Postgame Pressers 1/26/23 Uconn Tennessee | The Boneyard

Postgame Pressers 1/26/23 Uconn Tennessee

Reaction Score
I think Kellie’s right that this was Tennessee’s best performance of the year. Maybe the Stanford game approaches what they did today. It often happens that way with our opponents. I hope they can sustain this trend and really stick it to LSU.

I also hope Horston is okay. She looked a little beat up with the ice pack on the elbow she injured last season, and a pronounced limp as she walked off the set.

Reaction Score
I listened to all of the press conference. I was a little taken aback by Kellie's comment about Geno. Basically said that if you are a UConn fan, you love him, and if you're not you hate him. Really disappointing comment.

Reaction Score
I listened to all of the press conference. I was a little taken aback by Kellie's comment about Geno. Basically said that if you are a UConn fan, you love him, and if you're not you hate him. Really disappointing comment.
I agree.........she wasn't about to give him any positive recognition which is ironic because he had a lot of good things to say about her in his press conference.....

Reaction Score
I agree. Geno, for all his abrasiveness during a game, is always gracious in his post-game talks, and when speaking of the giants of this game. He has always expressed reverence for Pat -- what she meant to the women's game, and how she played such a pivotal role in lifting UConn to national status. Whatever personal disagreements they may have had (especially over the Maya Moore recruitment) have never distracted from his praise of Pat.

When the story is finally written, I think Geno will hands-down be lauded as having had the greatest influence on the women's game -- more than Pat, more than Tara, more than Muffet. There are a lot of little things that most don't even know enough to give him credit for. Many of the advances that have enhanced the game are due to his initiative and/or support -- the 10-second line, return to 4 quarters, advancing the ball to midcourt after a TO late in the game, moving the 3-point line back, NIL, taking teams on international road trips in summer, support for foreign players to study and play in America, and even those that have not yet been adopted, like using the same size ball the men use. All these were not pushed to help the success of himself or his own team, but women's basketball at large.

Kellie could have used that question as an opportunity to pay tribute to Geno, as Geno did when talking about how Kellie has done in her job. Instead, she said simply that UConn fans love him and non-UConn fans love to hate him, and left it at that. Some coaches admire and appreciate what he has done for the game, and others are just stuck in what looks like professional jealousy.

Reaction Score
The question she was answering was what Geno meant to WBB and what she actually said was “you love to hate him” which has a very different connotation and context in my mind than “you hate him.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The question she was answering was what Geno meant to WBB and what she actually said was “you love to hate him” which has a very different connotation and context in my mind than “you hate him.”
Yeah I thought her answer was fine. What she said is 100% true. All sports have coaches that you love if he's yours but everyone else loves to hate mainly because they are jealous. I'm sure Nick Saban knows what it's like to be in Geno's position, and people feel the same way about him: Alabama loves him the rest of the college football world loves to hate him. Probably not that uncommon for highly successful people.

Reaction Score
Heard a song recently where the chorus was (paraphrasing) you aren't anybody until somebody wants you dead. A bit over the top, but I think it applies a bit here. It goes along with the "UConn is bad for basketball" trope. Successful programs have always generated these emotions in all sports. The Yankees in baseball. The Cowboys in football. If you are a fan, you love them. If you are a fan of the team that they regularly lose to, you hate them. It is the nature of sports fandom.

Reaction Score
After that game and they way it went down, if Tennessee can recruit better, this can actually be a rivalry again. I saw it starting to stir.
They can’t and it won’t.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I just listened to the Tennessee coach and players' postgame news conference -- haven't listened to Geno's yet. I was not at all offended or surprised by Kelly's comments about Geno. She complimented him by saying that he enjoys grabbing the spotlight for himself and thereby protecting his players from a lot of criticism. That goes back all the way to Rebecca's playing days, when she appreciated his doing that after she had had a bad game. I bet that Dorka feels the same way -- she didn't have a bad game overall, but on the defensive boards it was another story.

I found two small but significant surprises in the whole press conference:
  1. Jordan Horston said (unprompted) that UConn's post players were very physical, "probably the most physical we've played so far". I've never thought of this UConn team as overly physical (certainly not in comparison to the Dolson / Stokes era). And I would certainly have expected the SEC games to provide a lot of physical competition for Tennessee.
  2. Kelly's refreshment during the news conference was a bottle of plain (not even Diet) Coca-Cola. She must really train hard to work off that sugar. I don't think I've ever seen a female athlete or coach drinking Classic Coke or anything similar -- usually it's bottled water or possibly Gatorade.
I don't think I really disagreed with anything she said.

Reaction Score
Heard a song recently where the chorus was (paraphrasing) you aren't anybody until somebody wants you dead. A bit over the top, but I think it applies a bit here. It goes along with the "UConn is bad for basketball" trope. Successful programs have always generated these emotions in all sports. The Yankees in baseball. The Cowboys in football. If you are a fan, you love them. If you are a fan of the team that they regularly lose to, you hate them. It is the nature of sports fandom.
Successful programs have always generated these emotions in all sports. The Yankees in baseball. The Cowboys in football.
Tenn and the Cowboys are a good comparison, neither have been truly relevant (successfully competing for a championship) for quite a few years and living off past glory.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
. He has always expressed reverence for Pat -- what she meant to the women's game, and how she played such a pivotal role in lifting UConn to national status
Did she, though? I mean, yeah, the rivalry was great, but that is a far different thing than saying Pat played “a pivotal role lifting UConn to national status” is a fair characterization. If Pat had retired in 1994, does that mean UConn never attains “national status”? If not, then sayin, she occupied a pivotal role is a considerable overstatement.

mudblood

Incorrigible optimist
Reaction Score
Did she, though? I mean, yeah, the rivalry was great, but that is a far different thing than saying Pat played “a pivotal role lifting UConn to national status” is a fair characterization. If Pat had retired in 1994, does that mean UConn never attains “national status”? If not, then sayin, she occupied a pivotal role is a considerable overstatement.
I believe Pat had a major role for us to reach national status that year - and perhaps also for us winning that first championship: if she wouldn't have agreed to come to Storrs for the MLK day game when we beat them, we might not have had the confidence and fortitude to first overcome Virginia in the the Elite 8 game to reach the FF and then to come back from behind (while in foul trouble) to beat them in the final.

I remember the hype around that Jan 16 1995 game as if it were yesterday. I was a long time NBA fan and not much enamored with the men's college game (it was the era where it had started to shift hard towards NBA-style athleticism, but without the NBA-level skills and basketball IQ). That was the first women's game I ever watched (watched about 800 or so since, most on TV, but many in person). Even in CT the women's game wasn't that well-known or popular. ESPN wasn't the juggernaut it is now, and they wanted to make some hype and made a deal for national televised game with the Big East that had to be on a BE home court. Boy, did they hit pay dirt with that one! None of the big names at the time wanted to come to the boonies to play in Storrs, CT - except for Pat, who said: if they are good, and if its good for the game, we will play anybody anywhere. Which, btw, has been Geno's mantra, too. Unfortunately, many coaches of successful programs still don't have that frame of mind.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed the whole Tennessee press conference. There was no whining, or complaining. Kelley recognizes that UConn can be tough and they seem to get up for the big games. The fast start that we had was great considering how slowly we’ve started some of the conference games. I am so proud of our team and how they came back in the second half, in spite of not really getting any rest. We’ve come to expect greatness from Lou and Aaliyah and Nika and we’re so lucky that they are all having great years. I have always hated Tennesse, going back to the first championship year. I respect the team and program, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I believe Pat had a major role for us to reach national status that year - and perhaps also for us winning that first championship: if she wouldn't have agreed to come to Storrs for the MLK day game when we beat them, we might not have had the confidence and fortitude to first overcome Virginia in the the Elite 8 game to reach the FF and then to come back from behind (while in foul trouble) to beat them in the final.
Yeah, I think that’s a pretty big reach. Connecticut was the number two team in the nation when they played Tennessee. This isn’t Rocky we’re apart. Apollo Creed picks out some club fighter in elevates him to contender status. We were in an established and successful team. Pat declining the invitation to play us at home would have had exactly the same impact as Sylvia Hatchell declining the invitation. It would’ve caused ESPN to move onto the next logical candidate and offer it to them.

By the way, Pat never said “if they are good, and if it’s good for the game, we will play anybody anywhere.” You are combining two statements, she allegedly made, and adding a new “if they are good” requirement.

Reaction Score
I didn’t take it that way. She was pretty spot on about the role Geno chooses to play. That he lets opponents hate him because of UCONN’s dominance and directs the jealousy and resentment away from his players.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I agree.........she wasn't about to give him any positive recognition which is ironic because he had a lot of good things to say about her in his press conference.

When you can talk good about your rival and choose to speak positively about then imo that shows class. When you cant then again imo you need to grow up and understand that to become great you need to speak of great people in a positive way. Kelly is a good coach in a program that has in the past been The Program. Shes living in Pats shadow and shes not Pat....shes Kelly and has big shoes to fill because of the program she represents. Geno has nothing to prove, he's done some remarkable things with UConn and his record proves that. Kelly hasnt. To be a big person is to recognize and speak highly of your competition even if you dont mean it. Understand that and you have a chance to something special in your life.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score

I remember the hype around that Jan 16 1995 game as if it were yesterday. I was a long time NBA fan and not much enamored with the men's college game (it was the era where it had started to shift hard towards NBA-style athleticism, but without the NBA-level skills and basketball IQ). That was the first women's game I ever watched (watched about 800 or so since, most on TV, but many in person). Even in CT the women's game wasn't that well-known or popular. ESPN wasn't the juggernaut it is now, and they wanted to make some hype and made a deal for national televised game with the Big East that had to be on a BE home court. Boy, did they hit pay dirt with that one! None of the big names at the time wanted to come to the boonies to play in Storrs, CT - except for Pat, who said: if they are good, and if its good for the game, we will play anybody anywhere. Which, btw, has been Geno's mantra, too. Unfortunately, many coaches of successful programs still don't have that frame of mind.
Nice post Pat agreed to play the game and ESPN and Robin Roberts took it to the next level. It was like the Superbowl of WCBB.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Nice post Pat agreed to play the game and ESPN and Robin Roberts took it to the next level. It was like the Superbowl of WCBB.
Yes. Her enthusiasm and vocal inflections made it seem like it was a really, really big deal.

Reaction Score
Maybe she just got Geno confused with J.R. Ewing.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Auriemma is not the sport’s first leviathan coach, just its first male one. From 1974 to 2012 Pat Summitt led the Lady Volunteers to eight national championships. A former All-American whose playing career overlapped the passage of Title IX—she played her first two seasons at Tennessee-Martin without a scholarship, since such benefits were unavailable to student-athletes—Summitt was the sport’s steward and towering figure in the 1970s and ‘80s as it transitioned from the AIAW (Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women) to an NCAA sport.

On Jan. 16, 1995, everything changed. ESPN, taking note of a burgeoning phenomenon taking place 43 miles east of its Bristol headquarters, arranged a nationally televised game between No. 1 Tennessee and No. 2 Connecticut on Martin Luther King Day. It may have been the Woodstock of women’s hoops. The Huskies won, 77-66. Suddenly the sport was intriguing: Pat Summitt was no longer the only gunslinger standing in the middle of Main Street.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom