Peach Jam Sunday 7/17 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Peach Jam Sunday 7/17

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I know I’m in the minority, but this kid is gonna be a player. I hope we prioritize him. Take Stewart as well if he’ll come.

Reaction Score
Solo
  • 8/3/2. 4/11 from the floor. 0/1 from deep.
  • I like how much he tries to take charges. Not always getting the call in AAU, but it’s a mentality thing I love to see.
  • I have truly never seen worse shot selection from a recruit of ours
  • Seems to get blocked quite a lot? I think he’s predictable going to his left… I am seeing 2 or more per game. 4x this game.
  • Benched the whole second quarter too?
  • Ref called a charge on and and-1 but it shouldn’t have been… kids foot was on the circle.
  • Not thrilled with his vision outside of drive and kicks when he has been trained to look for it. Doesn’t have that game sense.
  • Got benched because he was being selfish and useless on offense.
  • Reminds me of Jalen with his body control in the air… very advanced
  • Did anice job locking Stewart up from scoring. Too short to stop his passing.

Ross
  • 14/2/1. 6/9 from the floor. ⅖ from 3.
  • Love his effort on defense today
  • He’s going to be a completely different player when he gets stronger
  • Absolute money on corner 3s especially… absolute disaster scoring any other way inside the line.
  • Steal and slam with 2 seconds left in the half!
  • GREAT game for him… hitting his 3s, transition dunks, good effort on defense..
  • Hands aren’t so great, but neither are his teammates passes. Not sure what to think of it.
  • I think he had 4 or 5 transition dunks this game.. 2 of them off of steals. LOVE that intensity.
  • Stewart and Ross look the same height. Probably 6’7 in shoes.

Stewart
  • Endd up with 11/6/7. 5/10 from the field. 0/1 from 3. ½ from the line. Had a really hard time getting open on the perimeter to shoot the rock with Solo’s defense.
  • Full stop: He needs to be our number 1 priority right now. This wasn’t even that good of a game for him and I think that. Too much skill for his size to ignore. Super well-rounded.
  • GREAT drive and dump for an assist with solo guarding him… handles pressure really well. The TOs I’ve seen are usually dumb decisions in transition.
  • Got a nice mid-range J… Solo tried to take the charge
  • Should have an extra assist… he had one on a perimeter swing he wasn’t credited with.
  • I think he could be a very good small-ball 4… his work from the low shoulder passing the rock to open shooters in great
  • Limited athletically… will effect him in the open court and on defense. Solid frame to build strength and athleticism though. Good wide shoulders. Long arms.
  • Benched most of the second quarteR? Not sure why
  • BEAUTIFUL behind the back pass when double-teamed to a cutter… teammate lost the dribble, but it was a great pass.
  • FANTASTIC ball control and handles for a 6’7 kid
  • Excellent outlet passes…reminds me of KLove
  • Dump off passes are a thing of beauty… had 3
  • Had a nice transition block
  • Shot is off so he’s getting his assists this game. Passing over solo’s head mostly.
  • BONEHEADED dunk miss. Team is down ten and he went for the poster instead of putting it in.
  • Needs to come to the ball on post-ups… keeps getting it stolen.
  • Went for the poster late in the game but missed the dunk. He definitely has the vertical with a head of steam. I think he doesn’t quite have the quick second jump or hip mobility.
  • Not sure he has the athlticism to get open on the perimeter if he’s face-guarded like this. Needs screens and a set offense.

Reaction Score
Take Stewart as well if he’ll come.
i'm hoping for both. we could very well be losing 6 guys after this season. newton/alleyne/calcaterra to graduation and hawk/aj/sanogo to the pros.

if castle does a midyear reclass then i dont think a 5 man class in '23 of ball/stewart/ross/coen and either estrella or singare is too big especially w/ ross being a developmental guy. plus we'd still need to bring in at least 2 more transfers next summer (3 if springs leaves):

Diarra- Transfer
Castle- Ball
Karaban- Stewart
Samson- Carr
Clingan- Estrella

Bench: Transfer- Ross- Springs?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i'm hoping for both. we could very well be losing 6 guys after this season. newton/alleyne/calcaterra to graduation and hawk/aj/sanogo to the pros.

if castle does a midyear reclass then i dont think a 5 man class in '23 of ball/stewart/ross/coen and either estrella or singare is too big especially w/ ross being a developmental guy. plus we'd still need to bring in at least 2 more transfers next summer (3 if springs leaves):

Diarra- Transfer
Castle- Ball
Karaban- Stewart
Samson- Carr
Clingan- Estrella

Bench: Transfer- Ross- Springs?
I hope they go for both, I don't see any similarities in style of play between Carr and Stewart and I think they pair nicely with Castle, Ross, and Ball so I don't see why they couldn't bring in both guys.

Castle & Carr in a PnR game would be deadly. Stewart and Castle are both playmakers. Stewart Castle and Ross can hit from perimeter. Castle, Ball, and Stewart can be bullies driving to the basket. Castle and Stewart can both be primary ballhandlers. All 5 of Castle, Ball, Ross, Stewart, and Carr would pair nicely especially when you add in Samson, Karaban, and Clingan.

Reaction Score
I charted all the major guys UConn was / is looking at as well as the commits from Peach Jam

Solo Ball (8 games):
41% FG, 30% 3FG, 71% FT, 12 PPG, 3.4 RPG, 2:1.1 A/T, 25 MPG

Jaylin Stewart (7 games):
49% FG, 35% 3FG, 70% FT, 17 PPG, 6.6 RPG, 2.9:1.9 A/T, 1.6 BPG, 1.1 SPG, 26 MPG

Coen Carr (7 games):
47% FG, 21% 3FG, 27% FT, 12.6 PPG, 7 RPG, 1:2 A/T, 2.4 BPG, 1.3 SPG, 27 MPG

Scotty Middleton (7 games):
40% FG, 29% 3FG, 65% FT, 12.7 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 2.1:1.6 A/T, 24 MPG

Jayden Ross (8 games):
41% FG, 24% 3FG, 46% FT, 8 PPG, 4 RPG, 1.5:1 A/T, 1.25 SPG, 23 MPG

Couple observations: there is a lot of volatility for each of these players game to game even in decent sample sizes like this. Middleton was in line to have a Stewart type week but then went 2-17, 0-7 from 3 in the last game. No idea what happened there. May have been playing a little over his skis so numbers here might better reflect what he is capable of. Didn't watch the game so don't know. Likewise, Stewart went off for 33 one game bringing his scoring up relative to everyone else. He did have 1 other game with 25 points and shot decent but not jaw dropping percentages.The Carr FT percentage looks terrible but again is the product of one game (yesterday 1-8). Otherwise would have been bad but not horrific. Jayden's 3PG% and FT% are concerning but he rarely went to the line so it's a small sample (13 FTs) and would have hoped he would have shot above 30% from distance (took 29 3s).

By and large the first four guys had pretty similar weeks hovering around 12 PPG and good but not great percentages with the exception of Stewart who really showcased his scoring ability but also his ability to impact other parts of the game (see A/T, BPG, and SPG).

Going off of these stats, Stewart had the best week by far followed by Solo & Middleton (tie), Carr, then Jayden, but at least in Jayden's case he finished on a very strong note yesterday going 6-9 from the field for 14 points and a couple steals so you see his upside.

Reaction Score
I charted all the major guys UConn was / is looking at as well as the commits from Peach Jam

Solo Ball (8 games):

Coen Carr (7 games):

Jayden Ross (8 games):

Couple observations: there is a lot of volatility for each of these players game to game even in decent sample sizes like this. Middleton was in line to have a Stewart type week but then went 2-17, 0-7 from 3 in the last game. No idea what happened there. May have been playing a little over his skis so numbers here might better reflect what he is capable of. Didn't watch the game so don't know. Likewise, Stewart went off for 33 one game bringing his scoring up relative to everyone else. He did have 1 other game with 25 points and shot decent but not jaw dropping percentages.The Carr FT percentage looks terrible but again is the product of one game (yesterday 1-8). Otherwise would have been bad but not horrific. Jayden's 3PG% and FT% are concerning but he rarely went to the line so it's a small sample (13 FTs) and would have hoped he would have shot above 30% from distance (took 29 3s).

By and large the first four guys had pretty similar weeks hovering around 12 PPG and good but not great percentages with the exception of Stewart who really showcased his scoring ability but also his ability to impact other parts of the game (see A/T, BPG, and SPG).

Going off of these stats, Stewart had the best week by far followed by Solo & Middleton (tie), Carr, then Jayden, but at least in Jayden's case he finished on a very strong note yesterday going 6-9 from the field for 14 points and a couple steals so you see his upside.

This is great, thanks for putting it together. Seems like scoring isn't an issue for most, but the 3P% and FT%'s are a little concerning. Especially with our team's history of not being able to hit a 3 and our new 4-out offense.

I watched a few games from Team Melo and I feel like Ball could be a solid shooter with some mechanical tweaks. I've seen Ross be projected as a sniper on here but from the couple games I saw, he looks a little uncomfortable shooting.

Hopefully they can develop their shooting a bit next year.

Reaction Score

Solo Ball (8 games):

Coen Carr (7 games):

Jayden Ross (8 games):

I'm a bit concerned with how few freshman shooters Hurley has brought in since he's been here.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm a bit concerned with how few freshman shooters Hurley has brought in since he's been here.
You could argue a number of kids he’s brought in were supposed to be shooters. But many of them haven’t worked or shown it so far. This class in particular seriously needs at least one shooter though, hope it’s Stewart.

Reaction Score
I'd rather every kid we recruit be able to shoot, but if we're bringing in 2-3 shooters from the portal every year like they're doing now my concern goes way down

Reaction Score
Bouk, Karaban, Hawkins. Missed on Anglin. Still not sure exactly what happened with Griffiths. Definitely would like a shooter in this class although I do think they view Ross as a guy who will be considered a shooter by the time he gets here.

Reaction Score
Bouk, Karaban, Hawkins. Missed on Anglin. Still not sure exactly what happened with Griffiths. Definitely would like a shooter in this class although I do think they view Ross as a guy who will be considered a shooter by the time he gets here.
Shooters coming out of high school you can add Adams, Akok, and Gaffney to that list

Reaction Score
I'd rather every kid we recruit be able to shoot, but if we're bringing in 2-3 shooters from the portal every year like they're doing now my concern goes way down
Hopefully but I only see one in Alleyne. I expect Hawkins shooting and overall game to be way better this upcoming season and hopefully Karaban will shoot it well but we still don't look like a team of shooters. The guys we're bringing in the following season and the ones we're targeting look good but I wouldn't call any of them shooters.

Reaction Score
Hopefully but I only see one in Alleyne. I expect Hawkins shooting and overall game to be way better this upcoming season and hopefully Karaban will shoot it well but we still don't look like a team of shooters. The guys we're bringing in the following season and the ones we're targeting look good but I wouldn't call any of them shooters.
Calcaterra is a great shooter so that's the 2nd. I'd include Newton as well but I see an argument against that. We're definitely not prioritizing shooting with any of the 2023 recruits though, so no argument there

Reaction Score
Now that the Peach Jam is over, would love to start hearing about some visits for August. Coen, Stewart, Estrella are the main three I'd love to try and get on campus.
And singare since estrella is the biggest Longshot of the three.

are these the last 4 outstanding offers of '23 unless staff makes new ones?

Reaction Score
And singare since estrella is the biggest Longshot of the three.

are these the last 4 outstanding offers of '23 unless staff makes new ones?
Also offers out to Tafara Gapare, Isaiah Miranda, Chris Johnson, Darius Carr, Andrej Stojakovic. But Miranda is the only one we've been mentioned with recently

Reaction Score
Also offers out to Tafara Gapare, Isaiah Miranda, Chris Johnson, Darius Carr, Andrej Stojakovic. But Miranda is the only one we've been mentioned with recently
Gapare (2022 and apparently may go pro) and Stojakovic seem like longshots. I think Johnson and Carr are probably out now that we got a commitment from Ball. Miranda is a mystery...not exactly sure what the deal is there. Feel like he may be waiting on bigger offers.

Reaction Score
Now that the Peach Jam is over, would love to start hearing about some visits for August. Coen, Stewart, Estrella are the main three I'd love to try and get on campus.

Players are home for a couple weeks in August. Unless guys are fairly close by for an unofficial or they think they can push a commitment with an official, I think it makes more sense to wait for weekends after the semester has started to have guys on campus for officials.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I don’t know if anyone from The Horde usually covers Peach Jam, but I’m glad Borges was there.

I can't remember anyone else from the horde ever covering Peach Jam before. Borges had to give himself a little pat on the back. Lol

"Hearst Connecticut Media was the only local affiliate at the tournament. Here are five things we learned from the Peach Jam:"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I can't remember anyone else from the horde ever covering Peach Jam before. Borges had to give himself a little pat on the back. Lol

"Hearst Connecticut Media was the only local affiliate at the tournament. Here are five things we learned from the Peach Jam:"

As the saying goes, it ain't bragging if it's true.

Reaction Score
Just opened a new jar of what I thought was orange jam. No. Guess what. Peach jam.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom