OT: - Realignment? | Page 44 | The Boneyard

OT: Realignment?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
when you’re 3-13 vs an opponent all time including multiple 40 point blowouts picking one game you happened to win is peak trolling and absolutely beautiful to see.
Can one troll an outsider on one's home board?

Reaction Score
College football news today article by Pete Fiutak has UConn and UMass going MAC
That’s not exactly what he said:

-> Independent Expansion:

What’s Going On? BYU is off to the Big 12 next year, Liberty and New Mexico State will go to Conference USA, and Notre Dame is going to … that’s the big question.

Best Case Scenario: It doesn’t matter because they’re independent schools, but overall, it would be a plus for Army if it could make its way into the American Athletic Conference, and UConn and UMass might need to play well with others in the MAC or Conference USA – even though UConn bolted from the AAC a few years ago and UMass left the MAC after 2015.

Worst Case Scenario: There’s a shot the big conferences go more to in-league games and squeeze out the paycheck options for the smaller independents.

Crazy Idea That Won’t Work, But … Army makes a big push to be a part of the Big 12. The league landed a national brand in BYU, and getting Army could create a fun weekly buzz for the conference that’s missing a whole lot of brand name is sizzle.

What Will Probably Happen: Outside of Notre Dame, it’s going to be tough to remain an independent. The media deals and alliances – even for the lower conferences – are going to be too strong to overcome. <-

You can read his thoughts on MAC or Conference USA expansion in the same article (Spoiler: no mention of UConn)

Reaction Score
I think it’s easier for us if there are less independents. Less competition for games.

If some dopey college football writer thinks we want the MAC then he should actually look into what we are trying to do here.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
We aren’t talking about the 1980s. The New Big East formed for the 2014 season. It has had Villanova. Xavier went to an Elite 8. Once. PC and Creighton went to Sweet 16s once each. UConn wasn’t in the league in 2014. And hasn’t been the same team since either. Or did you not hear about the NMSU game. You want to count them, that’s fine. What have they done in the last 8 years. Are you counting LaSalle in ranking the A10?
I couldn’t imagine being so delusional that I’d think it would be better to currently be in the AAC for all sports vs Big East for all sports and Indy for football (with 4+ power conference games per year)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That’s not exactly what he said:

-> Independent Expansion:

What’s Going On? BYU is off to the Big 12 next year, Liberty and New Mexico State will go to Conference USA, and Notre Dame is going to … that’s the big question.

Best Case Scenario: It doesn’t matter because they’re independent schools, but overall, it would be a plus for Army if it could make its way into the American Athletic Conference, and UConn and UMass might need to play well with others in the MAC or Conference USA – even though UConn bolted from the AAC a few years ago and UMass left the MAC after 2015.

Worst Case Scenario: There’s a shot the big conferences go more to in-league games and squeeze out the paycheck options for the smaller independents.

Crazy Idea That Won’t Work, But … Army makes a big push to be a part of the Big 12. The league landed a national brand in BYU, and getting Army could create a fun weekly buzz for the conference that’s missing a whole lot of brand name is sizzle.

What Will Probably Happen: Outside of Notre Dame, it’s going to be tough to remain an independent. The media deals and alliances – even for the lower conferences – are going to be too strong to overcome. <-

You can read his thoughts on MAC or Conference USA expansion in the same article (Spoiler: no mention of UConn)
He put UConn and UMass in the same boat. Scary thought that that is the national perception. Article was in Yahoo! Sports. I failed to mention it in my initial post.

Reaction Score
You want to pretend that the Big East had no history before 2014? That’s fine. You want to pretend that what the current members did before the C7 split. That’s fine too. But you left out the fact that Xavier went to the Sweet 16 in 2015 and Butler went to the Sweet 16 in 2016.

I don’t see how recent history of current teams isn’t relevant to what the current league is. Marquette went to an Elite 8 as a member of the Bug East in 2013 and to Sweet 16 in 2011 and 2012. UConn won a NC as a member of the BE in 2011. When the football schools scattered to different conferences the so-called new BE was the continuation of the BE . It has 6 of the founding 8 members. The past accomplishments of its current members still define who the conference is. What other conference and the history of its current members do we pretend didn’t exist before realignment?

The base line of accomplishments for a P5 is the Pac12. If a conference has accomplished as much as the Pac12, then they meet the standard for P5. Please show me how the Pac12 has accomplished more than the Big East in whatever time frame of recent history you want to choose.
You want to pretend that the current band of pretenders bears any resemblance to the Big East of the early 2000s when UConn and Syracuse won back to back titles, the league had multiple Final Four teams several times, one year got so many bids they had to change the rules about when conference mates could play each other? The league that once had 3 Final Four teams? That had 9 Final Four teams in 7 years? The league that had 5 teams in the Top 10 one year? You’re trying to pretend this crew is the same conference as that one? They bought the name, that’s the only connection. If Ringo Star formed a band and called it the Beatles, you’d probable say it was THE Beatles.

I think the New Big East is a fine league. It is sort of local. It is probably better than the next highest league in the area, the A10. It is better than the AAC will be. But it isn’t on the same level as the P5. in part that’s so because nobody cares outside the limited fan bases, and in part because most teams not named Villanova are mid tier major players who nobody outside their fan bases really cares about.

Reaction Score
He put UConn and UMass in the same boat. Scary thought that that is the national perception. Article was in Yahoo! Sports. I failed to mention it in my initial post.
When discussing Independent footballs programs they are in the same classification??

Yahoo picked up the College Football News article as an aggregator - not sure what your point is there?

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It's not the national perception.

Reaction Score
That article is garbage anyways. Media markets don't matter anymore -- what matters is the # of people who watch your games.

That doesn’t work in our favor atm either.

Reaction Score
You want to pretend that the current band of pretenders bears any resemblance to the Big East of the early 2000s when UConn and Syracuse won back to back titles, the league had multiple Final Four teams several times…. The league that once had 3 Final Four teams? That had 9 Final Four teams in 7 years?…. You’re trying to pretend this crew is the same conference as that one? They bought the name, that’s the only connection.

They Big East roared to the top of college hoops in the 1980s.

Does the current band bear any resemblance to the (original) Big East? Providence, St John’s, Georgetown, Seton Hall, UConn, and Villanova.

The league that once had 3 Final Four teams? That would be St John’s, Georgetown, and Villanova. All still members.

The league that had 9 Final Four teams in 7 years. While the Big East had great success in multiple configurations over decades, we are deeply tied to our 80s roots and today’s Big East is more true to its origin than most conferences. Georgetown (3), Nova, St John’s, Providence, Seton Hall, and Syracuse all had Final Fours from 82 to 89, and only Cuse has departed from that list.

You’re trying to pretend this crew is the same conference as that one? They bought the name, that’s the only connection. Providence, St John’s, Georgetown, Seton Hall, UConn, and Villanova.

Which conference is more true to its origins than the Big East?

What is UConn’s better option currently?

Reaction Score
when you’re 3-13 vs an opponent all time including multiple 40 point blowouts picking one game you happened to win is peak trolling and absolutely beautiful to see.
Are you over the age of 60?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think the New Big East is a fine league. It is sort of local. It is probably better than the next highest league in the area, the A10. It is better than the AAC will be. But it isn’t on the same level as the P5.
I agree with all this. What I don't get is how one goes from the above to thinking the AAC is where we should be today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom