Providence Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Providence Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Perhaps she's better coming in off the bench, providing instant energy.
Agreed! Way too much is made of the issue of which players start. For anyone who has played this game, or for any astute observer, there is an understanding of the importance of specific "roles" in team success. In that regard, there's no substitute for a player who can come off the bench and provide an instant injection of energy and aggressiveness. On this team, Aubrey is clearly the one who fills that role, though Mir has the clear potential to develop similarly. So I kind of hope that Aubrey never starts...fantastic "sixth man!"

Reaction Score
As to Makurat, it is obvious to me the team flow is much crisper with her on the floor but admittedly I probably look at the game differently than many.
You probably see it the same as Geno. She did not start but entered at 4 minute mark and never left, playing 36 minutes, two more than Paige.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen anybody mention it yet, but there was another key strategic difference other than the starting lineup. When Nika and Paige were in the lineup together, he let Nika play the point guard role. In past games it was the opposite.

I think this is a good move. Obviously Paige is the better player and point guard, but because of how many ways she can score, she can be great at either guard position, looked comfortable off the ball, and quickly took advantage of a post up opportunity.

Both Nika and Paige are not just good, but exceptional passers, and both can run the offense very well IMO.
The difference is Nika may struggle as an off guard, while Paige could probably be an All American at either position. Geno wants her to shoot and score more, so maybe playing shooting guard for ten minutes or so when Nika is in helps her game, and even more so for Nika who is way better at PG.

Reaction Score
My take today;
Ono needs to finish better, period. She has developed much better moves. and overall strength, but misses too many close shots, regardless of her defender.
Aubry continues to impress; she misses some close to the basket, but isn't 6'5", and hustles to get her rebound and put it up again - plus she makes her foul shots.
Evina looked real good, slashed to the basket, played good defense, and was aggressive
Glad that Anna said "take this"!, although she got beat on defense quite a bit.
Paige was as Geno said "Paige". This kid is going to be fun for 4 years.
Christyn deserved to sit the bench. Can't be a junior, and perform like that.
Mir was impressive, great effort.
Aaliyah had some moments, but Providence's size seemed to affect her.
Muhl hustled, some good passes. some not good, she has to make a shot, any shot!
Autumn did a great job in the TO huddle, but unless she is hurt, Geno should have given her some mop up time.
We all have too much time on our hands now, and are allowed to be armchair coaches.
Unlike the rest of the team, virtually no one scored on Anna.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
-what we MIGHT think of Anna differs from Geno thinks. Anna must try to do everything Geno wants in practice.

-the open missed layups has been a multiple year problem

- as brilliant as Bueckers has been, the turnover number has to drop.

-ONO‘s minutes per game continues to be ahead scratcher.

- watching Aubrey play well is an absolute treat.

- the ease in which Paige posted up the shorter guard was scary.

- I am glad he pulled the starters early. Would he have done it against Baylor?

- it looks like the free throw issue was addressed and fixed.

-Mir’s body language has done a 180. I can’t believe how similar she is to Aubrey.

-the posts are too flat footed when receiving entry passes.

- I continue to believe Plath will be factor before her time is up.
Paige had only two turnovers and one of them should not have been counted against her. She had a 2.5 to 1 assists to T/O ratio that should have been higher, but many of the players missed bunnies that would have been more assists for her. She should have at least 20 more assists for the season because of all the missed shots.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I feel sorry for Autumn. With such a big lead, she was the only player who did not get into the game.
But she did get to coach for a few minutes.

Reaction Score
Nice for them to get a chance to play a team with some size for a change.

No denying the rough first quarter.

The bench contributed. Offensive production was good after the first quarter. Defense seems to have picked up in intensity. The non starters made the most of the opportunities they were given.

I really want Nika to get a basket. She plays so well otherwise. I think once she gets her first points, she'll relax and improve her scoring.

Lots to like, but lots to work on too.
Agreed
There is tough and competitive and TOUGH AND COMPETITIVE .
It is clear from her expression that Nika is the latter
Really enjoy watching her play win lose or draw

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Not a criticism just and observation. I noticed that during Aubrey's post game presser that after each answer there was an awkward moment of silence. One would say she is a woman of few words but, I think she will need a little word smithing tutoring for future post game interviews.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I haven't seen anybody mention it yet, but there was another key strategic difference other than the starting lineup. When Nika and Paige were in the lineup together, he let Nika play the point guard role. In past games it was the opposite.

I think this is a good move. Obviously Paige is the better player and point guard, but because of how many ways she can score, she can be great at either guard position, looked comfortable off the ball, and quickly took advantage of a post up opportunity.

Both Nika and Paige are not just good, but exceptional passers, and both can run the offense very well IMO.
The difference is Nika may struggle as an off guard, while Paige could probably be an All American at either position. Geno wants her to shoot and score more, so maybe playing shooting guard for ten minutes or so when Nika is in helps her game, and even more so for Nika who is way better at PG.
Bringing the ball up and running the quarter court offense are two different things. Nika brought the ball over the half court line. No more.

JordyG

Reaction Score
That’s a pretty harsh judgment. Nika was 2nd on the team with 4 assists, 1 less than Paige, playing roughly 1/2 the minutes.
Of course that's great. That absolutely does not mean she played the point. Liv had 3 assists in only 15 mins. Does that mean that she played the point? Anna had 3 assists as well. Did she play the point? Now if you look at my game thread I praised Nika for her play. I thought she pressured her mark efficiently on the perimeter, covered of the dribble well and made timely switches. My two complaints though were she shot horribly and her fouls kept her off the floor. Now when both Evina and Paige are in Evina brings the ball up. Does that mean she plays the point on this team? C'mon.

Reaction Score
But she did get a chance to coach the team. Pretty impressive for a walk-on freshman:)
Actually, I felt a little uncomfortable when Geno used Autumn in that way. It seemed
kind of demeaning to have her be a "joke coach".

I'm not usually this sensitive.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Actually, I felt a little uncomfortable when Geno used Autumn in that way. It seemed

I think the target was the other 10 players and it remains to be seen if this psychological approach works. In any event, you need a thick skin to be at UConn.

JordyG

Reaction Score

That wasn't a joke to Geno. He figured I've said the same things time and again. Maybe you guys will listen to someone you like saying it.

Reaction Score
Geno's Presser

Geno was hilarious as usual, though I think with a bit more of an edge at times than he usually has. I have a suspicion that it might not be the team that's the main cause of it. I think it's just the general weirdness of this season and the world overall.

Reaction Score

Absolutely agree. The flow was best when Nika and Paige were on the floor together.

JordyG

Reaction Score
In his presser, when asked, He said maybe they will listen to someone smarter than me and Autumn has a 4.0. " I never could get a 4.0"
I haven't seen the presser. Guess I'll watch it now.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
First - a win is a win. And in this unpredictable season, that's good. We'll need all we can.

A long layoff and not starting Anna had a negative effect on the start of the game. There was no flow to the offense. Christyn and Liv didn't help with the poor start. The benching after 5 minutes was deserved. Message sent. Let's see if has been it has been received.

Paige continues to impress. Her deadliest weapon it that 15 foot pull up jumper. Their is no defense for that shot. Ask Rip Hamilton.

Aubrey was the beast today. Her back looks like its healthy. She is a dynamo out there. She knows a lot more about what she is doing out there and how to fit into the flow of the offense. If she can be consistent with the 15 footer - oh my!!!!!

I like Nika's play. She can drop the dimes like Paige. The scoring will come. And the girl can play defense.

Mir seems more engaged and that's very good. She still has a lot to learn but there is improvement.

And I saved the best for last - Evina. So smooth, so under control. She has great court vision, maybe better than Paige. She continues to impress with her play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom