Photos & Observations from Courtside Yesterday | The Boneyard

Photos & Observations from Courtside Yesterday

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The view from courtside at the UConn-Nova game was great. I took a few closeup photos of player huddles during timeouts and will try to get them out on this thread shortly. In the meantime, I have a few courtside observations:
  • The last UConn game I attended was the double-OT game vs NC ST. While this game didn’t make it to OT, (Thank God!) it was equally challenging for my blood pressure. :confused:
  • I’m sure the chatroom was blowing up yesterday. Let me be absolutely clear. Villanova is the real deal. Denise Dillon is a wonderful young HC who’s done a remarkable job in her 3rd season at her alma mater. The Wildcats are far more athletic than they were last year. They run their 5-out motion offense to perfection, and play tough man defense, swarming opponents in the paint.
  • Speaking of athleticism, yesterday was the first time since last season that I’ve seen UConn in person. I was amazed at the physical transformation of the players. Every single Husky that was on the roster last year and suited up yesterday is leaner, stronger and fitter, which is pretty much the only way UConn can compete against a talented Villanova team with 5 Huskies playing 194/200 minutes. Credit to Andrea Hudy who’s training program has really taken hold in her second season back in Storrs.
  • Another comment on athleticism. Villanova’s Christina Dalce can’t throw the ball in the ocean on offense, but OH MY GOD she is a freak of nature, all arms and legs with springs on her feet. She gave Aaliyah fits on defense, blocking 3 of her shots. After the 3rd block, there was a timeout, during which Jamelle took Aaliyah aside and spoke to her at length. From that point on, rather than trying to outjump Dalce, Aaliyah started bodying into her on offense, pinning Dalce’s feet to the floor. Aaliyah subsequently got to the FT line and also scored over Dalce. It was a reminder that nobody knows post play quite like Jamelle. ;)
  • UConn has 3 outstanding shooters on the shelf right now, leaving only Lou as a consistent outside shooting threat. If Lou has an off day, like yesterday, it puts tremendous pressure on the rest of the team to pick up the scoring, while opposing defenses pack it in to defend the paint. UConn desperately needs another healthy shooter or two to help spread the floor and open up the offense. UConn had a size advantage against Villanova yesterday. They won’t have that advantage against SC next week.
  • I don’t know what the attendance was yesterday, but a significant number of fans were young, female basketball players. After the game, many mobbed the area near the UConn bench yelling out to Paige and Nika, both of whom are rock stars to these girls. To their credit, they both spent a lot of time with their young fans after the game, signing autographs, taking selfies and being all-around great role models. On the way back home, my wife and I ran into a busload of HS girls basketball players from Webster, NY at a rest stop on the Mass Pike. They made the long journey to watch UConn and they were absolutely thrilled with the experience.
  • A shout out to Aubrey, who not only was the most remarkable athlete on the court yesterday, but also permanently endeared herself to my wife, who attended Ossining HS long before Aubrey was born. After the game, when UConn players throw little UConn basketballs into the stands, Aubrey was about 30 ft away with a supply of basketballs. I caught Aubrey’s eye and she dropped a perfect dime on me, about shoulder height. To my relief, I didn’t embarrass myself, managing to hold onto the ball, which I promptly handed to the missus. :)
  • Finally, we have all seen the walking wounded on camera. But yesterday at courtside during warmups, and throughout the game, I couldn’t help looking at Paige with her hands in her pockets, Azzi propped up on her Husky crutches, Ice moving slowly and carefully on her bad knee and Caroline standing silent and still. It breaks my heart to know how badly these kids want to be back on the court with their teammates. I continue to hope they will all be back soon, completely healthy, playing the game they love again at the highest level.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
F31E5FCB-1AAC-42A5-B307-AF7F5E3F41FD.jpeg

Reaction Score
The view from courtside at the UConn-Nova game was great. I took a few closeup photos of player huddles during timeouts and will try to get them out on this thread shortly. In the meantime, I have a few courtside observations:
  • The last UConn game I attended was the double-OT game vs NC ST. While this game didn’t make it to OT, (Thank God!) it was equally challenging for my blood pressure. :confused:
  • I’m sure the chatroom was blowing up yesterday. Let me be absolutely clear. Villanova is the real deal. Denise Dillon is a wonderful young HC who’s done a remarkable job in her 3rd season at her alma mater. The Wildcats are far more athletic than they were last year. They run their 5-out motion offense to perfection, and play tough man defense, swarming opponents in the paint.
  • Speaking of athleticism, yesterday was the first time since last season that I’ve seen UConn in person. I was amazed at the physical transformation of the players. Every single Husky that was on the roster last year and suited up yesterday is leaner, stronger and fitter, which is pretty much the only way UConn can compete against a talented Villanova team with 5 Huskies playing 194/200 minutes. Credit to Andrea Hudy who’s training program has really taken hold in her second season back in Storrs.
  • Another comment on athleticism. Villanova’s Christina Dalce can’t throw the ball in the ocean on offense, but OH MY GOD she is a freak of nature, all arms and legs with springs on her feet. She gave Aaliyah fits on defense, blocking 3 of her shots. After the 3rd block, there was a timeout, during which Jamelle took Aaliyah aside and spoke to her at length. From that point on, rather than trying to outjump Dalce, Aaliyah started bodying into her on offense, pinning Dalce’s feet to the floor. Aaliyah subsequently got to the FT line and also scored over Dalce. It was a reminder that nobody knows post play quite like Jamelle. ;)
  • UConn has 3 outstanding shooters on the shelf right now, leaving only Lou as a consistent outside shooting threat. If Lou has an off day, like yesterday, it puts tremendous pressure on the rest of the team to pick up the scoring, while opposing defenses pack it in to defend the paint. UConn desperately needs another healthy shooter or two to help spread the floor and open up the offense. UConn had a size advantage against Villanova yesterday. They won’t have that advantage against SC next week.
  • I don’t know what the attendance was yesterday, but a significant number of fans were young, female basketball players. After the game, many mobbed the area near the UConn bench yelling out to Paige and Nika, both of whom are rock stars to these girls. To their credit, they both spent a lot of time with their young fans after the game, signing autographs, taking selfies and being all-around great role models. On the way back home, my wife and I ran into a busload of HS girls basketball players from Webster, NY at a rest stop on the Mass Pike. They made the long journey to watch UConn and they were absolutely thrilled with the experience.
  • A shout out to Aubrey, who not only was the most remarkable athlete on the court yesterday, but also permanently endeared herself to my wife, who attended Ossining HS long before Aubrey was born. After the game, when UConn players throw little UConn basketballs into the stands, Aubrey was about 30 ft away with a supply of basketballs. I caught Aubrey’s eye and she dropped a perfect dime on me, about shoulder height. To my relief, I didn’t embarrass myself, managing to hold onto the ball, which I promptly handed to the missus. :)
  • Finally, we have all seen the walking wounded on camera. But yesterday at courtside during warmups, and throughout the game, I couldn’t help looking at Paige with her hands in her pockets, Azzi propped up on her Husky crutches, Ice moving slowly and carefully on her bad knee and Caroline standing silent and still. It breaks my heart to know how badly these kids want to be back on the court with their teammates. I continue to hope they will all be back soon, completely healthy, playing the game they love again at the highest level.
Great write up oldude! It’s like I was there with you. Thank you!!!

Reaction Score
It’s killing me reading your excellent post. I’ve never seen the Huskies in person! I am so envious of anyone who can go to these games… and grateful to you for letting me share the experience through posts like this.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In the past I thought the 5 active players sat during most time outs, maybe on folding chairs and maybe in a semi circle. Got them off their feet for 60 seconds of rest. Lately they seem to be standing. Is this something new? Maybe my memory is just gone.
That photo probably was from a 30 second timeout. Otherwise, you are correct. The 5 players on the court sit facing Geno during regular timeouts.

Reaction Score
Great write up oldude! It’s like I was there with you. Thank you!!!
I concur!

We haven't heard from Danny in quite some time now, so you may get the position. Kudos for your photag journalism........however, you need to either cut back on the java (pun intended) or buy a new phone. :rolleyes:

PS: You can let me know later how you scored those seats. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom