OT: - Paying It Forward | The Boneyard

OT: Paying It Forward

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So I get to the window at the Dunkin drive-thru and the attendant tells me that the woman in the car before me paid for my order. Now I've done this before but I never had it done for me. It works! I'm in a good mood! I'm just going to logoff the Yard now so I don't lose it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So I get to the window at the Dunkin drive-thru and the attendant tells me that the woman in the car before me paid for my order. Now I've done this before but I never had it done for me. It works! I'm in a good mood! I'm just going to logoff the Yard now so I don't lose it.
With my luck I’ll have the family with 6 kids behind me and a $100 order to pay for!
@Waquoit , did you check rearview mirror to see who was behind you before taking your prepaid meal?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’ve not experienced this. Don’t think I need to. I get the idea of being nice, but it would seem you’d not want to foot the bill for some Mega order an intern is picking up for the office or something.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You don’t pay after they order. You pay for what you want to give.

That’s even more weird. So you buy them something they may not want?

Reaction Score
That’s even more weird. So you buy them something they may not want?
I think the idea is that the server says, the guy in front of you paid for a coffee and bagel, would you like it? You’re under no obligation to take it. If you take it, you might pay for the same for the next person. Etc.

Reaction Score
Good grief. You hand the person 10 bucks or 20 or whatever you would like. You say I’m buying for the person behind me, the rest is for you.

You drive off, and despite all evidence to the contrary, you feel like you’re a good person. It’s not complicated.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
So here is a little story about paying it forward:

An older gentleman, at the order board at the drive through. Impatient woman in the car behind him leans on the horn, to hurry him along.

He is a little annoyed at her rudeness, but at the pay window, he offers to pay for her order, as well as his own.

As she gets to the pay window, she is informed that he payed. She gives a friendly toot on the horn to him, and waves, cheerfully.

He waves back.

When he gets to the pick up window, he picks up her order as well as his, after all, he does have the receipt.

As he drives away, he takes great comfort in having rewarded her rude impatience with the gift to her of one more spin through the drive through.

Reaction Score
So here is a little story about paying it forward:

An older gentleman, at the order board at the drive through. Impatient woman in the car behind him leans on the horn, to hurry him along.

He is a little annoyed at her rudeness, but at the pay window, he offers to pay for her order, as well as his own.

As she gets to the pay window, she is informed that he payed. She gives a friendly toot on the horn to him, and waves, cheerfully.

He waves back.

When he gets to the pick up window, he picks up her order as well as his, after all, he does have the receipt.

As he drives away, he takes great comfort in having rewarded her rude impatience with the gift to her of one more spin through the drive through.
I can’t believe you did that!

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
OK - sorta humble brag....
One time when I was at the grocery store with my wife, I was finishing up the checkout process and she was walking toward the exit. My wife saw a woman with a toddler on her hip who didn't have enough money to pay for all the groceries that she was buying and started putting a few things back - not crap items but things like milk or butter. So my wife walked up, told the checker to put everything back in the bags and paid for the entire purchase.

She's a good woman.

Reaction Score
One time when I went to Dunkin’ Donuts the lady in front of me was taking forever looking for her money in her coat pocket as she was a bit short on money, while yelling at her impatient kid. I was just getting a coffe as it was as she was getting food for 3 people.

I motioned to the cashier that I’ll take care of it so I went ahead of her and put my credit card in already had my coffee ready as cashier already knew what I was getting. Was on time schedule, as I’m leaving the cashier said he took care of you already your fine as she finally had her money ready as I’m walking out the door and there was a line building up.

Last edited:

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
With my luck I’ll have the family with 6 kids behind me and a $100 order to pay for!
LOL, I saw this hilarious video, maybe Face Book, of what you just said. She drives up to the window and was told the car in front paid for your coffee. She was happy and told the girl at the window, "I will do the same and pay for the car behind me". The girl said "okay that will be $55.90." LOL you had to see it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
have you never been to a drive thru before?
Yes. I pay for what I ordered at the speaker. It's not complicated. I also use cash. Every time.
I think the idea is that the server says, the guy in front of you paid for a coffee and bagel, would you like it? You’re under no obligation to take it. If you take it, you might pay for the same for the next person. Etc.
That makes sense. Or as others said, you put down $10 towards whatever they order. But the process seems somewhat less than efficient. Usually by the time I pay, whoever is behind me has ordered, and the window staff knows exactly what their bill is.

Reaction Score
Yes. I pay for what I ordered at the speaker. It's not complicated. I also use cash. Every time.

That makes sense. Or as others said, you put down $10 towards whatever they order. But the process seems somewhat less than efficient. Usually by the time I pay, whoever is behind me has ordered, and the window staff knows exactly what their bill is.
Yeah, I didn’t think of it that way.

Reaction Score
Someone paid for my toll to cross the Delaware Bridge (I think it was the Delaware). I was really touched by that. It gave me a real feeling of positivity while on a very long drive. It is a powerful gesture when it happens to you. Great thing to do for someone today given the holiday.

Reaction Score
Someone paid for my toll to cross the Delaware Bridge (I think it was the Delaware). I was really touched by that. It gave me a real feeling of positivity while on a very long drive. It is a powerful gesture when it happens to you. Great thing to do for someone today given the holiday.
A few years ago we were driving our son to a baseball tournament up in Tulsa. We were approaching a toll and there was a big merge right before the toll and traffic was stop and go. This guy in a huge truck, stereotypical looking vehicle, pulls out and cuts me off nearly causing an accident. I am really mad and we are all talking about what a jerk the guy was but I didn’t lay on the horn or anything since we were totally boxed in and I didn’t want the guy jumping out with a gun or anything (hey, it’s rural Oklahoma so it would not have been a surprise). We get up to the toll and are informed that he paid the toll for us. I guess our snap judgement was wrong.

Reaction Score
I've had it happen a few times at tolls over the years.

One time in a dollar store, a lady was short 5 dollars (someone had picked up the Lego set and put it back on the wrong shelf). I paid the 5 dollars and tax on her items. She asked me why I did that when I didn't know her. I just told her "Santa doesn't disappoint." She began crying and kept on thanking me. It's a memory that bring me great joy and nothing can take that away from me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom