Providence Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Providence Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Griff terrif today.

Paige could have had 30+ if she cared to.

I like it when Muhl brings up the ball. I thought for sure she broke the ice in scoring with an uncontested layup late in the game. Nope - still 0 for America. Before it is all over she'll get her points.

Watching end of 4th quarter play is so much more enjoyable than in a number of past seasons. The talent on this team runs deep.

Reaction Score
Nika played well and give us another PG who understands the pick and roll. She will score. I watched a lot of her films. The drive down the middle and score with the left hand is one of her staple moves.
Anna played well and shot like last year. Aubrey does play within the offense and makes some good passes and doesn't dribble into trouble. Hustle and hands everywhere. As others have said Evina slashed well to the hoop and just fits in well. Paige is great and her defense is improving. Liv opens the floor because they triple down on her and her passing will be big for us. More games please

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As to Makurat, it is obvious to me the team flow is much crisper with her on the floor but admittedly I probably look at the game differently than many.
Geno just said as much in his post game presser. Said might be good to have Anna coming off the bench but he’s not sure it helps the team. Said he going to have to rethink the change to starting lineup.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I don't know if there is anyone with faster hands than Aubrey. It seems as if every time a ball is loose in a scrum she comes up with it. She is a great finisher at the rim and she also took, and made, as 12 footer today. That's an improvement. She played their ultra quick point as well as anyone. My issue is she seems to be in love with the post. She frequently cuts to the post but not through it frequently clogging things for the next player who cuts. She needs to run the play out. The reason to continue through is to get a defender to follow you for a step or two to give more room to the next cut. It didn't cause too much trouble today because the entire offense was ragged. I'm kind of glad Kim bailed on the game if we were going to look this bad.

Our first look at Liv playing someone her size didn't encourage me. She missed some easy ones early, but seemed to get into it later.

Reaction Score
My initial take is that Christyn didn't do anything particularly bad, but she didn't make any plays either. I'm sure Geno will tell her that she has to have a greater impact on the game, not necessarily scoring, but someway, somehow she has to have a greater impact.
The key for her is not how she played today but how she will play next Wednesday. She has to realize that a once in a generation player who plays her position is joining the team next year.

Reaction Score
As to Makurat, it is obvious to me the team flow is much crisper with her on the floor but admittedly I probably look at the game differently than many.

But it hasn't been in the past. Seems that this was the first game in which she made a three before the fourth quarter. Finally made meaningful points.

The team looked awkward with both Edwards and ONO on the floor for the first time starting. But seems more because ONO had a very bad start.

UConn is all about ball movement,hustle, and guard play. That finally started when Griffin came in.

Griffin joins Page and Edwards as the players who are capable of leading the team into the FF. They're the ones who will blend in next year for a truly powerful team.

This year, we're still seeing awkward minutes and plays from Ana, Muhl, McClean, and Westbrook. Thought Westbrook would be more polished than she has been. Improving, but...

Reaction Score
But it hasn't been in the past. Seems that this was the first game in which she made a three before the fourth quarter. Finally made meaningful points.

The team looked awkward with both Edwards and ONO on the floor for the first time starting. But seems more because ONO had a very bad start.

UConn is all about ball movement,hustle, and guard play. That finally started when Griffin came in.

Griffin joins Page and Edwards as the players who are capable of leading the team into the FF. They're the ones who will blend in next year for a truly powerful team.

This year, we're still seeing awkward minutes and plays from Ana, Muhl, McClean, and Westbrook. Thought Westbrook would be more polished than she has been. Improving, but...
With all due respect, affecting the flow of the teams offense and scoring points are two distinctly different things.

Reaction Score
Just a couple here as everything will be covered as the thread goes on. I think many have got a case of Paigeitis, trying to thread the needle with their passes. While several players had some pretty passes today some were also errant resulting in turn overs. Paige had a couple passes today I think the opponent would even compliment her on. ;)
Trivia.... When was the last time Geno had nine players in a game with double digit minutes?
The box....

Reaction Score
Nice for them to get a chance to play a team with some size for a change.

No denying the rough first quarter.

The bench contributed. Offensive production was good after the first quarter. Defense seems to have picked up in intensity. The non starters made the most of the opportunities they were given.

I really want Nika to get a basket. She plays so well otherwise. I think once she gets her first points, she'll relax and improve her scoring.

Lots to like, but lots to work on too.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In how many minutes? I am guessing it was less than 10.
I remember a pre-season thread I commented on...
The idea was that in order to win, UConn needed Christyn and Ono
had to have huge seasons.

I disagreed then and continue to dissent now.
This is a team with a huge amount of talent...
Talent that has yet to be completely integrated; even completely identified.
The schedule (if that how one identifies it) has hardly helped

Better days ...different days ...are yet ahead.

Reaction Score
My take today;
Ono needs to finish better, period. She has developed much better moves. and overall strength, but misses too many close shots, regardless of her defender.
Aubry continues to impress; she misses some close to the basket, but isn't 6'5", and hustles to get her rebound and put it up again - plus she makes her foul shots.
Evina looked real good, slashed to the basket, played good defense, and was aggressive
Glad that Anna said "take this"!, although she got beat on defense quite a bit.
Paige was as Geno said "Paige". This kid is going to be fun for 4 years.
Christyn deserved to sit the bench. Can't be a junior, and perform like that.
Mir was impressive, great effort.
Aaliyah had some moments, but Providence's size seemed to affect her.
Muhl hustled, some good passes. some not good, she has to make a shot, any shot!
Autumn did a great job in the TO huddle, but unless she is hurt, Geno should have given her some mop up time.
We all have too much time on our hands now, and are allowed to be armchair coaches.

Reaction Score
Can't wait for Wednesday's "AEH'o vs. Geno" match-up. (wonder what kind of defense Geno is going to draw up for his team to put in front of AEH? [although the primary concern has to be how to slow down Lauren Park-Lane]

Reaction Score
I remember a pre-season thread I commented on...
The idea was that in order to win, UConn needed Christyn and Ono
had to have huge seasons.

I disagreed then and continue to dissent now.
This is a team with a huge amount of talent...
Talent that has yet to be completely integrated; even completely identified.
The schedule (if that how one identifies it) has hardly helped

Better days ...different days ...are yet ahead.

I agree with 1/2 of your premise. UConn might reach their goals without CW having a huge offensive season, but there is no way I see them becoming one of the elite teams that have a legitimate chance at a title without ONO becoming a dominant #5 player in their lineup. This is not to say CW is not an important piece of the offensive puzzle, but Geno has some potential answers if that doesn’t materialize, but there are no answers if ONO doesn’t become a dominant offensive post player. Is AE a great addition to the interior rotation, yes, but you are not going to win a championship without ONO reaching her potential IMO.

Reaction Score
My interpretation of benching CW: we started incredibly flat, and as a leader of this team, it is her responsibility to help settle the team down. She has played more minutes in a uconn uniform than anyone else. Her attempt at that was to drive into traffic with no clear purpose, turning the ball over. That to me is what prompted her being pulled.

She is capable of being a big time player, but she’s been so inconsistent. She has a bad habit of just floating around the 3 point line and disappears for stretches. It’s a head scratcher for me.

If she doesn’t get more consistent, I won’t be surprised to see players eat into her minutes next year, especially Azzi being able to play the 2.
Would add that while Williams made a few mistakes, the subs all played well enough not to get taken out. Anna made shots and helped put movement back in the offense. One of Aubrey's better games. Who would Geno put Williams back in for?

Reaction Score
The change to the starting lineup was a bigger reason for the slow start vs the long layoff IMO. Game changed when Aubrey was put in the game to start denying penetration. Before that EVERYONE was getting tortured. Evina was moving well in straight line but lateral was struggling with a noticeable gimp. Paige was really really really good. I see a lot of post for Aubrey for badass award. I could go with co award but if we are going to take these performances from Paige for granted count me out. 14 layups were missed at the basket from 6 different players. I am noticing it takes a while for Evina to get going, probably do to her injury I’m not sure what the solution is.
Against teams like Providence the offense shouldn't be gummed up by indecision, but it is. Bueckers could play 30% faster but the other kids can't. She's stuck in 2nd gear, having to point and wait for movement from some non- freshmen that should know what to do by now. They've still got a lot of season to pick it up and they'd better. If not, there will be PT available for some of those 4 kids coming next year. If they can show they're ready I doubt Auriemma will hold them back.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My girl, Anna knocking down shots!! 3-5. I love that she was coming off the bench. Shows her ability to adapt and be that team player. Next Woman up mindset. Well done, Anna!!

The starters. Looked okay out there. You could see the indecision out there to start the game. I think more reps together they will get things figured out. Spacing was terrible but that will improve with time together, if Coach stays with this rotation, which I hope he does, especially with Seton Hall coming up. Defensive side...hey the defense is doing what it is supposed to do. They had Providence shooting something like 37% from the field and 25% from 3-point land...hey that is pretty good in my book. Active hands and feet. Take these wins anyway possible. I will have to watch the replay later and chart deflections on the defensive side.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom