Recently Watched Movies 2023 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2023

Reaction Score
Nah. She didn't do anything. Hers was a lifetime award for sure. Ke Huy Quan was outstanding and deserved the supporting actor role. Think about his role bouncing back and forth from husband to guy from different alternate realities and explaining to Michelle Yeoh. He was the best thing in the movie. Plus you have to love the comeback story for the kid who was Short Round in Indiana Jones.
I don't know. For me, the only time the movie didn't seem like an amateur fan-flick was in the IRS office with JLC on screen. Outside of that, every other second was amateur hour

Plus, I don't know how she even qualifies for a lifetime achievement award at the Oscars. I'm not sure she's been in a single other film that deserved any oscar buzz at all.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't know. For me, the only time the movie didn't seem like an amateur fan-flick was in the IRS office with JLC on screen. Outside of that, every other second was amateur hour

Plus, I don't know how she even qualifies for a lifetime achievement award at the Oscars. I'm not sure she's been in a single other film that deserved any oscar buzz at all.
Was her only Oscar nomination, so yeah, "lifetime achievement" seems a stretch. But both Knives Out and A Fish Called Wanda were nominees for best screenplay, so there's that. And she was nominated eight times for best or best supporting actress by the Golden Globes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)

I haven’t seen this in years and I thought I would take a look at it to see if it is as good as I remember. It was.

A lot of spoilers in here, but the story is well known.
The story is about Edmund Dantes, who is betrayed by a jealous friend, a jealous rival and a prosecutor trying to hide his own connection to treason. Dantes is sent to Château D’if a notorious French prison without trial. There he is left without human contact, except for the opening, and closing of a door in his cell twice a day, once to get a plate of watery broth and another to pass out his water bucket. Once a year on the anniversary of his imprisonment he is brutally whipped. At first, his faith sustains him as he repeatedly curves, the phrase “God will grant me justice” into the wall but eventually he loses his faith and all hope. Even his attempted suicide are fruitless. If this changes after eight years on another prisoner, mistakenly tunnels his way into Dantes cell. The new prisoner, a priest, enlists Dantes help in exchange for his teaching, the illiterate Dantes, how to read, philosophy, economics, science, math, fencing, etc. After 13 years in prison, Dantes escapes and begins to take vengeance on those who have wronged him.
It is an epic tale of betrayal, vengeance and faith.

Jim Caviezel stars as Edmund Dantes with strong supporting roles by Guy Pearce, Luis Guzmán and Richard Harris as the priest. Dagmara Dominczyk looks lovely as she mumbles her way through her role as Mercedes, Dantes love, interest. Also interesting to see Henry Cavill as a chunky teen in the movie.

If you’ve never seen this, it is a very good, though a little long, movie. If you have seen it before, it is well worth the rewatch.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Was her only Oscar nomination, so yeah, "lifetime achievement" seems a stretch. But both Knives Out and A Fish Called Wanda were nominees for best screenplay, so there's that. And she was nominated eight times for best or best supporting actress by the Golden Globes.
Yes, and she’s Hollywood royalty. She’s been in a lot of good movies even if not the Oscar type, plus her parents are Janet Leigh and Tony Curtis. They don’t give lifetime awards to people who could have already won a few. They’re for people who had a long career without that chance. Her best acting was probably in the original Halloween but they wouldn’t have considered that.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yes, and she’s Hollywood royalty. She’s been in a lot of good movies even if not the Oscar type, plus her parents are Janet Leigh and Tony Curtis. They don’t give lifetime awards to people who could have already won a few. They’re for people who had a long career without that chance. Her best acting was probably in the original Halloween but they wouldn’t have considered that.
Hell, she deserved one for the dance routine in True Lies ;)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Fablemens. The acting is pretty good, especially the lead kid as a teen. The story is just too long and unfolds too slowly. We picked up on the big family twist long before it was revealed. The scenes where Sam Fabelman makes movies are a bit tedious and overly long. This is another movie where, aside from Sam and his girlfriend later in the movie, I didn’t like anybody. Mom was annoying. Dad was a good man but boring and oblivious. The first hour is worse than the second hour and a half, and could have been edited heavily. The girlfriend saves it for me, she’s adorable, sweet, funny and despite being odd in one way, grounded in reality. The final scene is good.

Reaction Score
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022).

I loved this movie.

Was intrigued by the preview due to its weird presence: Nicholas Cage playing Nicholas Cage who after personal and financial dire straits take a $1M job to fly to Majorca and attend a wealthy fan's (played by Pedro Pascal) birthday party only to learn that he is the subject of a major political kidnapping.

It's absurd, it's beautifully shot, the chemistry between Cage/Pascal is excellent (Pascal is hilarious in the movie) and the plot was well driven and had enough unpredictable twists to keep me locked in.

One of the better movies I've seen in a while.

Reaction Score

I loved this movie.

Was intrigued by the preview due to its weird presence: Nicholas Cage playing Nicholas Cage who after personal and financial dire straits take a $1M job to fly to Majorca and attend a wealthy fan's (played by Pedro Pascal) birthday party only to learn that he is the subject of a major political kidnapping.

It's absurd, it's beautifully shot, the chemistry between Cage/Pascal is excellent (Pascal is hilarious in the movie) and the plot was well driven and had enough unpredictable twists to keep me locked in.

Funny movie. Cage plays off of Cage's persona beautifully. Just enough of a story line to make the thing work. I enjoyed it. A fun if forgettable two hours.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I loved this movie.

It’s also loaded with Easter Eggs and references back to scenes in his movies. Super enjoyable.

Reaction Score
Meet Me in the Bathroom (2022)

Caught this documentary on the plane today. Follows the bands from the burgeoning indie rock scene from the late 90s through 9/11 and the post-gentrification fall out of bands leaving NYC.

Overall, found it really interesting. Most focus on The Strokes (their rise to fame was lightning quick!), the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Interpol.

I started seeing shows in NYC 2002/2003ish so really interesting to see what that scene was like just before I started seeing live music.

Reaction Score
Everything Everywhere All at Once

Watch the movie from the beginning to the end still don't know what the movie is talking about. Low budget, low sound, low video, low everything.

Wonder what happens to the Oscar? There are no other movies around?
My favorite line is when she's in the alternate reality that she's a superstar and she says, "I can't wait to tell Waymond I'm a superstar without him."

Is she....
1) Wanting to stick it to him because she became "successful" in a reality where she doesn't meet him?

Or......

2) Wanting to share with him because she loves him so much?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Dragged Across Concrete (2018) Netflix - Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn star in one of the more original heist films I have ever seen. This movie is a bit slow at times, but well worth the watch.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Dragged Across Concrete (2018) Netflix - Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn star in one of the more original heist films I have ever seen. This movie is a bit slow at times, but well worth the watch.
Slow is understating it. There were long stretches where is was as dull as sitting in your car on a stakeout. Mostly because the characters were just sitting in their car on a stakeout. I think it was supposed to be a dialogue on how traditional values are no longer valued or something (Mel's inability to rise in his career through hard work only, a woman's inability to stay home with her kid, etc.), but in the end, there's not a single likeable character. Seemed a bit too neatly wrapped up, and at least 40 minutes too long.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Sinister. Ethan Hawke, lots of Ethan Hawke. He's on screen constantly and plays an author of true crime novels. He had a hit, then a couple of duds and is trying to get his mojo back covering an awful crime. In doing so, he does something stupid, and moves his family to house where it happened. Some things happen and he comes to understand the story is much bigger than this one awful crime. As one would expect from a horror/thriller, he and his family become part of the story. This movie is scary as hell. Super dark and atmospheric, it doesn't' rely on cheap thrills or gore, its just scary. You feel like something could happen at any time. My niece is an expert on horror movies, she's seen them all, and considers this among the scariest (with the sequel even more so). If you like this kind of thing, check it out. It's well done.

Reaction Score
Aftersun- Paul Mescal is a 31 year old divorced dad taking his daughter on a turkish vacation. The whole movie centers around the two of them with parts being shown through the vantage point of them filming each other through a camera. Paul's character is battling depression and coming to age while his 11 year old daughter is similarly trying to process love and becoming a teenager. There's a lot of metaphors and the visuals are very well done. Overall is a pretty sad movie but still very solid.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Slow is understating it. There were long stretches where is was as dull as sitting in your car on a stakeout. Mostly because the characters were just sitting in their car on a stakeout. I think it was supposed to be a dialogue on how traditional values are no longer valued or something (Mel's inability to rise in his career through hard work only, a woman's inability to stay home with her kid, etc.), but in the end, there's not a single likeable character. Seemed a bit too neatly wrapped up, and at least 40 minutes too long.

I liked your post because of the stakeout comment.

I think the movie was deliberately not trying to make any moral judgements about anything. I think that was the point. And there isn't a likable character, just degrees of unlikeable to hated.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
"Changeland" was something I took a flyer with on Hulu. I was thinking comedy. It wasn't so much. I'm not even quite sure how to describe it. But I did enjoy it. Interesting reunion of a bunch of kid or teen stars--Seth Green, Breckin Meyer, Macaulay Culkin, Brenda Song...and Randy Orton for good measure (?). Seth had planned a surprise anniversary trip to Thailand a year in advance for his wife. Found out just before the trip she was cheating. So he never told her about the trip, went without her and took his estranged former best friend Breckin. One of those movies where not much happens. They travel around several islands. Meet other people. Talk about life. Have some adventures. Thailand is beautiful. And Randy held his own.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A Simple Favor (2018, Amazon) - Anna Kendrick, Blake Lively, Henry Golding, Andrew Rannells and cameos by Jean Smart, Rupert Friend and Linda Cardellini, along with a bunch of "that guys" like the actress who plays Michelle in the first two seasons of Mythic Quest. A good whodunit with a bunch of decent twists. The ending could have been better, but it could have been worse too. Entertaining, and fun.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)

I haven’t seen this in years and I thought I would take a look at it to see if it is as good as I remember. It was.

A lot of spoilers in here, but the story is well known.
The story is about Edmund Dantes, who is betrayed by a jealous friend, a jealous rival and a prosecutor trying to hide his own connection to treason. Dantes is sent to Château D’if a notorious French prison without trial. There he is left without human contact, except for the opening, and closing of a door in his cell twice a day, once to get a plate of watery broth and another to pass out his water bucket. Once a year on the anniversary of his imprisonment he is brutally whipped. At first, his faith sustains him as he repeatedly curves, the phrase “God will grant me justice” into the wall but eventually he loses his faith and all hope. Even his attempted suicide are fruitless. If this changes after eight years on another prisoner, mistakenly tunnels his way into Dantes cell. The new prisoner, a priest, enlists Dantes help in exchange for his teaching, the illiterate Dantes, how to read, philosophy, economics, science, math, fencing, etc. After 13 years in prison, Dantes escapes and begins to take vengeance on those who have wronged him.
It is an epic tale of betrayal, vengeance and faith.

Jim Caviezel stars as Edmund Dantes with strong supporting roles by Guy Pearce, Luis Guzmán and Richard Harris as the priest. Dagmara Dominczyk looks lovely as she mumbles her way through her role as Mercedes, Dantes love, interest. Also interesting to see Henry Cavill as a chunky teen in the movie.

If you’ve never seen this, it is a very good, though a little long, movie. If you have seen it before, it is well worth the rewatch.

Great movie. A few years ago, I read the unabridged version of the book, which was very long and excellent.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Tetris (2023, AppleTV) - While the movie has some flaws, it is very entertaining and a very good film overall. The premise is a complicated rights negotiation between and among two separate buyer's agents (Robert Stein and Henk Rogers), a Japanese gaming company (Nintendo), a corrupt media conglomerate (Robert Maxwell) and the Soviet Union. I know the software industry relatively well, and I had a hard time following the plot. It is an interesting story about the origins of a massive hit of a video game, but it is also an exploration of the parallel corruptions of capitalism (as personified by Maxwell) and Communism. That said, Nintendo comes out looking really good in this movie.

My only significant complaint is a Argo-ian chase scene late in the movie that I felt was contrived, but that is if I am looking for things to complain about. This movie is pretty good.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom