Portal Thoughts Anyone? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Portal Thoughts Anyone?

Reaction Score
Barring injuries, if you've recruited the right team in the first place, you don't need the portal. When people are clamoring for specific portal needs, it's a passive aggressive way of besmirching Geno and Co. and implying they haven't done their jobs correctly in the first place. When you already have Cam Spencer on the current roster, there is no need to go get another Cam Spencer. I do think Geno has whiffed on a true post who wants to stay in the post, bang, make bunnies, and rebound. That's why Beers would be a crucial get.
Whiff is a harsh word in that I'm not so sure he wants a player that "stays in the post." I'm pretyy certain he never wants that. I recall years ago on a TV show he used to have after Baylor got beat by Lousiville he remarked that he would have had Griner a play some outside the lane too. In fact, after the season was over a Baylor player remarked that all she ever did was stay on the outside.

Thus it seems it's no accident that in the past several years when he has gotten 6'4 or taller (Liv, Amari, and now Jana), they weren't/won't be back-to-the-basket type). Jana appears to be more back-to-back ofc than the others but she seems like she is a big combo outside/in. Not someone fixated in the post - as a true post.). Some will argue Liv was that in High School - but imo her game was not Offense the minute we saw her come to UCONN.

Anyhow, I wouldn't call this a "whiff" but a preference not to have a player just stay on the inside. I believe Geno probably figures - the more versatile a player is, the more valuable they become.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32
Top Bottom