Photos & Observations from Courtside Yesterday | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Photos & Observations from Courtside Yesterday

Reaction Score
Yeah, standing that long pretty much sucked. But UConn more than made up for keeping me standing for 12 minutes by overcoming a 6 pt 4th qtr deficit.
I wonder what if anything you saw later in the game where Geno seemed to still be sitting after the players hit the court and maybe even when play resumed after one of the late timeouts?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wonder what if anything you saw later in the game where Geno seemed to still be sitting after the players hit the court and maybe even when play resumed after one of the late timeouts?
Not sure what you’re looking for?

Reaction Score
Not sure what you’re looking for?
Watching the game on TV and noticed that play was just about to resume and Geno was still sitting on a chair/stool, well after the huddle had broke and wondered if you had seen that and perhaps what it was all about. THanks

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Watching the game on TV and noticed that play was just about to resume and Geno was still sitting on a chair/stool, well after the huddle had broke and wondered if you had seen that and perhaps what it was all about. THanks
That’s interesting. But unfortunately, I did not notice it at the time.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I only saw one game in Gampel and it was only because I won tickets at work. Rreal lucky, because at that time Gampel was always sold out (no scalpers around because no one wanted to part with a ticket, it seems -- they were gold.)

A huge fan even then, I was elated! It was the DT era and a weeknight game vs Villanova. Kris Juhline was their star, and a good one. To this day I remember an incredible athletic move by D under the basket.
Villanova was a solid team and it was a close game. Unfortunately, I missed half of it!

I live east of New Haven and I had to pick up my older brother, also a Huskies fan, who I invited. Normally I would travel to Storrs the 'back way,' from the south passing over Willimantic's 'frog bridge.' So I planned on leaving much earlier, but my brother in Madison vetoed that and said it would save time if we took I-91. I was skeptical, but OK -- he was confident.

We're nearing Hartford when I say 'I think we might miss the start of the game.' He says 'no way' -- he had assumed the game was at XL. Arrrrgh! I coulda killed him.

So it's onto I-84 and through Willington and of course the traffic is horrendous on the country road. It's already halftime when we get inside Gampel and find our seats. They're 2-3 rows from the back wall, but at least near midcourt. Warm-ups, to which I had been excitedly anticipating, and the entire first half kaput. A lucky once-in-a-lifetime
experience gutted.

But Uconn won and I actually had seen a game in Gampel, which I had thought impossible. I haven't seen a game in Gampel since then.

The Wildcats beat Uconn in the Big East tourney one of those years, not sure if this was the year. BTW, Bridgeport and Mohegan Sun put XL to shame. But Gampel is best.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure if this was on TV. At one point in the second half a Nova player hit a shot called as a 3 pointer. I could swear at least 1, if not both, of her feet were on the 3-point line. I was screaming my head off with a couple thousand of my friends. Geno called timeout and I expected him to complain to the refs, he didn't. CD talked to a ref who walked to the scorer's table and immediately turned around and walked back confirming the 3-pointer. I can't believe the ref actually looked at the replay.

Speaking of court-side seats. Once I was upgraded to a seat directly behind Geno. If there wasn't a cop sitting on a folding chair between me and Geno, I could have tapped him on the shoulder and given him some pointers :) . Let me say, if you want to see a basketball game, that is a miserable seat. However, if you want to be close to the players and almost be in the UConn huddle during timeouts, the seat is priceless. I learned something. In the huddles they speak in code. I had no clue what they were talking about. I assume coded offensive/defensive sets.

At one point Geno turned to CD and said "did you call that boneheaded play". That was pretty funny.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
The last UConn game I attended in person was in November 2017 when they visited UCLA at Pauley Pavilion. UConn won 78-60. I had great seats 17 rows from the floor, between the basket and the half court line. I completely enjoyed every second of being there. What impressed me the most was I was able to buy those tickets on-line AT FACE VALUE. :D I bumped into former UConn great Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (KML) at a concourse snack bar during halftime.

The tickets I bought for their game at Stanford (Maples Pavilion) in Nov of 2014 were normally $15.00. They were marked up to $55, :mad: and were lousy seats located on the upper level in the corner, right in the middle of some crazy/radical/loud Cardinal fans all wearing RED. :confused:The attendance that night was 7333, 74% of arena capacity. It sure seemed like there were more folks there than that. Six years have passed, time to attend another game. :)
Butler.game.0001.jpg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not sure if this was on TV. At one point in the second half a Nova player hit a shot called as a 3 pointer. I could swear at least 1, if not both, of her feet were on the 3-point line. I was screaming my head off with a couple thousand of my friends. Geno called timeout and I expected him to complain to the refs, he didn't. CD talked to a ref who walked to the scorer's table and immediately turned around and walked back confirming the 3-pointer. I can't believe the ref actually looked at the replay.

Speaking of court-side seats. Once I was upgraded to a seat directly behind Geno. If there wasn't a cop sitting on a folding chair between me and Geno, I could have tapped him on the shoulder and given him some pointers :) . Let me say, if you want to see a basketball game, that is a miserable seat. However, if you want to be close to the players and almost be in the UConn huddle during timeouts, the seat is priceless. I learned something. In the huddles they speak in code. I had no clue what they were talking about. I assume coded offensive/defensive sets.

At one point Geno turned to CD and said "did you call that boneheaded play". That was pretty funny.
You should have told the cop you know Geno and tapped him. Geno is always looking for new sources of information. :)

Reaction Score
As time's slipping bye I'm realizing how fortunate I am.

Was at the Yum center when UConn last visited and watched my team get out played while being surrounded by Louisville fans. I think my presence raised the enjoyment and fun for all the folk's sitting around me. Thankfully we bumped Louisville out of the tournament that year.

Was at the Hinkle Fieldhouse this year with my daughter. My daughter and I are in the top right corner of the screen most every time the camera shows Allen Bestwick & Meghan Culmo. The year before I'm at home with covid and the other set of grandparents to my grandkids watched the game from my seats.

Last night I get a text from my granddaughter letting me know that her and her boyfriend have 3 tickets to the UConn game in Illinois on February 25th and would I want to go with them. . . :)

Yep. Getting to attend a game is a great experience.
Having that relationship with your granddaughter is pretty special. Enjoy that game!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Watching the CBS Sports Network broadcast live, I thought that I saw the same thing. However, when I watched the replay, I didn't see it. (I will admit that I am not as "focused" when watching the replay.) Maybe I'll watch the 4th quarter again.

Reaction Score
Watching the CBS Sports Network broadcast live, I thought that I saw the same thing. However, when I watched the replay, I didn't see it. (I will admit that I am not as "focused" when watching the replay.) Maybe I'll watch the 4th quarter again.
Happened at the 3:43 mark of the 4th quarter

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In the past I thought the 5 active players sat during most time outs, maybe on folding chairs and maybe in a semi circle. Got them off their feet for 60 seconds of rest. Lately they seem to be standing. Is this something new? Maybe my memory is just gone.
Some teams put folding chairs on the court during time outs bur I’ve never seen the UConn women do. The UConn men do, I think

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom