Prov. Journal: Basketball Schools Insist Boise Must Come First, Not Ucf,uh,smu | The Boneyard

Prov. Journal: Basketball Schools Insist Boise Must Come First, Not Ucf,uh,smu

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
before everyone gets indignant and threatens vengeance, there will be a lot of pushing and shoving to put this new league together, so there will be more stories like this. The fact is, everyone involved needs this to happen, so a compromise will be reached.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Assming Bosise is football only, why the insistence? Does it guarantee BCS AQ status, without which football expansion is an empty gesture?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Assming Bosise is football only, why the insistence? Does it guarantee BCS AQ status, without which football expansion is an empty gesture?

Let Boise be the bad guy because Boise has the most leverage and is really the critical component of the whole deal. Boise can make demands about media rights lock ups, etc, and makes the league viable with their entrance. What the basketball schools do NOT want is SMU, UCF and Houston joining without Boise, then the league loses the BCS bid, and now they are stuck with a bunch of far flung detritus in the league that they can't sell tickets for.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Villanova will force a vote on their upgrade. It only takes 3 votes to block any iniative.

From the basketball schools' perspective, why water down with UCF, SMU,UH unless you're guaranteed the AQ? At some point, something has to give. Boise is desperate to get into an AQ. I guess we will see how desperate. I still can't see Navy or joining until things settle down. Boise commits, follows. Navy assesses and joins. Probably only way this grand scheme works.

Reaction Score
Let Boise be the bad guy because Boise has the most leverage and is really the critical component of the whole deal. Boise can make demands about media rights lock ups, etc, and makes the league viable with their entrance. What the basketball schools do NOT want is SMU, UCF and Houston joining without Boise, then the league loses the BCS bid, and now they are stuck with a bunch of far flung detritus in the league that they can't sell tickets for.

This is certainly the truth. Boise can also ask, as has been reported that we pursue BYU. They could also say that after thinking about it, they actually would like an all sports invite. I say we accommodate them with both.

Reaction Score
A bunch of fools trying to make a stand. It shouldn't be this hard. They will drag it out long enough and publicly enough for the ACC, B12 or ESPN to find a way to screw it up. These people all need to shut up and sit down together. If Boise wants media rights tell them, "fine, you can have your media rights, once you be become even marginally acceptable academically." Honestly, any BCS school with Boise's standards and a good coach could be successful on the field. They are playing by far different standards than the rest of us. Rolling out the red carpet for them when they need us too doesn't make sense.

Reaction Score
I don't think any of the far western teams would be offered an all sport invite. Seton Hall soccer going to BYU? Providence field hockey to Boise? Not feasible. Basketball schools are dumb, but not that stupid.

Reaction Score
I think this is a reasonable request. My only contention is why did the BB schools publicize it. Good lord take the posturing off line.

BSU credentials are crucial for our AQ status. But rule 1 in negotiations is not to tell the other party, "if you don't accept, I'm ducked!"

Reaction Score
If I were cynical, I'd say that some parties want Boise State to make untenable demands thereby providing those parties with an excuse not to invite certain teams.

I think this is a reasonable request. My only contention is why did the BB schools publicize it. Good lord take the posturing off line.

BSU credentials are crucial for our AQ status. But rule 1 in negotiations is not to tell the other party, "if you don't accept, I'm ducked!"

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If I were cynical, I'd say that some parties want Boise State to make untenable demands thereby providing those parties with an excuse not to invite certain teams.
Some say that has been the plan all along, to appear open to football expansion with the goal of making it fail.

Reaction Score
It is rather obvious. The reports coming from the Globe and Journal-Bulletin are designed to ward people away. Then again, UConn and Louisville's stances aren't winning any hearts either.

Some say that has been the plan all along, to appear open to football expansion with the goal of making it fail.

Reaction Score

I hope not. The other schools seemed ready to move. If true I wouldn't know what to say anymore.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
On the face of it, the BBall schools want to keep UConn and Louisville on the schedule, and they (appear to) think getting Boise for football would help lock UConn/UL in place for several years. But maybe there's some truth to the cynical theory too.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Part I

I'm agreeing with Waylon now in that it is time to get ruthless. At the moment we still have eight members of the football conference (although three have already told us they are out the door). The football eight should inform the catholic members of the conference that they are splitting (as they can) and once this academic/athletic year ends (June 2012) they will be their own all sports conference.
(in protest of the ridiculous character limit)

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Part II

As Pitt, Cuse & WVU have already formally announced their intentions (WVU may not have filled out any necessary paperwork but if they did send the $2.5 mm it could be viewed as similar) the two factions will split the departure fees (less than $1 mm per member for the catholics).

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Part III

As the NCAA basketball tournament credits go to the successor conferences, the football schools will retain the credits earned by Pitt, Cuse and WVU that have not yet been distributed by the NCAA (this is one thing that at least all of the fans of PC have been banking on and I imagine that school's athletic department is where the information on this payday to the catholics if the football conference implodes came from).

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Part IV

The second this is threatened, the catholics will no longer be unified against expansion as three catholic members absolutely do not want to be associated with the BE without the football members and likely as many only want the departure fess/tournament credits as reason to play hardball on this expansion.

Reaction Score
If UCONN allows Providence College, Seton Hall and the rest of the Catholics to dictate it's athletic future by granting media rights then UCONN deserves to be stuck with these athletic retreads forever. I certainly hope are President is smarter than that.

Reaction Score
I personally feel that Boise State is not foolish enough to bluster for media rights. Assuming that the rosy scenario put forth by the BE spinmeisters is correct-BE retains its Aq thru 2015-Boise State would jump on that train even with a $5 million exit fee. If Boise has a distorted view of itself and demands media rights, between the fb schools that abhor it & the bb schools that want no part of SMU,UCF, UH no way do you not lose at least. 4 schools.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
There is something that bothers the hell out of me here. Granted, if the catholics want to play hardbnall on this, I guess they have the right. After all, they have been nice enough to take their share of conference revenues (even though only a couple of schools from their faction actually earned anything) all of these years so, again, they are entitled to some decision making here.

What possible good could it do however to make this information public? What we do know is that if we don't find replacements for Pitt, Cuse and WVU soon, there won't be a football conference to save. If Boise St knows we are dead without them, they hold all of the cards and can demand anything they want (the BE pays their MWC departure fees, gives them additional revenues, lets them choose what home games they have, reimburses them for all travel expenses, etc.... If this is the catholic members' stance and the world now knows this, all remaining football members of the conference just got f#&ked by their non football playing conference mates.

Reaction Score
So long as you never forget that the Big East is run by dolts and backstabbers, it is difficult to be alarmed or disappointed.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Since when does a reporter from a newspaper who doesn't quote sources speak for the conference or accurately portrays what the conference is considering? Unless I'm missing something from the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom