Quiet out here about the game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Quiet out here about the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I think the whole fanbase is shellshocked. Our team is terrible but that's not what has caused major depression to settle in, it's the fact that we are somehow stuck in this joke of a conference. Our games now have less juice than many high school games around the country. Our conference is terrible and somehow we play down to whatever crud team you throw at us. UConn games used to be an event for us, something to look forward to and help you get through a rough work day. I almost dread game days now, I'm still compelled to watch because I'm a diehard fan but I know it will leave me feeling depressed watching our performance and the realization that we are stuck in a basketball purgatory.

Describes EXACTLY how I feel, spot on.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
If we were in the ACC, we would be in 14th place and under .500 and on the losing side of multiple double digit losses.

By Kenpom were 8th in the acc, a hair behind Syracuse and above Miami. The real issue here is that the talent gap between the acc and the AAC is much smaller than the perception gap and nowhere is that more obvious than on this board. It's hard to win a game in someone else's gym whether it's North Carolina or East.

The problem with our morale is that it's been a long time since we've felt mathematically eliminated from an at large so early and that's the true issue of this terrible conference.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Who gives a flying duck* about the halftime score?

The final score is the one that counts towards our record...

Reaction Score
What dont you get? I've been a life long Uconn fan, and care about the team, i dont care about ECU or this conference and think its painful to watch. Why is that so difficult to understand?
I think he doesn't get why you spend time doing something that doesn't seem to provide you with any enjoyment. Seems like a pretty stupid way to behave.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Hard to get excited. The conference is a hodge-podge of teams thrown randomly together. The team is travel-weary. Our furthest game used to be Florida, it's now Oklahoma. That might explain why they often look like zombies in the first half of games. We have a bunch of new guys. We lost A TON from last year's team. Add to that the incredibly AWFUL officiating & it's all a recipe for disappointment...

Oh yeah, we also lost to HOUSTON!

Reaction Score
I think he doesn't get why you spend time doing something that doesn't seem to provide you with any enjoyment. Seems like a pretty stupid way to behave.

Not wanting to watch game translates as to not wanting to post on a message board?

Reaction Score
By Kenpom were 8th in the acc, a hair behind Syracuse and above Miami. The real issue here is that the talent gap between the acc and the AAC is much smaller than the perception gap and nowhere is that more obvious than on this board. It's hard to win a game in someone else's gym whether it's North Carolina or East.

The problem with our morale is that it's been a long time since we've felt mathematically eliminated from an at large so early and that's the true issue of this terrible conference.

That's what people miss about this, IMO. UConn isn't a good team by any stretch this year, but there are a ton of other teams that aren't that good who have beaten top 10 teams. The difference is, in this conference, they don't have the platform to ever truly get up for a game. If UConn were in the Big 12, we may be in eighth place, but we'd be a competitive team with a great opportunity to play over our heads against stiff competition. If f'in Virginia Tech can take Duke to overtime UConn can sure as hell compete in any league out there.

Reaction Score
Not wanting to watch game translates as to not wanting to post on a message board?
I don't know, it doesn't seem enjoyable for you, but maybe you get enjoyment out of coming on here to whine about our conference and the teams we play and the fact that's it not as great as it used to be.

Reaction Score
I don't know, it doesn't seem enjoyable for you, but maybe you get enjoyment out of coming on here to whine about our conference and the teams we play and the fact that's it not as great as it used to be.

precisely, what was the title of the thread you entered? What did u think it was going to be about?

Reaction Score
precisely, what was the title of the thread you entered? What did u think it was going to be about?
Wow, I was just joking, but you actually get enjoyment out of complaining? That's pretty pathetic.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Hard to get excited. The conference is a hodge-podge of teams thrown randomly together. The team is travel-weary. Our furthest game used to be Florida, it's now Oklahoma. That might explain why they often look like zombies in the first half of games. We have a bunch of new guys. We lost A TON from last year's team. Add to that the incredibly AWFUL officiating & it's all a recipe for disappointment...

Hartford to Miami is only 300 miles shorter than Hartford to Tulsa.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

You don't care enough about the games to watch them but you care enough about the games to post about them. That's the disconnect for me.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I must be out of step with some of you. I didn't enjoy that first half one bit. The best part of that half was that I was able to resist going apesh*888t. That's progress.

But the second half was special. I don't give a rats ass who the opponent is or what conference we're in when the ball goes up. The team turned it around and played beautiful bb both on the offensive and defensive end. This game reminded me of the UMass game only in this game it was a beautiful team effort as opposed to primarily the effort of one player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Oklahoma is not even close to the farthest. Dallas, Houston, and New Orleans are a lot farther than Tulsa. Houston is almost 500 miles farther than Tulsa.

We used to have Providence, Boston, NYC, NJ, and then Philly. Now Philly our closest conference game and we have to travel separately to Tulsa, Dallas, Houston, and NO. That is a huge difference and takes its toll. Add in a west coast non-conference game.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hartford to Miami is only 300 miles shorter than Hartford to Tulsa.
The travel part can be overblown because I agree that the team had a lot of travel in the BE. Most of these conferences now cover a lot of territory.

The real missing piece is natural rivalries. Every game feels like an OOC game. Most spread out conferences have at least several groupings of 2 or 3 natural rivals. Temple is now the closest thing we have to that, and there is no rivalry there. Certainly on court performance can create periodic rivalries that aren't what I'd call "natural," the territorial pride stuff. UConn had good on court rivalries with GTown and Pittsburgh, but that is because we were good at the same time. That could happen even in the AAC. But losing to a BC or a PC was always much less tolerable than losing to most of the others.

I go way back to the Yankee Conference days and Wes Bialosuknia. We knew we had a great regional team and program, but rarely a national one. There were no games that people got into more than with UMass or URI. Fun stuff. Now, these games are just plain business. No loss is ever fun, but the guy next door to any of us who live in CT or the northeast is likely to say "in your face", when we lose to Houston because they couldn't locate Houston correctly on a Texas map let alone have any connection to the school. Ditto for most of the AAC conference foes. It's the reason I'd rather, if it ever happens, wind up in the ACC which at least has several of our BE rivals, BC and SU in particular. I say that even with two sons who graduated from Big 10 (at the time) schools. It would make for family fun and a conference I like better overall for various reasons, but natural rivalry isn't one of them aside of RU.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The travel part can be overblown because I agree that the team had a lot of travel in the BE. Most of these conferences now cover a lot of territory.

The real missing piece is natural rivalries. Every game feels like an OOC game. Most spread out conferences have at least several groupings of 2 or 3 natural rivals. Temple is now the closest thing we have to that, and there is no rivalry there. Certainly on court performance can create periodic rivalries that aren't what I'd call "natural," the territorial pride stuff. UConn had good on court rivalries with GTown and Pittsburgh, but that is because we were good at the same time. That could happen even in the AAC. But losing to a BC or a PC was always much less tolerable than losing to most of the others.

I go way back to the Yankee Conference days and Wes Bialosuknia. We knew we had a great regional team and program, but rarely a national one. There were no games that people got into more than with UMass or URI. Fun stuff. Now, these games are just plain business. No loss is ever fun, but the guy next door to any of us who live in CT or the northeast is likely to say "in your face", when we lose to Houston because they couldn't locate Houston correctly on a Texas map let alone have any connection to the school. Ditto for most of the AAC conference foes. It's the reason I'd rather, if it ever happens, wind up in the ACC which at least has several of our BE rivals, BC and SU in particular. I say that even with two sons who graduated from Big 10 (at the time) schools. It would make for family fun and a conference I like better overall for various reasons, but natural rivalry isn't one of them aside of RU.
Really intelligent post.
I'll argue that I'd prefer seeing UConn one day become rivals with Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State and even Ohio State over BC and SU. Would love to see both those programs become irrelevant. They're half way there.

Assuming UConn stays a top ten program in bb, I think BC is similar to UMass as far as bb program strength. Maryland and Ohio State offer decent bb competition. And I bet UConn leaps over Cuse in football. Give me the B!G for athletic stability, regional similarity and the potential, however slight for academic support.

Reaction Score
You don't care enough about the games to watch them but you care enough about the games to post about them. That's the disconnect for me.

My original reference was to the game last night which i said how i forgot, not game(s).

I went to the game last week against Tulane. There is a noticeable lack of enthusiasm and energy at the home games at least the ones I've been to. I make an effort to watch the games, but again, I cant get excited against games like ECU the same way I used to get excited for games 2 years ago. But i enjoy seeing what people have to see about the games on the board or any other news. I'm just not as excited as I used to be to watching Uconn play outside of the few exciting OOC games. It is what it is

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Really intelligent post.
I'll argue that I'd prefer seeing UConn one day become rivals with Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State and even Ohio State over BC and SU. Would love to see both those programs become irrelevant. They're half way there.

Assuming UConn stays a top ten program in bb, I think BC is similar to UMass as far as bb program strength. Maryland and Ohio State offer decent bb competition. And I bet UConn leaps over Cuse in football. Give me the B!G for athletic stability, regional similarity and the potential, however slight for academic support.

My in-family rivalries would be Michigan and Northwestern, the latter of which usually isn't near UM in competition except at times in football. At one time I claimed the distinction of having seen only two UM football games in person, both against Northwestern, and Northwestern won both! One of them was the year NU went to the Rose Bowl UM had Amani Toomer. Michigan dominated both games but lost anyway. My UM son and several friends come to the Rent for the game that was ours for the taking. My belief is that if we had won, Pasqualoni might have been kept for another year, despite my desire for bragging rights.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
My in-family rivalries would be Michigan and Northwestern, the latter of which usually isn't near UM in competition except at times in football. At one time I claimed the distinction of having seen only two UM football games in person, both against Northwestern, and Northwestern won both! One of them was the year NU went to the Rose Bowl UM had Amani Toomer. Michigan dominated both games but lost anyway. My UM son and several friends come to the Rent for the game that was ours for the taking. My belief is that if we had won, Pasqualoni might have been kept for another year, despite my desire for bragging rights.
Yep. Better to lose the battle and win the war! Of course time will tell whether BD starts showing signs of winning the war. The football forum is definitely comprised of a different breed (in the most general terms) of fan than you find in this forum. For the most part more cerebral. Real diehard fans. As an aside I can't imagine 10% of the posters on the women's forum would be still posting if they've had the season like you guys have had and I would wager this forum would lose more than 50% if we had that type of run.

In spite of the past few years of dismal seasons I enjoy lurking in the fb forum because the discussion is interesting.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yep. Better to lose the battle and win the war! Of course time will tell whether BD starts showing signs of winning the war. The football forum is definitely comprised of a different breed (in the most general terms) of fan than you find in this forum. For the most part more cerebral. Real diehard fans. As an aside I can't imagine 10% of the posters on the women's forum would be still posting if they've had the season like you guys have had and I would wager this forum would lose more than 50% if we had that type of run.

In spite of the past few years of dismal seasons I enjoy lurking in the fb forum because the discussion is interesting.

I am mostly intimidated in the FB forum, mainly because I tend not to focus on which D tackle can bull rush or which receiver busts too many routes. I've has seasons tickets since day one of the Rent, and mostly wonder if I'll ever get a T shirt. Slightly exaggerated, because I can get noisy.

As for the women, I love em (er, you know what I mean) but the reality is , no Geno ever, no attendance and no attention paid to us by any hotshot hs players.

Reaction Score
Can't wait to watch Mayweather dominate Pacquiao with one arm tied behind his back.

Honestly, John, given your Nelson Muntzian predictive ability, I'm not remotely surprised you think Pacquiao's going to win. Put your money up.

Reaction Score
In fairness to Nolan, Brimah can't do at least 3 of those things....

Seriously? Which 3? I mean, admittedly Brimah's as bad as Nolan when it comes to being a foul machine, but other than that ...

Rebounding maybe??? But then again, Nolan doesn't actually get a rebound. He either hits the ball out to the guard. And on those rare occasions where he grabs a rebound he always loses it when someone knocks the ball out of his hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom