Punta Cana or Cancun | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Punta Cana or Cancun

Reaction Score
Europe makes zero sense if you're just looking to relax at the beach/pool in an all inclusive type atmosphere. The specific resort is much more important than the location, but I've had a great time at both places you mentioned.

Stayed at the Excellence Riviera Cancun in March and it was fantastic.

Reaction Score
I love the Yucatan, so I guess I'll be the one to disagree here. I would not stay in Cancun but I loved a lot of places beyond it. I've been to Playa del Carmen, Tulum, went snorkeling around Xcaret, been to Chictzen Itza and Coba (Coba is one of the last temples you can actually climb), I've been to cenotes down there, and once drove on a dirt road to Punta Allen which is an incredible expanse of untouched beautiful beach, away from any development, though at the very tip by the lighthouse we stayed at a place with 4 big palapa huts centered around a restaurant run by a chef who vacations there from Paris every summer. Food was unbelievably good.

Our only bad experience was finding food on the unspoiled beach, but when we found a food shack, the unscrupulous proprietor tried to get us to eat some peppers that were off the richter scale. Luckily we recognized a scotch bonnet pepper when we saw it. That guy is going to kill somebody.

Friends tell me the city of Merida is a great place so that's the last remaining thing I want to do in the Yucatan.

I've also been to Cozumel but would not go out of my way to go there again.

Reaction Score
I went to Cancun when our cruise ship stopped there for a day. I, personally, found it a little depressing. Similar to the Bahamas, once you get out of the resorts, there’s only impoverished people following you around begging for coins. We took a horseback ride to see the ruin of an ancient Mayan pyramid and it was a mound of stones surrounded by some tents with the locals selling Chinese trinkets. I couldn’t wait to leave Cancun.

Go to Italy. We loved the Amalfi region and also had a great time in Milan, in the north. Prices were very reasonable and the food was awesome. The people are warm and friendly and incredibly welcoming. We can’t wait to go back for our third trip there.
Amalfi coast…….Heaven.

Stay away from Positano.

Reaction Score
Costa del Sol, Spain. Nice beaches, great food, some really nice excursions. Going back in Septemper myself. Currently no direct flights though.

Reaction Score
Europe makes zero sense if you're just looking to relax at the beach/pool in an all inclusive type atmosphere. The specific resort is much more important than the location, but I've had a great time at both places you mentioned.

Stayed at the Excellence Riviera Cancun in March and it was fantastic.

This is true. Europe beach resorts are filled with people from Europe who go there instead of flying the Mexico or SE Asia.

I think for me it just boils down to the fact that I hate beaches. Way too pale, lol.

Reaction Score
Sit by the beach, we don't all golf umfortunately. This will be total relaxation
If you're going to Mexico I would go to Mexico City, it's my favorite city I've been to in the world but there's no beach so that's not what you're looking for. I don't like sitting at the beach or pool and I don't like golf...

When I travel I like seeing everything there is to see, eating and drinking everything, and immersing myself in the culture. I've been to Cancun and for beach/pool sitting it's fine but there's better options in Mexico. I've never been but my buddy and his wife love Playa del Carmen and go all the time. Another friend went to Puerto Vallarta for the first time and liked it so much he bought a house there which he goes to months at a time and he'll retire to. As imno1 said there's also Cabo.

Italy, Spain, and France are great but the only one I've been to the beaches at was Italy and it wasn't good for that. Italy is all about exploring the cities and small towns in the countryside. I saw the beaches in Nice, France and they looked really nice but I didn't spend any time at them. I've heard from friends Portugal and Greece are great for the beaches/coast. I've heard Croatia is even better. That will be my next trip, Croatia and Serbia.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If you want a cheap place in Mexico where you can safely leave the resort. Puerto Vallarta is worthy of consideration.

Reaction Score
If you are going to Mexico I'd recommend Cabo. but it's a long flight from the east coast
Puerta vallarta or tulum… or if you want maldives without going there El Dorado Palafitos

Reaction Score
do you take a flight from athens to crete?

Yeah. I went to Greece for almost 4.5 weeks this summer. I had all online classes for my second Master's and took advantage for an extended vacation with my fiance.

Flew into Athens. Trip went something like:

Day 1-5: Athens + day trip to Delphi

Day 6-8: Meteora

Day 9: Fly to Crete from Athens

Day 9-16: Crete

Day 17: Ferry to Santorini

Day 18-20: Santorini

Day 21: Ferry to Naxos

Day 22-26: Naxos + Mykonos/Delos day trip

Day 27: Ferry to Rhodes

Day 28-30: Rhodes

Day 31-32: Fly home

If you're thinking about Greece...

- The ferry's are a nightmare. I have kevet felt more like cattle in my life.

- Santorini/Oia are on people's bucket lists for a reason... they're amazing. But holy cow was it crowded as can be.

- Naxos was amazing. Favorite part of the trip by far.

- I may be the only person in the world who finds Greek food kind of bleh

Reaction Score
If you're going to Mexico I would go to Mexico City, it's my favorite city I've been to in the world but there's no beach so that's not what you're looking for. I don't like sitting at the beach or pool and I don't like golf...

When I travel I like seeing everything there is to see, eating and drinking everything, and immersing myself in the culture. I've been to Cancun and for beach/pool sitting it's fine but there's better options in Mexico. I've never been but my buddy and his wife love Playa del Carmen and go all the time. Another friend went to Puerto Vallarta for the first time and liked it so much he bought a house there which he goes to months at a time and he'll retire to. As imno1 said there's also Cabo.

Italy, Spain, and France are great but the only one I've been to the beaches at was Italy and it wasn't good for that. Italy is all about exploring the cities and small towns in the countryside. I saw the beaches in Nice, France and they looked really nice but I didn't spend any time at them. I've heard from friends Portugal and Greece are great for the beaches/coast. I've heard Croatia is even better. That will be my next trip, Croatia and Serbia.
The food in Mexico City is next level

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Costa del Sol in Spain. Excellent sight-seeing, food and culture, and beautiful beaches.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If you are looking for a beach vacation, check out the USVI or BVI's. It's heaven on earth
BVI>USVI

In truth the answer to his question depends greatly on what's most important to have in addition to beach, food, and umbrella drinks.

Reaction Score
Debating the two, might just go to Europe, any preferences?
We just got back from Turkey. It was amazing. Excellent food, very friendly people, historic sites all over the place. We were I. The western portion of the country and it was very Mediterranean, similar to souther Italy. And the exchange rate was almost embarrassing. We lived like lords on 1/5 of the money it would have cost in Italy or Spain for a similar experience. I highly recommend it.

Reaction Score
BVI>USVI

In truth the answer to his question depends greatly on what's most important to have in addition to beach, food, and umbrella drinks.
BVI is a bit more remote though. I did a BVI catamaran charter for a week so we sailed around and island hopped every day. Most of the islands only had 1 bar/restaurant. You could definitely spend a week on Virgin Gorda though and book some excursions through the Bitter End YC.

I think USVI is probably cheaper too. You could spend a week on St. Thomas or St. John and not get bored.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Unless you’re a scuba fanatic, or enjoy hanging with masses of German tourists, there’s no reason to visit Eilat. The food, arts, architecture (Bauhaus style), museum and nightlife scenes are all next level in Tel Aviv. Oodles of beachfront hotels on the Mediterranean coast. I’ve visited over a dozen times. Never gets old.

Hilton Hotel on the Med has some of rhe best sunsets I've seen. And yes, the beaches are great.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Never been on mainland Greece but if Europe is in play Rhodes/Rhodos is great as is Corfu off the northwest coast near Adriatic Sea.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom