Protective Headgear | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Protective Headgear

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As someone noted on the mens board a bit ago, Jordan Hawkins seems to have learned recently to fall in a way that minimizes his head cracking the floor.
Head up, hands up, let the broad muscles of your back absorb the energy of the fall. The hands up part takes practice because all of us instinctively reach back to support ourselves.

Reaction Score
Old fogey here. We are so fortunate to live in an age where protector headgear is at least an option. Back when I was young (OK-Boomer-eye-roll) none of us had ever even HEARD of a bike helmet and protective headgear for skiing consisted of a knit cap with a pom pom on top.

Reaction Score
Old fogey here. We are so fortunate to live in an age where protector headgear is at least an option. Back when I was young (OK-Boomer-eye-roll) none of us had ever even HEARD of a bike helmet and protective headgear for skiing consisted of a knit cap with a pom pom on top.
...and look how we turned out, we now reside on the Boneyard. :D

CL82

Reaction Score
True, and concussion protocol consisted of shaking your head until things stop spinning.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Head up, hands up, let the broad muscles of your back absorb the energy of the fall. The hands up part takes practice because all of us instinctively reach back to support ourselves.
I learned in Tae Kwan Do class (and experienced it's effectiveness numerous times ;^) to slap the floor with both hands when falling backwards or forwards. The part that needed to be trained was not to bend the arms, to avoid elbow injury.

Interestingly, we weren't trained for falling laterally. That rarely occured in bouts anyhow. But a one-hand (the arm underneath) should have good effect, IMHO.

Reaction Score
...and look how we turned out, we now reside on the Boneyard. :D
Look Howe this guy turned out. 30 years from now, everyone will wonder what the hesitation is all about

Attachments

• CAD1769F-B613-456B-A98B-D6333071E525.jpeg
    CAD1769F-B613-456B-A98B-D6333071E525.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 48

CL82

Reaction Score
I learned in Tae Kwan Do class (and experienced it's effectiveness numerous times ;^) to slap the floor with both hands when falling backwards or forwards. The part that needed to be trained was not to bend the arms, to avoid elbow injury.

Interestingly, we weren't trained for falling laterally. That rarely occured in bouts anyhow. But a one-hand (the arm underneath) should have good effect, IMHO.
Yep, but you weren’t trained to fall back on to your arms. You fall back onto the large muscles of your back and slap with both hands as you hit. Yes, the lateral fall does have you slapping with one hand.

(You were trained to slap the floor falling forward? Falling forward was always tuck and roll.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom