Recently Watched Movies 2022 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2022

Reaction Score
The Last Duel. 2021.

14th century France. The friendship between a Knight (Damon) and a squire (Adam Driver) unravels as their fortunes head in different directions until they ultimately fight to the death in a well attended duel. The film is long, slow, tedious and dull. Ridley Scott usually delivers better. I am a fan of set pieces that transport us to a different time. Not this one. One Star.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Love, Rosie (2014) - was working late tonight and needed something on in the background that I didn't need to be watching too closely, so I flipped through Starz and found this. It is not the worst romcom movie I have ever seen, but it could have been a lot better. First, Lily Collins and Sam Claflin are two good actors that look the part of romcom leads. The basic premise of a long term, almost love affair where the timing was never quite right, from teenage years through 20's is not particularly original, but I was not expecting much so whatever. The movie is based on a book, and there are some pretty good monologues that were probably pulled straight from the book, but a lot of the bridge scenes and dialogue are really weak. Like bad sitcom writing weak. Also, the Collins' character seems kind of hopeless and unambitious about anything, and the Claflin character comes off as a shallow, pretentious jerk, so by the middle of the movie, I had trouble caring about the plot because the best thing for both characters would be for them not to get together. Overall, this felt like a Netflix film, kind of slapped together with a bunch of semi-recognizable pretty people to keep your eyes on the screen and distract you from the fact that the writing was lazy and the half the plot was completely unnecessary.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Last Duel. 2021.

14th century France. The friendship between a Knight (Damon) and a squire (Adam Driver) unravels as their fortunes head in different directions until they ultimately fight to the death in a well attended duel. The film is long, slow, tedious and dull. Ridley Scott usually delivers better. I am a fan of set pieces that transport us to a different time. Not this one. One Star.

Have been tempted by this. Mixed reviews. I keep fearing it will be exactly as you described.

Reaction Score
Have been tempted by this. Mixed reviews. I keep fearing it will be exactly as you described.
Have to say, I get that impression from the trailer. If you can't hook me with 2 minutes of highlights, yikes.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Tender Bar. 2021. Prime. George Clooney directs. Ben Afflect stars with Lily Rabe and Tye Sheridan. We start with a kid in 1973 in Long Island. But filmed in metro Boston. So for people like @8893 and me there is an instant connection to the era. This was our time/reality. Afflect is his uncle Charlie and reminds me of so many people I knew. Possibly the greatest uncle ever. Christopher Lloyd looking old as his grandfather but playing it very well. Feels real. It’s funny, sweet, nostalgic, intelligent, has epic cars and epic tunes. Love it. I haven’t felt as transported to my time since seeing Frampton live a couple of years ago.

Oh, watch the credits. Classic stuff. This may be Ben Afflect‘s best role.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Tender Bar. 2021. Prime. George Clooney directs. Ben Afflect stars with Lily Rabe and Tye Sheridan. We start with a kid in 1973 in Long Island. But filmed in metro Boston. So for people like @8893 and me there is an instant connection to the era. This was our time/reality. Afflect is his uncle Charlie and reminds me of so many people I knew. Possibly the greatest uncle ever. Christopher Lloyd looking old as his grandfather but playing it very well. Feels real. It’s funny, sweet, nostalgic, intelligent, has epic cars and epic tunes. Love it. I haven’t felt as transported to my time since seeing Frampton live a couple of years ago.

I saw it a few weeks ago and didn’t love it. But I don’t love Affleck and never really have except for his role in Good Will Hunting. I thought this was a pleasant watch but the nostalgia didn’t grab me, especially when the tunes frequently didn’t match the content of the scenes.

I saw Licorice Pizza today—first in-theater movie for us in two years—and liked it better but felt kind of the same in the sense that it seemed like a lot of forced nostalgia, this time in the form of random and meandering scenes and no real plot. Good acting and good ensemble cast, but really aimless excuses for Wonder Years-type music videos to great tunes.

Reaction Score
I saw it a few weeks ago and didn’t love it. But I don’t love Affleck and never really have except for his role in Good Will Hunting. I thought this was a pleasant watch but the nostalgia didn’t grab me, especially when the tunes frequently didn’t match the content of the scenes.

I saw Licorice Pizza today—first in-theater movie for us in two years—and liked it better but felt kind of the same in the sense that it seemed like a lot of forced nostalgia, this time in the form of random and meandering scenes and no real plot. Good acting and good ensemble cast, but really aimless excuses for Wonder Years-type music videos to great tunes.

I went to some movies in the fall and cringed every time I saw the preview for Licorice Pizza.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Watched it last night. Don't know if I'd watch it again, but it was decent. Thought the kid did a great job. Liked the interaction between the older JR and the priest. Lloyd was good. Movie sucked me in instantly playing "Radar Love" with the DJ noting Golden Earring would be opening for The Who at MSG - they were there for 4 nights and I lucked out on having tickets for what Townshend said was the worst concert they'd ever performed. But Earring was great, lol.

I've liked Affleck in a few films. I enjoyed GWH, The Town, The Accountant, and of course, Dogma.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Nightmare Alley 2021. HBOMax. This did $28m at box office. Guillermo del Toro directs and yes it looks good visually. Remake of a 1947 film noir mystery/thriller. Big cast headlined by Bradley Cooper, but also Willem Defoe, Toni Collette, Kate Blanchett, Rooney Mara and more. The story is late 1930s to start into the 40s. The characters are mostly carnies and grifters. Cooper is superb in his role, most are really, but it’s so slow. Critics loved it as a morality play that spawns introspection on humanity. But I didn’t find it that insightful. My wife guessed the ending about half way in. Mixed reviews here. It’s well made if not gripping. Never puts you on the edge of your seat or sucks you in.

Reaction Score
Quackser Fortune Has a Cousin in the Bronx (1970) - This comedy stars Gene Wilder in his fourth film, playing the title role of Quackser Fortune. He plays a young Irish man who makes his living in a self employed endeavor picking up horse manure on the streets of Dublin and selling it as fertilizer. He never got much of an education, and is not exactly up to speed on all the social graces of the various social classes that populate this film Two things happen at the beginning of the film that impact Quackser’s life, both of which find a way of intertwining. Quackser meets an American exchange college student played by Margot Kidder who is spending a semester in Dublin. The two develop a rather odd off and on relationship in this rather oddball film. At the same time, Quacker’s livelihood is threatened by new regulations in Dublin that will ban many horses from the streets of the city. As indicated by the title of the film, Quackser has a relative living in America who from time to time ends up being talked about by Quackser’s family, often as a possible solution to Quackser’s problems that surface during the film. Like I said, this is a rather odd comedy which I had never heard of until recently, but it is rather likable and entertaining.

Reaction Score
Nightmare Alley 2021. HBOMax. This did $28m at box office. Guillermo del Toro directs and yes it looks good visually. Remake of a 1947 film noir mystery/thriller. Big cast headlined by Bradley Cooper, but also Willem Defoe, Toni Collette, Kate Blanchett, Rooney Mara and more. The story is late 1930s to start into the 40s. The characters are mostly carnies and grifters. Cooper is superb in his role, most are really, but it’s so slow. Critics loved it as a morality play that spawns introspection on humanity. But I didn’t find it that insightful. My wife guessed the ending about half way in. Mixed reviews here. It’s well made if not gripping. Never puts you on the edge of your seat or sucks you in.

Visually this is a terrific movie. Perfect 1940s. Shows us everything from the dirt and philth of a moving low rent carnival to the slick deco environs of the rich and powerful. Every frame feels authentic. It's master craftsmanship. The story telling is interesting but drags. What should be suspense and drama becomes waiting to be shown the inevitable. Cut out 45 minutes and it's a much better movie. One and half stars.

Reaction Score
The Last Duel: I mean it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, but every Ridley Scott Movie is the same.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay, I struck out on my last "are these 2 actors the same person?" attempt. Bear with me here. They don't look much alike but Thomas Barbusca and Finn Wolfhard...? Exact same voice, pretty much same persona. I've been streaming "The Mick" and now I'm watching "Ghostbusters: Afterlife." I think I'm on to something this time, they are the same person. Just in different bodies.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Munich: The Edge of War (2021) Jessica Brown Findlay, George MacKay, Jeremy Irons. In theaters, but also on Netflix. This is good. It's an interesting story beginning in 1931 at Oxford as some students from UK and Germany are friends. It quickly shifts to 1938. Hitler prepares to invade Czechoslovakia, and Neville Chamberlain desperately seeks a peaceful solution The British student ends up working for Chamberlain, the German is working against Hitler in secret. This is an espionage thriller, but also a war movie or historical drama given the real life people and events. Irons is a very good Chamberlain. Quite well done, entertaining for anybody who likes these kinds of films.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Any Given Sunday (1999) (HBOMax) - This movie is really good, even 20+ years later. A lot of the themes in the movie, about loyalty and aging and integrity in the face of greed, and corruption of values, are timeless. Pacino was at his peak, and the supporting cast was incredible. Oliver Stone's A game in his prime was really impressive.

Reaction Score
Any Given Sunday (1999) (HBOMax) - This movie is really good, even 20+ years later. A lot of the themes in the movie, about loyalty and aging and integrity in the face of greed, and corruption of values, are timeless. Pacino was at his peak, and the supporting cast was incredible. Oliver Stone's A game in his prime was really impressive.
The first time I watched it I thought it was awful, kind of like an MTV Football movie. But then I really enjoyed it the 2nd time around. Very strange. Maybe because Jamie Foxx wasn't a big movie actor yet, at the time, but he's had a pretty good career. And with Cameron Diaz you got no complaints.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
"The Violent Heart." Streamed it thru Hoopla. Well acted, hard hitting emotionally. I've seen a bit of both of the leads in other stuff, Jovan Adepo and Grace Van Patten. Also has Kimberly Paisley-Williams and Lukas Haas (in my mind he's still the goofy looking kid from Mars Attacks, but that was a long time ago--1996; he's firmly middle aged now, caught me off guard).

I find myself thinking this all the time about various actors/actresses, but it's surprising to me Grace isn't a bigger name in Hollywood. She should be.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Bottle Shock. 2008. Somehow missed this one. Stars Bill Pullman, Chris Pine, Alan Richman and Rachael Taylor. Dennis Farina is funny playing basically the same guy he always plays. This tells the story of the famous 1976 judgement of Paris wine tasting. Richman plays Steven Spurrier a Paris based wine merchant (and snob) who sets the competition and travels to California. Pullman is Jim Barrett owner at Chateau Montelena, Pine his surfer/hippy son Bo. Those three are all real. Gustavo Brambila is Bo’s friend and works for Barrett, but in reality only after these events. Also missing from the true story is Mike Grgich, who was the winemaker at Montelena at the time (not Barrett). Evidently "he did not want to be part of it." Despite playing a bit loose with details this was a hoot. It’s well paced, funny and an enjoyable movie.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Bottle Shock. 2008. Somehow missed this one. Stars Bill Pullman, Chris Pine, Alan Richman and Rachael Taylor. Dennis Farina is funny playing basically the same guy he always plays. This tells the story of the famous 1976 judgement of Paris wine tasting. Richman plays Steven Spurrier a Paris based wine merchant (and snob) who sets the competition and travels to California. Pullman is Jim Barrett owner at Chateau Montelena, Pine his surfer/hippy son Bo. Those three are all real. Gustavo Brambila is Bo’s friend and works for Barrett, but in reality only after these events. Also missing from the true story is Mike Grgich, who was the winemaker at Montelena at the time (not Barrett). Evidently "he did not want to be part of it." Despite playing a bit loose with details this was a hoot. It’s well paced, funny and an enjoyable movie.
I swear I saw this as it's right in my wheelhouse, but I'm not remembering details, so have to watch again.

When you go to Chateau Montelena, you will not escape the story, whether you take the tour or just visit the tasting room. You might hear it 3-4 times.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Death on the Nile. 2022. Went to the cinema for this. RPX theaters at Regal are dangerously loud. So, Branagh as Hercule Poirot again. Armie Hammer as..hunky guy (since disgraced while making this film). Gal Gadot as gorgeous rich woman. Emma Mackey gorgeous not rich woman. Russel Brand, good effort as a Doctor. Rose Leslie, poor Scottish/Irish maid. Sophie Okenado does strong work as a blues singer. The cinematography is first rate. The acting is fine aside from Hammer and Gadot who are meh. The mystery is well, decent. This is a more diverse version of the story, but that’s ok. The blues tunes are a highlight for me. Obviously the British came to love the blues, but I really doubt it was in this era (1937). The backstory on Poirot serving in WWI is appreciated and well done. It’s ok. Wait for streaming or $5 rental.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Train to Busan. 2016. Prime. I heard good things and so gave it a go. Korean Zombie movie. It's indeed good. The Koreans have been killing it lately, with Parasite, and this year Drive My Car is nominated for best picture. Squid Game was a phenomena of course, even if I didn't love it. I don't know who any of these people are, but the lead guy was in Squid Game. The acting all seems good to me, if one guy is a bit exaggerated. Harder to tell with subtitles. The story is one of the best zombie movies you'll see. Imagine if Hitchcock did a Korean zombie movie, it's like that. The people are mostly all stuck on a high speed train, and one infected person got on. The focus is on how the people respond and react. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. Human beings responding to impossible situations, that's what it's about and why it's good. It features relatively few scares but plenty of excitement.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Power of the Dog (2021) -

Had no idea what this one was going to be about. My wife almost had us tap out as it was slooow burning. But we made it to the final for that twist ("my father taught me to remove all obstacles")

Cumberbatch - great
Dunst - great. I mean the look on her face when the parents first visit and she has to play a piano. Amazing.

Glad I saw it. But the movie never gets out of first gear.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Power of the Dog (2021) -

Had no idea what this one was going to be about. My wife almost had us tap out as it was slooow burning. But we made it to the final for that twist ("my father taught me to remove all obstacles")

Cumberbatch - great
Dunst - great. I mean the look on her face when the parents first visit and she has to play a piano. Amazing.

Glad I saw it. But the movie never gets out of first gear.
My wife watched the long preview and told me that if I want to watch it, I'm on my own.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom