Providence Post Game Thread. | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Providence Post Game Thread.

Reaction Score
I like you J but you need to chill a bit. Whining (or complaining with valid reason, as those who do it may view it) happens everywhere and it is in the eye of the beholder wheterh it is warranted or not.

For example, I know of a school not far from my alma mater where he entirety of its fan base whined at an unimaginably massive level when their coach decided to move on to greener pastures and to boot, when said coach happened to return, caused the local police to send reinforcements out of fear that things would get out of hand.

One thing I find quite ironic about this (with details that I only learned this evening as I do not really follow that school) is that not only did they poach a head coach from another school (I guess it's alright when they do it), that coach took two very significant players with him. I could be wrong but I don't believe the coach that I was referring to in the earlier paragraph did that. I may be alone here but I think poaching a head coach and then that head coach taking a couple of the better players is far more egregious than a coach merely leaving.

Reaction Score
Anyone else a little worried about Karaban? Hurley said he was at “70%” and will get X-rays tomorrow. I’m no doctor.
It didn't look too bad but sprained ankles are always a concern. Just never know how bad it is until you wake up the next morning. Let's hope he's O.K. and ready to play on Saturday.

Reaction Score
Anyone hear why Ball didn’t play at all?
Box score says 2 minutes. I did remember him checking in but I never thought of it the rest of the game that he didn't come back in.

Reaction Score
Anyone hear why Ball didn’t play at all?
In a game where Providence was playing in our face we needed guys who could penetrate or make good cuts to the basket,. Right now ball is just a 3 pt shooter who sits on the line and doesn't play really good defense. That wasn't going to work in a game that turned into a mud fight.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
OK, I'll play,

Cooley tried. If that is something PC fans should be offended by, then they should be offended that English tried as well (and succeeded with two).

My point is that this happens, always, there;s always someone bigger on the food chain and if you take from those who are smaller (Cooley landed at PC from Fairfiled; English form George Mason), you should have some discretion before crying foul if someone takes from you.

Art Briles left Houston (football) for Baylor and took his top recruits (including future Heisman winner Rober Griffin III) with him.As Moe Green said "this is the business we have chosen". While I believe we are in a good position with DH, I've been told that a number of message boards (from schools that believe they are higher than us on the food chain) have had posts wondering if their school should make a run at Hurley (believing all they need to do to land him is offer him the job at market rate).

Reaction Score
Just kept on going on and on about Oduro being the most important player on the court.
He was the best player playing with 4 fouls, until he got blocked.

Reaction Score
Providence was scrappy but they look like same bunch that was lucky to win at home vs gtown, we could’ve played better

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Kim English is going to make a great replacement of Kyle Neptune next year and absolutely have that program humming.
Not if DePaul gets him first, or is that where Cooley goes?

Reaction Score
Did anybody notice after a 2nd half timeout that Diarra yelled duck* You twice loud? No idea who it was at. Our team? PC's team? Whoever it was, wasn't in the shot on the tv screen.
Yea I saw that, originally thought he was talking to someone on PC but then when they panned out he was facing the crowd and PC was on the other side of the court

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The game was often painful to watch. I'm grateful for the win. This post-game thread is as goofy as the soap opera ones this week. Time to close the lights.

#undefeatedinjanuary

Reaction Score
Just got in from the game.

As expected, we had a letdown shooting wise from the clinic we held Sunday. PC was clearly outclassed with talent and played the only game they could. And credit to them for playing hard.

We’re better. We beat them at their game with really nothing from Clingan, Karaban and Spencer. Our defense continues to be great. And that’s it. Nothing else to whine about or take from it. We win these games and pile them up on the way to a title. PC enjoys the “moral victories” and “being competitive”.

Reaction Score
And a quick glance over at their board?

They are trying to take positives from things like their fans being more in sync with cheers, their scoreboard being better because it’s at center court and the concessions not being great at Gampel.

LOL. Congrats on all that. Hey, which championship team are we honoring next game? I lose track.

caw

Reaction Score
Ed Cooley might be gone but this feels like the same team defensively. Grabbing, tons of contact, mucking everything up, and just daring the refs to call all the fouls. CFJ in particular had a handful of jersey through literally every screen. I don't know how PC fans can watch a full season of this.

Taylor Swift sing alongs.

Reaction Score
Only title of ours you could possibly call a fluke is 2014. The 1999 and 2004 teams were the best in the country when healthy. The 2011 team was 14-0 in tournaments, with 11 of those wins over ranked teams, and last year’s team maybe got some upsets to clear their path a little, but it was a total buzzsaw. Our hairiest moment was seeing our lead cut to 5 in the finals, before we daggered it right back up to 17.

Was 2014 a fluke? I mean, you can probably make that case. We were a 7 seed with a novice coach who found an inexplicable level of coaching mastery which we never saw again. We did catch a break to beat St. Joe’s and then got to play at the Garden, which maybe made a difference in those games (ISU losing Niang was a break too). But the best team in the country that year was Florida and UConn beat them twice, second time by double digits (after that horrific start, we outscored them by like 25). And we would have whacked Kentucky in the final except Boat and DD both went to the bench with two fouls in the first half and our lead went down from 15 to 5 at the break.

If people want to say we were lucky that year, fine (especially Louisville fans). But we had two great guards who could make plays, DD stepped up in the tourney with the best basketball of his career, and we were 43-44 from the free throw line in late game pressure situations (less than five minutes to play, lead less than 10, outcome still in doubt). Never seen anything like that in my life. So we made a lot of our own luck.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
So damn ugly. PC needed ugly, too many fouls, too many (missed) free throws, too long, poorly officiated, poorly played, poorly announced.....

And we missed 10+ wide open, UNCONTESTED threes

Reaction Score

It’s the guy you‘re not allowed to steal the ball from and have to give open shots to or else the parents will eat you alive after the game. Well played Friars. Well played.

Reaction Score
I think this game was good for us. We saw something new and didn't need to lose to learn the lesson. That is the sign of an elite team.

If Jalen Adams could have drawn fouls like Newton he would have been an all american. Newton should be an All American. He understands the game and can excel at most of it permutations. He was brilliant tonight.
Newton and Cam know how to finish and win. We did.

Reaction Score
I like you J but you need to chill a bit. Whining (or complaining with valid reason, as those who do it may view it) happens everywhere and it is in the eye of the beholder wheterh it is warranted or not.

For example, I know of a school not far from my alma mater where he entirety of its fan base whined at an unimaginably massive level when their coach decided to move on to greener pastures and to boot, when said coach happened to return, caused the local police to send reinforcements out of fear that things would get out of hand.

One thing I find quite ironic about this (with details that I only learned this evening as I do not really follow that school) is that not only did they poach a head coach from another school (I guess it's alright when they do it), that coach took two very significant players with him. I could be wrong but I don't believe the coach that I was referring to in the earlier paragraph did that. I may be alone here but I think poaching a head coach and then that head coach taking a couple of the better players is far more egregious than a coach merely leaving.
You must like Saint John's coach a lot????

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom