Possible portal targets | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Possible portal targets

Reaction Score
2023 Transfer Portal Activity to date (Known Public Offers > Committed to UConn > Committed Elsewhere)

Apologies if I missed any.

I have 323 total known offer made by this staff in 2023 between high school, JUCO and Transfer Portal
Is that more or about the same as the previous staff(s)? Because they're more visible, it seems they cast a wider net.
Well, the transfer portal component which started in 2018* added a whole new dynamic but…

2015 there were 143 known offers
2016 there were 125 known offers
2017 there were 118 known offers
2018 there were 175 known offers*
2019 there were 143 known offers
2020 there were 156 known offers
2021 there were 154 known offers
2022 there were 230 known offers
2023 there are 323 known offers & counting…

Reaction Score
2023 Transfer Portal Activity to date (Known Public Offers > Committed to UConn > Committed Elsewhere)

Apologies if I missed any.

I have 323 total known offer made by this staff in 2023 between high school, JUCO and Transfer Portal
Apologies because this has been addressed, but I don't recall: how are we making space for these additions? Are the staff asking scholarship players who want to stay to pack their bags? (Can they do that?) Letting them know they might not play in hopes they leave?

I'm excited by the work being done, but the portal is a brutal place, and it's unfortunate to think some of our guys might be shown the door, not find a landing spot, and lose out on an education.

Reaction Score
Apologies because this has been addressed, but I don't recall: how are we making space for these additions? Are the staff asking scholarship players who want to stay to pack their bags? (Can they do that?) Letting them know they might not play in hopes they leave?

I'm excited by the work being done, but the portal is a brutal place, and it's unfortunate to think some of our guys might be shown the door, not find a landing spot, and lose out on an education.

Welcome to FBS football in the new world (tho’ kids have been recruited over and nudged out the door for decades). The Transfer Portal just makes it much more apparent and public.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sorry if already posted

I like your language.

Screenshot_20230112-204853_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
Mora’s latest follows are WR’s from Memphis and Florida State
We can definitely use them, but we also have an absolute need of depth at the RB and LB positions. There are a good 3 or 4 freshman recruits we can use at WR if necessary - in fact with the 3 portal DB signings I figured that is how the staff is going to use the Frosh athletes, I just don't understand how many more people we can sign it seems like we are over the scholarship limit by a few already.

Reaction Score

The answer is yes, a coach can simply tell a scholarship player they are gone and yes, the coach can also tell them they won’t be playing next year and hope they leave. Every coach does the latter. Not every coach does the former.

Reaction Score
Anyone know the roster space situation? Seems like we are already over by a bunch.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I have us at 92...possible I have a mistake.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Based on the class of 2023 January enrollment and the 6 portal names announced yesterday we seem to be at 86 scholarships at this hour. Maybe a name or two enters the portal today (tomorrow is the last day) for this cycle....or maybe I have a mistake (off by one).

The six commitments not on campus for this spring (maybe Plack arrives this week, remains to be seen):

Jarvis Jones (5-4)
Brandon Kelley (5-4)
Toriyon Johnson (5-4)
Oumar Diomande (5-4)
Nadar Chirchi (5-4)
Noah Plack-Tallerico (Grad 1-1)

Should it remain this way we are looking a spring ball session with the notion that at least 6 or 7 dudes will be leaving in May. In other words, spring ball will be a competition to stay or go and I suspect those that are competing to keep their seat are aware.

Reaction Score
I have us at 92...possible I have a mistake.
Are you counting Prince Samuels? Been wondering about his status, wasn't on the fall roster but never saw anything about him leaving the team.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Are you counting Prince Samuels? Been wondering about his status, wasn't on the fall roster but never saw anything about him leaving the team.
Good catch. I believe he was on the fall roster as I recall seeing his name in the past- but now it’s gone.

Correcting for him puts us at 85 in house today.

Wonder where Prince ends up. So many of these public high school kids from central CT have really struggled with the college transition. It begs a deeper question. Meanwhile kids from public schools from areas of the country with lesser reputations seems to be holding their own.

Reaction Score
Good catch. I believe he was on the fall roster as I recall seeing his name in the past- but now it’s gone.

Correcting for him puts us at 85 in house today.

Wonder where Prince ends up. So many of these public high school kids from central CT have really struggled with the college transition. It begs a deeper question. Meanwhile kids from public schools from areas of the country with lesser reputations seems to be holding their own.

Well, the transfer portal component which started in 2018* added a whole new dynamic but…

2015 there were 143 known offers
2016 there were 125 known offers
2017 there were 118 known offers
2018 there were 175 known offers*
2019 there were 143 known offers
2020 there were 156 known offers
2021 there were 154 known offers
2022 there were 230 known offers
2023 there are 323 known offers & counting…
It's great to see how much wider the staff has cast the net and how much harder they appear to be working to find the talent we need to compete at a high level.
AND, when 20% of the highly rated kids we offered decide to transfer each year, they'll know the staff and facilities, see the improved play and recognition leading to NFL rosters, reflect on how much the players told them they appreciate what JM has done for them and give us a serious look.

Reaction Score
I may be wrong but I thought the max was 32 players per year, I don't know if it was just for one year, and something to do with the portal transfers.

Reaction Score
I may be wrong but I thought the max was 32 players per year, I don't know if it was just for one year, and something to do with the portal transfers.

“… the NCAA this week voted to waive the annual signing and initial counter limits for the 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 academic years. As a result, teams will not have to observe the rule capping initial counters in each class at 25 players per year, but instead allow schools to focus on providing aid based on the overall roster limit of 85 scholarships for FBS football programs and 63 for FCS schools”

Reaction Score

“… the NCAA this week voted to waive the annual signing and initial counter limits for the 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 academic years. As a result, teams will not have to observe the rule capping initial counters in each class at 25 players per year, but instead allow schools to focus on providing aid based on the overall roster limit of 85 scholarships for FBS football programs and 63 for FCS schools”
so, does this mean we waive the normal allotted 85 scholly max during this time period?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom