Recently Watched Movies 2022 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Recently Watched Movies 2022

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Lost Daughter (Netflix 2021). Drama about a woman who meets a young woman and her daughter on vacation and becomes obsessed with them, triggering dark memories of her own young motherhood. This was another Mrs. 8893 selection and it was so bad that we both agreed to abandon it an hour in, which we rarely do. Written and directed by Maggie Gyllenhaal and somehow got a lot of accolades. Like The Tender Bar, I have a feeling we would never have heard of it but for this fact. Don't waste your time.

Oh thank God. I saw the trailer for this on Netflix and decided against it, but wasn't sure. You saved me an hour. :D

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I've seen bits and pieces of "Hitman: Agent 47" on tv but never saw the whole movie. It's on Hulu, watched it last night. Entertaining enough. It's definitely a hard movie to start watching from the middle. Other than being based on the same video game, it's completely unrelated to the previous Hitman film w/ Timothy Olyphant. Anyway, I couldn't help but think a couple of the fight/gun battle scenes were influenced by Equilibrium and "gun kata."

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Okay BY movie fanatics, is it just me or has anyone else ever thought Gary Cole and William Fichtner are the same person? Both have been in an absolute ton of movies, both great character/supporting actors, both very versatile. I'm never sure which one I'm watching when I see them on screen. Have they ever been seen at the same time in the same place? Just wondering.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Okay BY movie fanatics, is it just me or has anyone else ever thought Gary Cole and William Fichtner are the same person? Both have been in an absolute ton of movies, both great character/supporting actors, both very versatile. I'm never sure which one I'm watching when I see them on screen. Have they ever been see at the same time in the same place? Just wondering.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Okay BY movie fanatics, is it just me or has anyone else ever thought Gary Cole and William Fichtner are the same person? Both have been in an absolute ton of movies, both great character/supporting actors, both very versatile. I'm never sure which one I'm watching when I see them on screen. Have they ever been seen at the same time in the same place? Just wondering.

Nope. I don't see it. Evidently others do. At least since Office Space. Can never forget that. Maybe it's the voice? He does a lot of voice acting and had a distinctive voice.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Nope. I don't see it. Evidently others do. At least since Office Space. Can never forget that. Maybe it's the voice? He does a lot of voice acting and had a distinctive voice.
Okay, just for fun, without looking it up which one played the dad in Talladega Nights and which one was in Blades of Glory? Came out near the same time, sort of similar characters. Both with Will Ferrell coincidentally.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Okay, just for fun, without looking it up which one played the dad in Talladega Nights and which one was in Blades of Glory? Came out near the same time, sort of similar characters. Bot with Will Ferrell coincidentally.
Didn't look it up, but Cole was TN. I didn't see it until a couple years ago and recall thinking, "This guy seems familiar," so I checked out the cast on IMDB during the movie. But never thought he was Fichtner, whom I'd recognize in any role.

Never watched BoG. Zero interest in the story.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Enemy of the State (1998)
Will Smith, Gene Hackman, Jon Voight, Lisa Bonet . . .
I've seen a couple times before but I was surfing and landed on this as it was starting. Lots of young guns make appearances - Scott Caan, Jack Black, Seth Green, Barry Pepper. Not sure if this is my first movie this year but it won't be my last. Gonna build on my Top 10 work from last year.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Enemy of the State (1998)
That movie was kind of prophetic wasn't it? I don't remember the notion of everything everyone does being monitored constantly being a thing at the time.

Also, was Hackman more of less playing the same character as in his 1974 movie "The Conversation?"

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That movie was kind of prophetic wasn't it? I don't remember the notion of everything everyone does being monitored constantly being a thing at the time.

Also, was Hackman more of less playing the same character as in his 1974 movie "The Conversation?"
I don’t know if it was prophetic as much as revealing. I remember watching in amazement at what they were capable of and concluding rather quickly that there was no question that everything they showed was already possible and likely already being done.

It scared the crap out of me, and set me to thinking that the best path is to try and remain uninteresting enough such that no one would ever care to monitor me.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Brazen (2022, Netflix). It was #1 on their weekly top 10 and it had Alyssa Milano as eye candy, so figured it couldn't possibly be a complete waste of time. I was wrong. It's ostensibly a 21st century "Murder She Wrote" with the victims all being dominatrixes. And while she's the star, it appears Milano has taken steps to get her name off this POS. On the IMDB page, she's listed below the cast as "other".

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Finally saw "Dune." Mixed feelings. If the best thing about the movie IMO was the ornithopters (mechanized dragonflies, how freaking cool is that?!), that's probably not a good sign. Minor characters played by Jason Momoa and Josh Brolin were far more interesting to me than the main characters, that's also probably not a good sign. I guess based on the source material it couldn't help it, but it just seemed to get bogged down by prophesies and visions, rather than stuff ACTUALLY happening. I can handle a slower paced movie, in fact I very much enjoyed Villeneuve's "Blade Runner 2049," but I found myself getting kinda bored with this one.

Reaction Score
Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar (2021) - The screenplay for this comedy fantasy film was written by its two stars, Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumalo. The two stars play best friends who live in Nebraska, who decide to go on a vacation together to a resort in Florida. This movie starts a bit slow, but once the setting moves on to its fantastical Florida location, both the comedy and the fantasy get piled on high. They also become involved in a villain's plot for revenge (the villain is also played by Wiig), leading to a bit of adventure to add to the comedy and the fantasy. No question the emphasis of this movie is on the comedic aspects, as not all the fantastical aspects follow any sort of logical form of logic or any form of realism. Everything in this film is done in the service of finding laughs. It also has some annoying aspects, most notably that the two stars often speak the same lines together at the same time all through the film. Recently I saw a column that listed this as one of the top movies of the year. I wouldn’t go that far, but for the most part this movie kept my attention, and while not a great movie, it was certainly entertaining, amusing and full of imagination. Everything in this movie is also pretty much over the top. It wasn't totally my cup of tea, but I did enjoy it.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The King’s Man. 2022. So, went to the cinema to see this. Great cast, Ralph Fiennes, Charles Dance, Gemma Arterton, and it’s bloody awful. The prior Kingsman movies ventured into the absurd in a way that was funny and clearly non serious. This takes real people, and real events including WWI and gives them the same treatment. That just doesn’t work. What makes this so disappointing is that, as a Kingsman origin story (which it is), it could have been terrific. Throw some realism in there, cut the nonsense 2022 sensibility and you have the cast you need. Don’t bother.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The King’s Man. 2022. So, went to the cinema to see this. Great cast, Ralph Fiennes, Charles Dance, Gemma Arterton, and it’s bloody awful. The prior Kingsman movies ventured into the absurd in a way that was funny and clearly non serious. This takes real people, and real events including WWI and gives them the same treatment. That just doesn’t work. What makes this so disappointing is that, as a Kingsman origin story (which it is), it could have been terrific. Throw some realism in there, cut the nonsense 2022 sensibility and you have the cast you need. Don’t bother.
I'd been looking forward to this. Hadn't read any reviews, so this is first I'm hearing it sucks. I'll end up watching it anyway once it hits streaming, but you saved us $20.

Reaction Score
If you really want to see Nina Arianda's acting chops, delve into Goliath on Amazon. She's a relatively minor character at first, but her character almost steals the series from Billy Bob Thornton by the end.
What's your take on the last season ? We really liked the first season, second was meh, watched the first episode of this season and got bored with the acid trip they were on.

Reaction Score
This is a tremendous movie that didn’t get enough attention when it came out. have seen it several times. It always felt to me as though the story also borrowed a bit from Horatio Hornblower.
Agreed. Exceptionally good. And to this day, the movie I'd play to demonstrate surround sound.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'd been looking forward to this. Hadn't read any reviews, so this is first I'm hearing it sucks. I'll end up watching it anyway once it hits streaming, but you saved us $20.

Part of the problem is that my wife is a history major who subscribes to history magazines still. If it doesn’t bother you that real people and events are portrayed in very inaccurate ways, then maybe it’s ok. When you find out who the bad guy is, you’re almost rooting for him because the main good guy is an insufferable.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What's your take on the last season ? We really liked the first season, second was meh, watched the first episode of this season and got bored with the acid trip they were on.
I don't remember all the plot details, but I did watch it all the way through, and quickly, and Nina Arianda's character was the main reason.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thought I might give Peacemaker a shot so I started on Suicide Squad for background. Didn't last very long, no thanks.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I am a total sucker for a dog movie. Earlier in week, I was laid out due to my back so did a double feature of "A Dog's Journey" and "The Art of Racing in the Rain."

On the first, the "boss dog" thing with Dennis Quaid from "A Dog's Purpose" got me again even when I knew it was coming five minutes into the movie. And that's pretty much the only thing the movie has going for it. But if you're a dog lover, you'll watch till the end.

The second wasn't as uplifting, but it did its best to show why dogs are better companions than women ;-)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think I passed on "Overdrive" a while ago and then totally forgot about it. It's streaming on Hulu, so I figured why not? Ana de Armas is in it, so that alone makes it watchable. Scott Eastwood was the only other actor I was previously familiar with. Much of the cast is European. How did I not know Gaia Weiss?

Anyway, from some of the same creative team behind the Fast and Furious movies, so it comes off as kinda derivative. Maybe a bit of The Italian Job as well? Halfway decent mindless entertainment. The plot doesn't make much sense. But some nice scenery. Most of it is supposed to be in Marseille, I don't know if it was shot on location or not, but looked like a beautiful location. And did I mention Ana de Armas and Gaia Weiss?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I am a total sucker for a dog movie. Earlier in week, I was laid out due to my back so did a double feature of "A Dog's Journey" and "The Art of Racing in the Rain."

On the first, the "boss dog" thing with Dennis Quaid from "A Dog's Purpose" got me again even when I knew it was coming five minutes into the movie. And that's pretty much the only thing the movie has going for it. But if you're a dog lover, you'll watch till the end.

The second wasn't as uplifting, but it did its best to show why dogs are better companions than women ;-)

The Tom Hanks Apocalypse movie on Apple+, Finch, is fundamentally a dog movie. I don't recall if I reviewed it here. If not, it was odd, but enjoyable. It doesn't have much interplay with other people, kind of like his role in Castaway, and here "Wilson" is the dog or arguably the robot. But overall it's pretty decent, maybe more so for someone who likes dog movies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Tom Hanks Apocalypse movie on Apple+, Finch, is fundamentally a dog movie. I don't recall if I reviewed it here. If not, it was odd, but enjoyable. It doesn't have much interplay with other people, kind of like his role in Castaway, and here "Wilson" is the dog or arguably the robot. But overall it's pretty decent, maybe more so for someone who likes dog movies.
If it's on Apple+, I won't be seeing it. But if it ever shows up on something I do subscribe to, I'll give it a watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom