Punta Cana or Cancun | The Boneyard

Punta Cana or Cancun

Reaction Score
Debating the two, might just go to Europe, any preferences?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Debating the two, might just go to Europe, any preferences?
I went to Cancun when our cruise ship stopped there for a day. I, personally, found it a little depressing. Similar to the Bahamas, once you get out of the resorts, there’s only impoverished people following you around begging for coins. We took a horseback ride to see the ruin of an ancient Mayan pyramid and it was a mound of stones surrounded by some tents with the locals selling Chinese trinkets. I couldn’t wait to leave Cancun.

Go to Italy. We loved the Amalfi region and also had a great time in Milan, in the north. Prices were very reasonable and the food was awesome. The people are warm and friendly and incredibly welcoming. We can’t wait to go back for our third trip there.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree with Nan's take. Unless you are a huge fan of resorts you will be better off in Europe.

I'm partial to Italy (also a bit biased) but you can find many great places throughout Europe.

Reaction Score
I went to Cancun when our cruise ship stopped there for a day. I, personally, found it a little depressing. Similar to the Bahamas, once you get out of the resorts, there’s only impoverished people following you around begging for coins. We took a horseback ride to see the ruin of an ancient Mayan pyramid and it was a mound of stones surrounded by some tents with the locals selling Chinese trinkets. I couldn’t wait to leave Cancun.

Go to Italy. We loved the Amalfi region and had a great time in Milan, in the north, as well. Prices were very reasonable and the food was awesome. The people are warm and friendly and incredibly welcoming. We can’t wait to go back for our third trip there.
I would second all of this. If you just want to stay at the resort Cancun is fine. I would not advise venturing out for a variety of reasons, some stated above. Agree with Nan. If Italy is an option and money isn't a major issue, do it and don't look back.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Go to Italy. We loved the Amalfi region and also had a great time in Milan, in the north. Prices were very reasonable and the food was awesome. The people are warm and friendly and incredibly welcoming. We can’t wait to go back for our third trip there.
So, the little poor kids didn't get any coins?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Was in Cancun years ago. Europe is more interesting, but countries vary. Our two favorite are Italy and Spain. Both have lots of regional differences. Both can be very hot during summer months. Northern Italy with Milan and Lake Como is nothing like Sicily or southern Italy or the big 3, Rome, Florence and Venice. i love Rome, but it was almost wall to wall graffiti like several European cities. Maybe it’s been cleaned up. Spain has many interesting cities. People love Barcelona but I favored Madrid; Seville and Toledo. Several good cities in the northern Basque region. Much to do in most European countries, England, France, Ireland, and others. Decide what you’d like to see most and research it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Sit by the beach, we don't all golf umfortunately. This will be total relaxation
Spain, France, Greece and Italy have some great beaches. I think Portugal too. Someone mentioned Tel Aviv. It does have a great waterfront. Elat in very southern Israel has a very good Red Sea beach but it’s hotter than Hades there in the summer.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Was in Cancun years ago. Europe is more interesting, but countries vary. Our two favorite are Italy and Spain. Both have lots of regional differences. Both can be very hot during summer months. Northern Italy with Milan and Lake Como is nothing like Sicily or southern Italy or the big 3, Rome, Florence and Venice. i love Rome, but it was almost wall to wall graffiti like several European cities. Maybe it’s been cleaned up. Spain has many interesting cities. People love Barcelona but I favored Madrid; Seville and Toledo. Several good cities in the northern Basque region. Much to do in most European countries, England, France, Ireland, and others. Decide what you’d like to see most and research it.
Barcelona is an awesome city. We stayed on Las Ramblas and walked everywhere. Everyone I know that’s been to Barcelona has loved it.

Be forewarned that the people of Barcelona speak Catalan. While most locals speak excellent English, tourists like me, armed with their high school Spanish, will struggle to understand the Spanish when they speak their native language.

Reaction Score
Not a fan of either. There are much better spots in the Caribbean if you're looking for beaches. Otherwise, go to Europe, ideally Italy.

Reaction Score
Spain, France, Greece and Italy have some great beaches. I think Portugal too. Someone mentioned Tel Aviv. It does have a great waterfront. Elat in very southern Israel has a very good Red Sea beach but it’s hotter than Hades there in the summer.
Unless you’re a scuba fanatic, or enjoy hanging with masses of German tourists, there’s no reason to visit Eilat. The food, arts, architecture (Bauhaus style), museum and nightlife scenes are all next level in Tel Aviv. Oodles of beachfront hotels on the Mediterranean coast. I’ve visited over a dozen times. Never gets old.

Reaction Score
I’ve been to both and preferred Punta Cana. A lot depends on the resort you are staying at. Both can be really good if you pick a good resort.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Unless you’re a scuba fanatic, or enjoy hanging with masses of German tourists, there’s no reason to visit Eilat. The food, arts, architecture (Bauhaus style), museum and nightlife scenes are all next level in Tel Aviv. Oodles of beachfront hotels on the Mediterranean coast. I’ve visited over a dozen times. Never gets old.
Elat is a great access point to visit Petra in Jordan. But as I said, if you want to fry yourself, Las Vegas in summer has nothing on Elat.

Reaction Score
Sit by the beach, we don't all golf umfortunately. This will be total relaxation

Cancun beaches are not good. It's a pool kind of vacation.

I enjoyed my time there when my wife's family brought us along, but that probably had more to do with being drunk for a week straight. I definitely would not go back if I was paying for myself... some people love the all-inclusive, never see a local who doesn't work for you kind of vacation... isn'tcmy cup of tea.

Europe is better than both. If you're a beach go-er, it's hard to beat Greece IMO. Naxos and Crete were my favorite stops.

Italy was kind of pebbly. I liked the Azores too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
OP: Punta Cana or Cancun?
BY: Europe

But, for what it’s worth I would say Europe as well. But if you are a beach guy, the beaches are very nice in Cancun and I found that the people to be very friendly. But I went there like 30 years ago, so take it with a grain of salt.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Went to Punta Cana last year for the first time and enjoyed it. Unfortunately, we had a couple storms come through, the day before we arrived and halfway through our stay, so the ocean was murky and the beaches had a lot of seaweed/debris washed up. We spent most our time at the pool which was fine. If you are staying at a resort you will have no issues at all, and your experience may vary.

I know you did not ask about Europe, but since everybody else chimed in with that, Portugal is a longer flight but has 5hr time difference, and has beautiful beaches all over, as well as being very reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
did cancun ~15 yrs ago and punta cana ~10yrs ago...honestly if you're sitting on a resort the whole time you won't notice much different. That being said, I enjoyed Punta Cana more for some off resort activities (we drove baja cars around some jungle and beach areas and through a coffee plantation) and cancun for golf (los cabos would be even better if that's an option - the ocean course was easily the coolest course I've ever played)

Also, I side w/ the BY in preferring Europe if that's on the table. I only really have done Italy for vacation (several other countries for work so can't speak to them much) and it was fantastic. Rome is overrated...we spent most of our time in Florence and Tuscany region and loved it

Reaction Score
Punta Cana twice and although the 2nd time at the Hard Rock Cafe was better it’s still Punta Cana not that nice. Hard Rock was more Americanized shall I say that the Majestic but it’s depressing overall. Cancun better of the 2 but Europe is best!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom