Peach Jam Sunday 7/17 | The Boneyard

Peach Jam Sunday 7/17

Reaction Score
Can watch Scotty Middleton 《Brad Beal Elite ) against Solo Ball and Jayden Ross ( Team Melo ) @ 11:00 am. Sunday Game streamed on EYbl site. Not sure if Tafara Gaspare will be playing with BBE or not..
I hope team Melo can get all their guys to play.. they don’t seem to get all hands on deck in these sessions

Reaction Score
Melo got in a hole early and couldn't get out, cut it to 4 but couldn't put it away. My notes...

SOLO 1/17
  • Ended up with 11/4/2. 5/8 overall, 1/4 from deep.
  • Nice hit ahead assist early in the first
  • Bricked a 3 from the corner
  • Rebounding well early
  • Looks one-dimension on offense right now… can’t even get his shot off.
  • Low-risk passer. He’ll be a low turnover kind of player in time.
  • Projects as a solid drive and kick passer… not much in the way of pick and roll passing right now though
  • Terrible no-call by a ref on one of his misses.
  • He’s kind of predictable in the half court. Very few dribble moves to get open and to the rim… always goes and finishes left.
  • Open court he’s super creative, if a bit TO prone.
  • MUCH better 3 point shooter when he is in the flow of the offense with good footwork… same thing as I saw before. He is a good shooter, with a questionable IQ…. shot selection is poor. He’s going to find a lot of his shots from deep unacceptable at Brewster.
  • GREAT putback early in the 3rd. The kid is QUICK
  • Absolutely go go gadget arms. He must have a 6’10 wingspan
  • I cannot stress how abysmal his shot selection is. He’s just throwing it up from deep without good footwork at all.
  • 2 foul assists that I remember… bunch of bricked 3s his teammates missed on swing passes.
  • Limited offensive skillset was evident today on the perimeter. He was shut down for most of the game.
  • Very strong at the rim… most of his points were offball cuts and putbacks. VERY efficient from 2.
  • Athletic transition block.. Not sure if it was before or after the whistle
ROSS 1/17
  • Ended up with 11/5/0… 4/9 from the field, ⅖ from deep. 1/1 from the line.
  • Couple of nice rebounds
  • Really bad at driving… too small, bad handles getting downhill…
  • Missed a couple 3s early
  • He sits a lot… just not quite good enough if his shot isn’t falling.
  • Not super coordinated because of the lack of hip and core strength
  • Had a a pretty mid-post fade away J
  • GREAT and-1 3 ball on the assist from SOLO
  • Not a good passer… vision isn’t there because the skills are all still building. He’s too focused on not turning it over… plays too fast.
  • Legit shooter. Once he’s strong, I could see him in a role like Polley with better rebounding. We definitely could use a bench sniper for 4 years if he won’t transfer.
  • Needs 2 years of SnC and diet work

Reaction Score
Game summary - Brad Beal Elite (Scotty) won 63-53. Team Melo (Ball + Ross) almost overcame a double digit 4th quarter deficit but got beat badly on the boards and BBE ran away with it late

Ball: 11pts / 4reb, 5-8 shooting
Ross: 11pts / 5reb, 4-9 shooting
Middleton: 13pts / 5reb, 5-8 shooting

Reaction Score
I've watched hundreds of top 100 players over the years, and I rejoice when targets commit to UConn. From their commitment date, I enjoy being optimistic every year about the possibilities of our new recruits and what they bring to help us win on the big stage. This time, I've watched 3 1/2 games of Melo and 2 of Beal so far, and I haven't seen a hint of play that would justify high rankings for these guys. Ball, Ross, and Middleton all offer developmental possibilities, but none of them look ready to contribute right away. It's concerning if our roster requires us to rely on them next year. As an individual player, I like Ross so far. Contrary to Husky429 I think he is pretty good with the ball, (better than Hawkins last year). The strength issue shows more because he plays out of position at center for Melo in these recent games. I expected much more effort from Ball than I've seen, and, I've yet to see an athletic play that would distinguish him from the other players on the court. My concern is compounded because they aren't winning games. I don't see how we win The Big East and make deep Ncaa runs if this became our core group. IMO these guys seem most suited to help a team that has a core of alpha players like Clingan, Karaban, Johnson, Castle, portal transfers, etc Diarra seems like he would keep these guys glued to the bench.

I think, together with our current reported targets, we have taken a big step down from the potential of Edwards, Griffi.ths, Bowen, Miranda, Bradshaw, Batulis, Watson, Kante, and more recent names like Estrella, Kingsley, Gafare. All these guys showed something in every game that projected them as top 100 players.

Hurley obviously feels he can make these guys good, and each of them appears to be the type of quality kid that expects to put in the work. I'm routing for them but my fingers are crossed.

Reaction Score
Contrary to Husky429 I think he is pretty good with the ball, (better than Hawkins last year).

FWIW I'm talking about Ross's ability to get downhill. He's fine bringing it up the court... doesn't seem to be able to get by anyone.

But overall, yeah I agree. Ross is obviously a bench player. Solo is super inconsistent. The games he's dropping 30+ he looks like a star, other times he just looks like he's running through the motions. I am chalking that up to the inconsistent energy levels you see in AAU.

As far as Middleton... he's another high ceiling player and I'm be happy if he committed, but I'm hardly worried about the OSU news.

Reaction Score
I've watched hundreds of top 100 players over the years, and I rejoice when targets commit to UConn. From their commitment date, I enjoy being optimistic every year about the possibilities of our new recruits and what they bring to help us win on the big stage. This time, I've watched 3 1/2 games of Melo and 2 of Beal so far, and I haven't seen a hint of play that would justify high rankings for these guys. Ball, Ross, and Middleton all offer developmental possibilities, but none of them look ready to contribute right away. It's concerning if our roster requires us to rely on them next year. As an individual player, I like Ross so far. Contrary to Husky429 I think he is pretty good with the ball, (better than Hawkins last year). The strength issue shows more because he plays out of position at center for Melo in these recent games. I expected much more effort from Ball than I've seen, and, I've yet to see an athletic play that would distinguish him from the other players on the court. My concern is compounded because they aren't winning games. I don't see how we win The Big East and make deep Ncaa runs if this became our core group. IMO these guys seem most suited to help a team that has a core of alpha players like Clingan, Karaban, Johnson, Castle, portal transfers, etc Diarra seems like he would keep these guys glued to the bench.

I think, together with our current reported targets, we have taken a big step down from the potential of Edwards, Griffi.ths, Bowen, Miranda, Bradshaw, Batulis, Watson, Kante, and more recent names like Estrella, Kingsley, Gafare. All these guys showed something in every game that projected them as top 100 players.

Hurley obviously feels he can make these guys good, and each of them appears to be the type of quality kid that expects to put in the work. I'm routing for them but my fingers are crossed.

And FWIW... the reason they're losing games is because of rebounding primarily.

Reaction Score
Brewster is going to be good for Solo; it’s likely to be the best coaching he’s ever had, considering his AAU and high school experiences. Jason does a nice job, and he’s going to be surrounded by talent. Now Jayden needs to get his figured out.

Reaction Score

I respect your basketball analysis because you've clearly shown you know what you're talking about over the years but I think you're way way off base here. And I could have told you this post was coming from you 2 years ago before anyone committed regardless of who we got. You made up your mind that you wanted the local guys like Griffiths and Bowen and anything other than that was going to be trashed by you.

Now that's not to say the local guys aren't going to be great players, or that Ball/Ross/Middleton are perfect prospects (and we're not even getting Middleton so you can rest easy there). But I feel very confident in saying you're going in with a closed mind when watching these games. This is just an incredibly bad take from you

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

I don’t think the idea is for these guys to be starting immediately sans Castle. Ross is clearly a developmental guy, Solo probably isn’t a starter until year 2 ideally. Scotty might get on the floor for his team if they need his defensive presence, but I agree that he’s over ranked. Edwards and Griffiths were immediate impact guys, but there’s no point in lamenting the misses there.

Reaction Score

Think it all depends on what happens next year. Newton and Alleyne have extra years of eligibility if they want it. The goal is for Hawkins and Andre to go pro after next year, but if they don't, then we could have our starting PG/SG/SF solidified already. Castle would probably take 6th Man from Alleyne, and then him/Diarra/Ball would share bench backcourt minutes with potential to try some out as a small ball SF. Ross would probably be a multi-year developmental player regardless, and this obviously doesn't include any future commits/transfers.

There's lots of combinations for these guys depending on who leaves next offseason. If we want Ball/Ross/maybe Middleton to be the go-to guys in 2023, then you are absolutely right we are definitely in trouble. They all look very raw, but they still have a year to develop in HS and maybe with some guys from the coaching staff giving them feedback. However, unless everybody overachieves next year and goes pro (which would hopefully mean a deep tournament run!), I think we'll have at least a few major players back to allow the freshmen a year to get into the swing of BE basketball.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Brewster is going to be good for Solo; it’s likely to be the best coaching he’s ever had, considering his AAU and high school experiences. Jason does a nice job, and he’s going to be surrounded by talent. Now Jayden needs to get his figured out.
Now that I know who you are, I need to like every one of your posts. Not that it matters. You have the most impressive reaction score to post ratio I’ve seen. ;)

Reaction Score
I respect your basketball analysis because you've clearly shown you know what you're talking about over the years but I think you're way way off base here. And I could have told you this post was coming from you 2 years ago before anyone committed regardless of who we got. You made up your mind that you wanted the local guys like Griffiths and Bowen and anything other than that was going to be trashed by you.

Now that's not to say the local guys aren't going to be great players, or that Ball/Ross/Middleton are perfect prospects (and we're not even getting Middleton so you can rest easy there). But I feel very confident in saying you're going in with a closed mind when watching these games. This is just an incredibly bad take from you
We might have seen the post coming but that doesn't mean it isn't true. Ricker has championship level expectations for the program and 2023 had the potential to be a monster class given the local talent yet castle is the only championship caliber player he thinks we've landed. It's an objective take even if you might not appreciate his negativity. Idk if he's even being negative he's just really disappointed.

after a rocky start you and I have gotten along for a couple years now and I hope we continue to, but ever since you were promoted to moderator status you've been a bit authoritarian

Reaction Score
We might have seen the post coming but that doesn't mean it isn't true. Ricker has championship level expectations for the program and 2023 had the potential to be a monster class given the local talent yet castle is the only championship caliber player he thinks we've landed. It's an objective take even if you might not appreciate his negativity. Idk if he's even being negative he's just really disappointed.

after a rocky start you and I have gotten along for a couple years now and I hope we continue to, but ever since you were promoted to moderator status you've been a bit authoritarian
Ever since what? I'm certainly not a moderator here

Reaction Score

Isn't it pretty much the definition of a subjective take?

Reaction Score
Isn't it pretty much the definition of a subjective take?
Not if his take is based on an objective analysis of the players, which I believe it is. Ricker might have had his heart set on some guys but I don't think that means he's been unfairly critical of Ball and Ross.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not if his take is based on an objective analysis of the players, which I believe it is. Ricker might have had his heart set on some guys but I don't think that means he's been unfairly critical of Ball and Ross.

It’s based on his subjective analysis.

Reaction Score
It’s based on his subjective analysis.
Are you saying Unless one is evaluating a player based solely on verifiable statistics then it cannot be objective? If that's the case then there is no such thing as an objective player analysis because it will always be based in part on one's own observations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are you saying Unless one is evaluating a player based solely on verifiable statistics then it cannot be objective? If that's the case then there is no such thing as an objective player analysis because it will always be based in part on one's own observations.

I think that's exactly what he's saying. Seems pretty reasonable tbh

Reaction Score
I think that's exactly what he's saying. Seems pretty reasonable tbh
Im done putting words in Rickers mouth But People are surely capable of objectivity without having to rely on statistics. We all make objective decisions every day without consulting spreadsheets first.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My understanding is this class is one of the weakest in years. Perhaps the disconnect with talent analysis is the number in front of their names whereby a #35 last year was a sophomore starter and next year a #35 is a junior starter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom