Possible portal targets | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Possible portal targets

Reaction Score
You are worried about the top of the depth chart. This is likely a bottom of the depth chart addition. We didn’t even have enough QBs available to run proper practices at times this season. We need some bodies and we may still lose a QB or two. We just don’t know.

As far as this signing goes, I haven’t watched him play nor do I know anything about him. Maybe he is better than we think. I don’t know much about Maine, their OL or anything else going on there. Nick Charlton is very familiar with him though. Maybe he sees something in him.
First, Fagano is 6'3" and 225 lbs which is good size for a QB. Here are his career stats:

27 games played
461 for 772, 59.7% completion %
5,655 yards
46 TDs
12 INTs
535 rushing yards and 5 TDs

You are not going to find many QBs in the portal with this kind of resume and my guess is there will be many FBS teams interested in him and not just for depth.

Reaction Score
First, Fagano is 6'3" and 225 lbs which is good size for a QB. Here are his career stats:

27 games played
5,655 yards
46 TDs
12 INTs

You are not going to find many QBs in the portal with this kind of resume and my guess is there will be many FBS teams interested in him and not just for depth.
The 46 tds to 12 int really standouts. Looks like he’s more of a game manager qb who will give you at least 200 yards a game. Looking at his season stats he did rush a lot, so he’s not afraid to use his feet. I do think with a better supporting cast, he may do a lot better at UConn than he did at Maine if he decides to come here.

Reaction Score

27 games played
5,655 yards
46 TDs
12 INTs

100 percent. You can find highlights of him against BC on Youtube. Makes some nice touch passes, and threw some from some odd arm angles that were Mahomes like. No I'm not saying that he's Pat Mahomes but I would take this kid in a nano second to come here and compete with with is here already. Last I checked he also had an offer from Western Michigan.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

27 games played
5,655 yards
46 TDs
12 INTs

At minimum he’s good depth. We didn’t have anyone on the bench this year that could spot Zion when he struggled.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I gotta admit...I will be disappointed if the QB room is the same next year. Fagone would be a nice addition.

Reaction Score
I find this discussion funny. He played for Charlton. If he got an offer, it’s because Charlton knows that him being here can help us. Whether that’s because we still don’t have depth at the position or by challenging to get on the field, we have no idea. But the staff does.

if he’s not being brought in to challenge to start, however, I’m still hoping we bring in THAT person as well.

Reaction Score
Looks like UVA moved him inside. Has he snapped?

2021: Second Team All-Ivy League selection … started all 10 games at left tackle … Dartmouth ranked No. 1 in the Ivy League and No. 21 in FCS with 193.7 rushing yards per game … Dartmouth went 9-1 on the season, captured the 20th Ivy League title in program history and ranked 23rd in the final FCS Coaches Poll.
We should be looking into whether it was the move inside that lead him to snap or if it was something more serious.........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
No judgement just information.

Fagano was 21-43 for 289, 2 TDs 2 INTs versus BCU last year. His team got blasted.

Turner was 11-19 for 173, 1 TD 0 INTs versus BCU last year. UConn put up a "W."

Turner probably was surrounded by a better cast.

Reaction Score
I find this discussion funny. He played for Charlton. If he got an offer, it’s because Charlton knows that him being here can help us. Whether that’s because we still don’t have depth at the position or by challenging to get on the field, we have no idea. But the staff does.

if he’s not being brought in to challenge to start, however, I’m still hoping we bring in THAT person as well.
He would challenge to start by default. Not enough healthy bodies at the position currently.

Reaction Score
He would challenge to start by default. Not enough healthy bodies at the position currently.

That's sort of the point. We don't know whether Mora and Charlton think it's likely that, due to health or skills, anyone on the roster other than Turner would be ready to step in and lead the team next year. Roberson is recovering from knee surgery. He might not be himself next year. Millen may or may not ever be able to throw at the level we need again. Tyler P, even if we can assume he will be totally physically recovered next year, may never recover mentally or might not be viewed by the staff as a possible starter. And who knows if the walk on who came in mid season is viewed as a possibility to ever take a snap, or was brought in to run the scout team. For all we know, they think they have to totally rebuild the QB room around Turner.

We are also not at the place (yet) where we are going to attract three guys sitting on P-5 benches or having succeeded at a lower FBS or FCS level to come here and compete with each other. So it's possible we're still looking for the ONE GUY who will compete to start, but also looking for one or two other to be backups who could actually play if needed.

Reaction Score
Turner, Millen and Roberson all know the system. Fagano probably played a similar system under Charlton at Maine.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Need to see Roberson play
I agree...I would assume Roberson if healthy is the best option. But... coming out of camp, Mora made it sound like there wasn't a clear winner in the Qb battle. I hope there was good separation between Roberson and Turner.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What am my missing here? Ta’Quan Roberson, for no fault of his pwn, was injured before having a chance to prove himself. I have no problem going for depth. Nothing like bringing in a transfer from Penn State and then recruiting over him. I realize he may not be ready by the beginning of next season, but good luck getting a transfer at this point better than him and what does it say to other recruits when you do that?
That you have to compete every day and nothing is guaranteed?

Recruiting over someone, in my opinion, isn’t bringing a new talent and allowing them to compete. Every football team does that every year. Recruiting over someone is it when you have a commitment and you bring in someone at the same position more highly ranked in the same class.

Roberson caught a bad break and he definitely should have a chance to compete next year if he’s healthy. The notion that next year’s quarterback competition should be a coronation rather than a competition is silly in my opinion, regardless of which player you are giving it to.

Reaction Score
I agree...I would assume Roberson if healthy is the best option. But... coming out of camp, Mora made it sound like there wasn't a clear winner in the Qb battle. I hope there was good separation between Roberson and Turner.
Mora also seemed to imply it was a 4 way competition then, when it looks like Millen and Tyler Phommachanh were still not good to go. Guessing it was a bit of gamesmanship on Mora's part.

Reaction Score
Portal Commits to UConn...
QB - Brendon Lewis Colorado 3 star
CB - Zakhari Spears Washington 3 star
WR - Nick Marder Cincinnati 3 star
LB - Kolbe Cage Arizona 3 star

“Mardner, who spent three seasons at Hawaii and the 2022 season at Cincinnati, will decide between Auburn and Cal. Mardner spent the beginning portion of the portal visit window at Cal and the final portion of the visit window at Auburn.”

Reaction Score

“Mardner, who spent three seasons at Hawaii and the 2022 season at Cincinnati, will decide between Auburn and Cal. Mardner spent the beginning portion of the portal visit window at Cal and the final portion of the visit window at Auburn.”

The only commit correct had already publicly announced his commitments at the time of the post

Reaction Score
Gee wiz....

Tough to get our hopes up too soon...
Hopes up? Nah, kid was a big time producer in a P5 league. Coaches Always have to do a temperature check on a kid in their literal backyard.

Reaction Score
I really think Roberson is going to push the offense forward next year. He's a true dual threat which makes it a lot harder for opposing defenses to stay disciplined against.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I really think Roberson is going to push the offense forward next year. He's a true dual threat which makes it a lot harder for opposing defenses to stay disciplined against.
That's assuming he is healthy enough to be a dual threat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom