Quite frankly | The Boneyard

Quite frankly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good effort and athletic play, what would make it an elite play? I know this will upset some of our wonderful and beloved casual fans. But, keeping the ball in play and turning it into a fast break the other way - is the next level type play that Chief looks for. True, it may not make the highlight reels because a soft tap of the ball to a teammate isn’t as spectacular as a ball batted into the stands but it’s more effective. Chief expects to see James soon.

Reaction Score
Good effort and athletic play, what would make it an elite play? I know this will upset some of our wonderful and beloved casual fans. But, keeping the ball in play and turning it into a fast break the other way - is the next level type play that Chief looks for. True, it may not make the highlight reels because a soft tap of the ball to a teammate isn’t as spectacular as a ball batted into the stands but it’s more effective. Chief expects to see James soon.
Just curious.. what was Bouk's response when you told him this? Was he disappointed, understanding, in agreement or what? Do tell.

Reaction Score

I would expect Chief to have a better bball IQ than this. If you’re under your opponents basket the intent is to get the ball outside of the paint (this is what we have always coached in AAU and high school). The same reasoning as to why you should never try to save the ball under your opponents hoops. This is basketball 101…

Reaction Score
I would expect Chief to have a better bball IQ than this. If you’re under your opponents basket the intent is to get the ball outside of the paint (this is what we have always coached in AAU and high school). The same reasoning as to why you should never try to save the ball under your opponents hoops. This is basketball 101…
Watch some Bill Russell videos my young man. He was the master of that lost art. Bill Walton was pretty good at it too. Your sequence objectives are:
1) Stop the opponents shot
2) Obtain possession of the ball
3) Turn into a fastbreak going the other way
4) Convert into a hoop on the other end
Yes, Russell would start 1-4 with a block (#1) and would fill the lanes and end up with the lay-up dunk (#4). That dude was amazing. One of the most intelligent players, Chief ever watched. Even non Bigs could learn a lot about how the game should be played by watching Russell videos.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just curious.. what was Bouk's response when you told him this? Was he disappointed, understanding, in agreement or what? Do tell.
Haven’t connected since this was posted. Emeka actually became very good at it.

Chief’s advice is tell the young guns don’t be satisfied with just #1, try to achieve #2. A block shot out of bounds just gives possession back to the other team. True, Russell occasionally would block it off the shot taker and then it would go out of bounds and the Celtics would get possession. But, that’s too legendary for mere mortals to try.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Ok he has a glaring weakness, and it’s not defense. He has tunnel vision. I think he should watch more tape he’s not making the correct reads. No way he can play point at this juncture. The defense collapses on him there are open guys all over the place. Instead of attempting difficult shots(which often go in) he needs to make proper reads. You can’t win with your primary pieces playing like this. He may end up being like a bucket getter off the bench. He can be an all star if his vision improves. It will also open up space for himself.

Reaction Score
Husky99 thinks chief is comparing apples and volkswagen. A Casual fan would understand Russell and Ok4 are both front court players and skill sets are very different. Husky99 is not impressed with this post and thinks chief should go back to the drawing board...
Side note. Russell was
NBA All-Defensive Team in
1969 and 3x nba all star...
This is very casual assessment

Reaction Score
I'm curious where you want him to tip it to a teammate. Two following the play are out of bounds under the hoop and the third has three players from the other team around him.
Good point about guys being out of bounds. How does that happen so often now?

Reaction Score
Husky99 thinks chief is comparing apples and volkswagen. A Casual fan would understand Russell and Ok4 are both front court players and skill sets are very different. Husky99 is not impressed with this post and thinks chief should go back to the drawing board...
Side note. Russell was
NBA All-Defensive Team in
1969 and 3x nba all star...
This is very casual assessment
No, the principle is the same - you give possession of the ball back to the other team. It’s the type of thinking a guy with a 0.84 assist/turnover ratio does. Chief always motivating our young men to next level play.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would expect Chief to have a better bball IQ than this. If you’re under your opponents basket the intent is to get the ball outside of the paint (this is what we have always coached in AAU and high school). The same reasoning as to why you should never try to save the ball under your opponents hoops. This is basketball 101
One of the things Okafor did exceptionally well was the soft block to a teammate. That soft block caused a turnover rather than just giving the opponent a chance to inbound the ball. I remember Packer complementing him on that exact thing as a high basketball IQ play.

I guess it’s a good thing you weren’t Emeka’s AAU coach.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You seem to be easing out of the third person schtick these days- maybe you should ditch the ‘casual fan’ BS, too. Baby steps.
That is exactly the kind of thing a casual fan would say. ;)

Reaction Score
I too like to see a big tip the ball up and start a break but Bouk was lucky to block that shot because the difference was that he was chasing the guy down. His momentum is taking him under the basket so if he tips it back it could go to an opponent. Different for a center or player in position down low.

Reaction Score
One of the things Okafor did exceptionally well was the soft block to a teammate. That soft block caused a turnover rather than just giving the opponent a chance to inbound the ball. I remember Packer complementing him on that exact thing as a high basketball IQ play.

There’s a distinct difference between being set on defense with your back to the basket where you can see your teammates and opponents vs. this play. Bouknight literally chased the guy down and came flying out of nowhere. For someone to expect that in addition to that he should have tipped it to one of his teammates (of which clearly none were even open) is insane. 99% of guys on that play don’t even get their hand close to the ball to make the block, let alone know where everyone is. You can disagree with me all you want, but you have no idea what you’re talking about. There are situations where if you make a block and can tip it to a teammate you definitely should, but that play certainly wasn’t one of them.

Reaction Score
No, the principle is the same - you give possession of the ball back to the other team. It’s the type of thinking a guy with a 0.84 assist/turnover ratio does. Chief always motivating our young men to next level play.
Coach chief....lol...
Literally no... one man has an insane wing span plus a top 10 defense player in the history of the game and an absolutely different body type. Also the game and speed of the game has changed in the last 50 years... husky99 figure with such a developed frontal lobe you would grab that...

Reaction Score

Exactly.

Reaction Score
Coach chief....lol...
Literally no... one man has an insane wing span plus a top 10 defense player in the history of the game and an absolutely different body type. Also the game and speed of the game has changed in the last 50 years... husky99 figure with such a developed frontal lobe you would grab that...
Same principle - talk to Bill Belichick about ball security and possession. You seem lost away from your hack local sports writers sources.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Not a next-level post.

Reaction Score
There’s a distinct difference between being set on defense with your back to the basket where you can see your teammates and opponents vs. this play. Bouknight literally chased the guy down and came flying out of nowhere. For someone to expect that in addition to that he should have tipped it to one of his teammates (of which clearly none were even open) is insane. 99% of guys on that play don’t even get their hand close to the ball to make the block, let alone know where everyone is. You can disagree with me all you want, but you have no idea what you’re talking about. There are situations where if you make a block and can tip it to a teammate you definitely should, but that play certainly wasn’t one of them.
I think you haven’t caught up to today’s game. Out on the higher level circuit recruiters are often looking at guys with a toolbox of skills both offensively and defensively. Your cookie cutter, put a skill in a specific drawer is not the direction the game is headed from what Chief sees. The recruiters are looking for multifaceted guys. That’s what Dre is currently struggling with, he did not fully develop skills that are now expected of everyone.

Reaction Score
My favorite blocks are when the defender actually catches the ball. Keeps possession and is absolutely demoralizing for the offensive player. Very rare though.

In this case, it was a fast break. In that case, I think blocking it out of bounds is good. The dead ball gives defense time to get set up and make the offense work hard for points.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

What you're saying completely depends, and I think this was his point, on having a teammate to "pass" to. In this sequence, (a) there was one Charlotte player behind James, (b) who was blocked off from James by two opposing players, and (c) James was running in a full sprint, rather than going up vertically either man-on-man or from the weakside.

The notion that James should have run full court, chased down a player, and deftly directed the ball, while jumping horizontally, to a teammate over/through the arms of two opponents, is absurd. The smart thing, if you can't control exactly where the ball is going to go, is to swat the heck out of it. And if you're going to swat it, knock it as far as possible, because the worst thing that happens is that you knock it with 70% effort, and an opponent drifting up the court winds up with a wide-open 3 they can step into.

Reaction Score
What you're saying completely depends, and I think this was his point, on having a teammate to "pass" to. In this sequence, (a) there was one Charlotte player behind James, (b) who was blocked off from James by two opposing players, and (c) James was running in a full sprint, rather than going up vertically either man-on-man or from the weakside.

The notion that James should have run full court, chased down a player, and deftly directed the ball, while jumping horizontally, to a teammate over/through the arms of two opponents, is absurd. The smart thing, if you can't control exactly where the ball is going to go, is to swat the heck out of it. And if you're going to swat it, knock it as far as possible, because the worst thing that happens is that you knock it with 70% effort, and an opponent drifting up the court winds up with a wide-open 3 they can step into.

But Russell could do it..........

Reaction Score
Are you implying a block Out or bounds is a TO?

Please make sure these player assessments & insights are appropriately making their way to staff & players before the protective order is filed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom