actually have the first one way up the charts on my rankings....but wow. Put this franchise to sleep for good now.

Reaction Score
My current rank:

Rocky
Rocky 3
Creed 1
Rocky 4
Rocky 2
Creed 2
Rocky Balboa
Rocky 5
Creed 3

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Valkyrie's plot is ridiculous, and amazingly, is mostly accurate to what actually happened. It would have been one of the oddest happy events in the last 200 years of Western Civilization if the bloodiest war in history was ended by a plot that ridiculous.

The plot would have worked, but Stauffenberg and his assistant left the bunker before the bomb went off. Someone had to make it a suicide mission and make sure that Hitler was dead.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Valkyrie's plot is ridiculous, and amazingly, is mostly accurate to what actually happened. It would have been one of the oddest happy events in the last 200 years of Western Civilization if the bloodiest war in history was ended by a plot that ridiculous.

The plot would have worked, but Stauffenberg and his assistant left the bunker before the bomb went off. Someone had to make it a suicide mission and make sure that Hitler was dead.
You'd also think that for an attempt like that where they had two bombs, there would've been a simpler mechanism for a guy with only one hand and three fingers to assemble. Alas, they ran out of time and were afraid of being discovered, so only armed one. That blast was deflected either by resting the briefcase against a thick oak table leg or as also been suggested, some fat Nazi moved it a few feet so he could stand closer to Hitler.

Apparently, the reason von Stauffenberg couldn't die along with Hitler was that he was supposed to be the key to the new government. He was seemingly willing to die in the attempt but was persuaded not to by key people in the German resistance.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
"Champions" is streaming on Peacock. Woody Harrelson plays Woody Harrelson, Kaitlin Olson plays a slightly toned down Kaitlin Olson. Cheech Marin and Ernie Hudson show up for he party. Some laughs and some feel good stuff. Worth a watch I thought.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Bad Teacher (2011) - Lots of laughs in this moderately dumb comedy. Nothing groundbreaking. A classic "paycheck" movie for the stars.

Cameron Diaz pulls it off as a gold digger diva.

Justin Timberlake does well as a rich, nerdy substitute teacher.

Lucy Punch is pretty funny as Diaz' antagonist.

Eric Stonestreet is hysterical in his small role appearances.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Watched a couple of movies I'd never heard of this week and both were worthwhile.

In the Loop (2009, Prime). A black comedy about hawks v doves in the US and UK regarding a potential war brewing. Where the war is and what it's about doesn't really matter here. The movie is basically a thin plot that acts as a vehicle for lampooning the absurdity of the process in going about picking sides, as well as showcasing a torrent of vile, scathing, obscene and often extremely funny insults, many delivered by Peter Capaldi (Dr. Who) who is brilliant in this farce. Also stars David Rasche as a smug US conservative war hawk leading the charge to go to war, James Gandolfini as a US General who wishes to avoid it, Tom Hollander as a UK minister being manipulated by the press, and a strong cast playing subordinates who have to deal with the madness. I don't know if actually having more of a plot would've mattered here as it's simply the characters and the rapid-fire insults and obscenities that make the film.

You Kill Me (2007, Prime). Another take on the alcoholic hitman fails and tries to redeem himself trope, but it's well played. Ben Kingsley is the alcoholic hitman. He blows a chance to kill the head of the local Irish mob (Dennis Farina) because he gets drunk and passes out while waiting for the opportunity. Banished to another city and told to enter AA, Kingsley's character tries and repeatedly fails at staying sober, but during his brief periods of sobriety meets a woman who has issues with personal boundaries and they start a relationship. It's a fairly predictable plot, but the two leads make it work. Leoni delivers most of the laughs - I think she's one of the most underrated female comedic leads of the past 30 years and it's somewhat inexplicable why we haven't seen here in more comedies - while Kingsley plays things relatively straight. They're an oddball romantic pairing that doesn't seem like it would work, or could even happen, yet it does and you're happy it did.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Coincidentally, the last two movies I saw in a theater at had to do with British public service. And I enjoyed both very much. The Lost King dramatizes the true story of finding Richard III remains in a parking lot. I had heard bits and pieces, the story is interesting and infuriating.

Living was really something. It never quite goes where you think it will so I hesitate to talk too much plot. Yes, tears are jerked but it's much more than just that. Parts will stay with me.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Dear Zoe" is a tough watch, but some good performances. I never got hooked into Stranger Things, so I was unfamiliar with Sadie Sink. She's the main character and has a powerhouse performance. She plays a guilt ridden girl who's little half sister died in a tragic accident, and she blames herself. Her family is all falling apart in different ways. She can't stand it anymore, so runs away to stay with her estranged dad, who has plenty of issues of his own.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sometimes something I've been waiting a while to see, and just can't find anywhere, suddenly pops up on Hoopla or Kanopy. Found one of those the other day and finally watched it--"Poser." About a young woman who desperately wants to insinuate herself into the underground music scene in Columbus, OH. So she starts a podcast to begin mingling with some of the artists. Problem is there is nothing authentic about her and she doesn't really have a voice of her own, so she fakes everything and resorts to stealing. It wasn't a great movie, but I found it interesting enough. I've seen the lead actress twice now--Sylvie Mix. I found her performances enjoyable in both. Also of note was the object of her obsession, an actual underground musician from Columbus named Bobbi Kitten who played a version of herself in the film.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Draft Day. Kevin Costner is an NFL GM of the Browns. Jennifer Garner is his GF. Frank Langella the Browns' owner. Some pretty good casting here. Chadwick Bozeman is linebacker hoping to be drafted. Dennis Leary is a somewhat annoying new head coach of the Browns. Loads of cameos and the movie obviously had the blessing of the NFL and ESPN. It's a fun watch but isn't very realistic. The trades that occur are ridiculous and would never happen. But some of the rest of it feels fairly accurate.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Draft Day. Kevin Costner is an NFL GM of the Browns. Jennifer Garner is his GF. Frank Langella the Browns' owner. Some pretty good casting here. Chadwick Bozeman is linebacker hoping to be drafted. Dennis Leary is a somewhat annoying new head coach of the Browns. Loads of cameos and the movie obviously had the blessing of the NFL and ESPN. It's a fun watch but isn't very realistic. The trades that occur are ridiculous and would never happen. But some of the rest of it feels fairly accurate.
It looked a little like this year's Lions draft.

It's an enjoyable watch if silly. Could've done without mom and the ex with the ashes though. That was more ridiculous than the trades.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The natural follow up Moneyball. I've been in the mood lately. Brad Pitt is an excellent Billey Beane. I like the story here, including his back history as a player, his family and daughter, and the weird obsession he has with not watching the games. But the main story is how he and Pete Berg changed the game. I think this is closer to reality than Draft Day, even if it embellishes here and there. After all, this happened. The As did make these trades and fire their head scout. The old guys sitting around talking about tools and using absurd language to describe players feels 100% spot on to me. We've learned since that what those guys saw was useful but incomplete, just like statistical analysis is useful but incomplete. Have to blend the two. It's been interesting that every team now does that, and so Billy can't get undervalued guys with the As now. The arbitrage opportunity is gone.

Side Note: In Oceans 11 and other Oceans movies, Brad Pitt is always eating in every scene. It's almost the same here. I don't know if that's a Brad thing or a Billy thing, or a thing Brad picked up playing Billy.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
There are maybe five movies that, if I'm scrolling the TV menu and see they're on, I'll watch regardless of where in the movie I'm starting. Moneyball is one of them. Yes, it has truth, but also a ton of oversights, if not actual inaccuracies. But it's a great script treatment considering it's from a book that's probably a slog for a non-baseball fan due to the highly detailed analytics throughout. Pitt is great in it, as is Jonah Hill.

Will also note that Eric Kubota (the guy Billy seemed to randomly pick as scouting director after firing Grady Buson) is still scouting director 22 years later. Although it seems it's time for both him and Billy to pack their bags based on past two seasons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom