Protective Headgear | The Boneyard

Protective Headgear

Reaction Score
Protective headgear is used in baseball, football, hockey and wrestling.
Is it available to basketball players?
Wouldn’t it make sense for Caroline to wear something to protect her head to help avoid further damage?

Reaction Score
This will solve AE and Carolines problems although they will look ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Like this?

1675798773724.png

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I've seen soccer players wear headgear, however not sure how much it helps if the trauma is inside the skull? Years ago, I played in a recreational women's soccer league and there was a player that had more than one concussion and started wearing headgear and not sure it helped prevent others.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
players who have had concussions or other head injuries have been using soft padded headgear in soccer and rugby for a long time so I assume they must be somewhat effective.......
Bicycle helmet

Reaction Score
Yeah, the bicycle helmet thought occurred to me, too. Can't imagine that would be any more distracting than some of the other measures we've seen (AE's mask?).

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t it make sense for Caroline to wear something to protect her head to help avoid further damage?
Headgear for basketball players would be dangerous to the opponent when they hit a player in the head knowing the refs won't blow the whistle. So, no. ;);)

Reaction Score
Bicycle helmet
certainly no joke........I knew a fantastic cardiac surgeon only in his late 30's who died after a bike crash in Central Park...........he was not wearing his bike helmet.....

Reaction Score
Concussions occur when the head stops suddenly causing the brain to smack into the now stationary skull. Helmets are useful in preventing impact injuries to the head ( cuts, bruises, skull fractures) but if your head is moving quickly and suddenly stops the brain is going to impact the skull regardless of head protection.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
certainly no joke........I knew a fantastic cardiac surgeon only in his late 30's who died after a bike crash in Central Park...........he was not wearing his bike helmet.....
Not a joke, a serious suggestion

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Concussions occur when the head stops suddenly causing the brain to smack into the now stationary skull. Helmets are useful in preventing impact injuries to the head ( cuts, bruises, skull fractures) but if your head is moving quickly and suddenly stops the brain is going to impact the skull regardless of head protection.
The soft helmet is not a complete panacea, but it's compressability decreases the rate of decelleration of the skull because it absorbs some of the shock, so the impact (if any) and likelihood of impact of the brain on the skull is lessened. It's like dropping your phone on a towel on a concrete floor instead of on the concrete.

Reaction Score
It seems like most shots to the head onto the forehead side or back not so much on top and the soccer padded headbands like the Headstrong and the Storelli EXO shield look as though they would be effective at dampening those shots. I believe it’s the university of Xavier mandates their soccer players to wear them and from the pictures they don’t look too invasive and the athlete interviewed said they are comfortable after a while. given her history, maybe not a bad idea for Caroline to give it a try. AE Has grown accustomed to her mask, and chooses to play with it, even though she doesn’t need to. Cool blue color with the husky logo may start a trend.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
players who have had concussions or other head injuries have been using soft padded headgear in soccer and rugby for a long time so I assume they must be somewhat effective.......
Or it is just a reminder to protect yourself. The Brain is semi floating in the skull. PTSD in some cases is caused by concussion--explosions moving air--rattling the skull. I doubt, a personal opinion, it is that effective for a serious bounce head to head collsion. However, any device that reminds a player to protect themselves is worth it.

Reaction Score
I've had the same thought. If you crack your head on the court, you are going to be concussed. I remember the original hockey helmets. Mostly leather patches for forehead and back of head. A basketball player could function with that, though I have never seen it.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the bicycle helmet thought occurred to me, too. Can't imagine that would be any more distracting than some of the other measures we've seen (AE's mask?).
No way anything made of hard plastic would be allowed to be worn. To big a risk of unintentional contact with opponents.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I've posted this to some threads. It's worked for Warren.

I don't think you can give one player a hard helmet. What if she bumps heads with someone not wearing a helmet? It could be just like sandlot football with a kid with a cast on his arm.

I think UConn should seriously look at the Q collar for Caroline. I'd be in favor of soft helmets. You don't need that much cushioning to make a big difference in the head's deceleration.

Reaction Score
Or it is just a reminder to protect yourself. The Brain is semi floating in the skull. PTSD in some cases is caused by concussion--explosions moving air--rattling the skull. I doubt, a personal opinion, it is that effective for a serious bounce head to head collsion. However, any device that reminds a player to protect themselves is worth it.
you're right but if I remember correctly Ducharme took an elbow to the forehead causing at least one of the concussions..........this kind of padded gear might be somewhat effective against that kind of blow

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom