Postgame Pressers 1/26/23 Uconn Tennessee | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Postgame Pressers 1/26/23 Uconn Tennessee

Reaction Score
I listened to all of the press conference. I was a little taken aback by Kellie's comment about Geno. Basically said that if you are a UConn fan, you love him, and if you're not you hate him. Really disappointing comment.
Professional Jealousy is such a poor trait for College Coaches. She should learn from what Geno (and CD) have built and achieved at UCONN and recognize that, rather than making comments like this regarding someone who has done so much for WBB... a Hall of Famer, a multiple Olympic Gold Medal winning coach, 11 time National Championship winner. Just not very professional of Coach Harper.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I didn’t take it that way. She was pretty spot on about the role Geno chooses to play. That he lets opponents hate him because of UCONN’s dominance and directs the jealousy and resentment away from his players.
Yep. I might’ve said it differently. Geno purposefully acts as a lightning rod deflecting criticism from his players. For what it’s worth, though, that was a strategy back in the heyday of the rivalry, I don’t think it is anymore. I think Geno just tells it like it is, and let the chips fall where they may.

Reaction Score
I like Kellie Harper. She seems like a good coach in a remarkably difficult and precarious recruiting situation. Everything she says to the press has to be framed in part for potential recruits, in part for current players, and in much smaller part for the fans and the AD. And underneath it all, a tip of the hat to the opposing coach. I think she praised Geno as much as she needed to. I doubt very much he's thinks ill of it. I even suspect he's a supporter.

I watched the pre-game presser for their next game against LSU, and she was asked about the UConn game and spoke quite openly and generously about it -- among other things about why they lost, what UConn did right and they didn't, etc, and how to learn from it to get ready for LSU.

You can find clips of her online watching potential recruits in games, and sitting nearby will be Kim, or Dawn, or Kara or Coach Abe, etc. She's got a job to do, with not nearly as much to work with as her predecessors had, and she's struggling. She managed to get Justine Pissot last year, who may turn out to be a significant catch in a year or two; and she needs to get more than one this year, and the competition for these kids is intense. Which means she will probably have to rely heavily on the portal again with all the erratic results that tends to produce.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m not getting that message from the outraged posts here the last couple of days
I’m inclined to agree with you. As I noted elsewhere, I didn’t find anything offensive about Jolly’s statement. Could she have been a little more gracious? Sure, but as you note, that’s not a requirement. In harpers world, were Geno is incarnate evil, her comments, probably felt fairly gracious to her.

Reaction Score
Listened to Kellie in the post game presser. She was very objective in her analysis - she said the UConn defenses was, as always, determinant. Outstanding man on man defense by the Hushies leading to great offense. As the two outstanding Vol players shared the dias I could see no reason for complaint.

Harper, like Holly W is struggling to follow a legend.

During the broadcast Rebecca made a series of comments regarding Geno that reflect my thinking.

After reviewing the coaching and personal issues that have challenged Geno this year she is savouring each opportunity to see Geno.

He is obviously much nearer the end than the middle.

I have only known a UConn WBB program led byGeno and CD. What awaits is completely unknown, but for sure, in 10 years (or less) the program will face the UT challenge. As that time comes and UConn fans support the next regime, how will the fan base act?

It is a thankless job to follow the GOAT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom