Poll: Who will the team MVP be this year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll: Who will the team MVP be this year?

Who will be the team MVP this season?

• Kia Nurse

• Katie Lou Samuelson

• Napheesa Collier

• Gabby Williams

• Azura Stevens

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Air Gabby

GabbyWilliamsGray.0.jpeg
AIR GABBY, I like it. :D

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Centers win championships. Tina. Breanna. Cash. Have to have an amazing force under the basket.

There might have been some decent guards/wings on those teams though. :rolleyes:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I didn't vote because there are just two many question marks in my mind in regards to how this new combination of players will pan out. The teammates you are playing with matter. The three players I think are most capable of being the MOP, most outstanding, are Stevens, Collier and Samuelson, due to their likely roles and who they will be surrounded by. On the other hand, the three players most capable of being the MVP, most valuable, are the two seniors Nurse and Williams, along with the PG of the future, if not the present, Dangerfield. The one most likely to be a crossover, fit well into both categories, is Williams, so I guess I might pick her (but still too hesitant to do so).

Here's an example of how your surrounding cast matters. I've seen it written that no one stopped Collier. That's not exactly true. A big center with enough finesse gave her fits both on defense (foul trouble) and offense, but Collier would not be playing in the low post on most teams. It's hard to fault her that there are some players who could neutralize her in the low post with a man-to-man match-up. I suspect if Samuelson was playing in the low post she would have even greater difficulty, despite being taller, because she does not have the same McHale like ability.

However, at 6'3" and a quick release Samuelson really cannot be stopped with isolated man-to-man defense on the perimeter. She either stops herself or a good team defense stops her (often quite physically). Would Collier be as effective in that role? I suspect not. She may be as accurate but she's neither as tall nor has as quick a release.

So now a player like Stevens comes in and that's going to change some things. I don't expect Samuelson's situation to change much, but Collier will play much less in the low post. On the one hand she won't have her Achilles heal to content with, a big with finesse, on the other hand she will play farther from the basket where she may not be as confident. I really don't know how any of that will shake out, though I'd bet anyone a large pizza that no one is going to average more than 20 points a game this year, including Samuelson or Collier. Stevens will make sure of that.

Reaction Score
I had to pick Gabilicious... She just did so many little things last year.. she was a threat everywhere on defense and had her hand in a lot of offensive plays, whether it was scoring or assisting... She'll be even tougher this year.

:)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I've read every comment posted on this thread. Some of the reasons given were very interesting. Reasons that are hard to argue.

Gabby is the overwhelming favorite at the time of this post. However I'm going to break away from conventional wisdom, and vote for Stevens.

I'm going by what she did at Duke, and by the reports we received last year regarding her efforts and accomplishments in practice.

I recall reading reports that she was "dominating " practice. It was reported that no one could stop her. She was doing whatever she wanted. I'm assuming she has picked up where she left off, and that domination can and will transfer to the game court.

If she can do that against arguably the best team in the country, why would she not be able to do that against lesser talented teams? 19 months have Passed since her final game at Duke.

She's 19 months older, she's learned UConn's plays, and understands the team's defensive strategies and assignments. She's also eager to play competitively again after complying with NCAA transfer rules.

If she can dominate games like she does practices that are said to be more intense than games, I'd say she has an equal chance of winning that award. I anticipate her presence on the floor will make the others job a little easier. Teams won't be able to double Lou, Gabby or Napheesa.

Collier will no longer have to help Gabby in the paint on defending the other team's post player.

Last edited by a moderator:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Was Cash a center I thought Asjha Jones was the center then?
It was a 3 headed monster. Cash (in college) had the best outside game of the 3, Williams was a beast down low - incredibly strong and something like a 65% FG%, and Jones was sort of a morph of the 2. Stronger than Cash, but not the range, not as good around the basket as Williams, but more mobile...

Anyway, not sure any of them played as a traditional center. Not sure who would guard a Ruth Riley type - probably Jones or Williams like you alluded to...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Gabby now has just about as many votes (55) as Lou, Napheesa, AND Azura (59)...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It was a 3 headed monster. Cash (in college) had the best outside game of the 3, Williams was a beast down low - incredibly strong and something like a 65% FG%, and Jones was sort of a morph of the 2. Stronger than Cash, but not the range, not as good around the basket as Williams, but more mobile...

Anyway, not sure any of them played as a traditional center. Not sure who would guard a Ruth Riley type - probably Jones or Williams like you alluded to...
You shortchange Tamika, my friend. Her 70.3% for her career is still a NCAA record. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom