2024 Recruiting: - Patrick Ngongba | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Patrick Ngongba

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Upset with the timing of the visit? You want him here for first night? Has @Chief00 taught you nothing, that’s when all the casuals will be there. Flagg is not a casual and won’t be picking his school based on a gimmicky night
maybe he loves gimmicky nights.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, some schools have more NIL money than us, eg Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and some others (Alabama, LSU, Miami, a few others seem to have plenty of NIL money), but they only have so many roster spots and we should be able to find good players even if recruitment comes down to bidding wars.

Once the universities and conferences can pay players, then we'll be in more trouble. But as of now, UConn's fan base is competitive on the NIL side with most of college basketball.
There is no reason UConn can't be competitive on NIL. Ultimately, it's about local advertising value and willingness of local businesses to pay for that. I think the NCAA will start to crack down on abuse of it.

In situations like Miami's last year, you've got a booster who is just wildly overpaying kids for some promotional stuff, even though a Miami basketball player doesn't move the needle in Miami. Not what NIL intended.

UConn players will be meaningful for advertising for local franchises or businesses. Or national in the case of players with huge social media accounts like Paige. This is the legit, intended use of NIL, not as a way for boosters to game the system. We seem to lack the boosters willing to throw money at them. Eventually, that won't be a problem.

Kansas, Kentucky and Duke probably have both legit local business promotional opportunities and boosters willing to take a loss and use NIL inappropriately to influence player recruitment. Players at all those schools definitely would have legit promotional and advertising value as well. Some will of course have a national following like Paige. You really don't get a national Gatorade deal because you went to school A vs school B, you mostly get it because you have that kind of pull on your own.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Upset with the timing of the visit? You want him here for first night? Has @Chief00 taught you nothing, that’s when all the casuals will be there. Flagg is not a casual and won’t be picking his school based on a gimmicky night
Duke seems to be planning a big weekend around their gimmicky night.

IMG_2662.png

Reaction Score
Cam never actually said that, it was a rumor started by a Rutgers slanted website. Just sayin.
I was also going to respond to his post that I don't remember Cam saying that. I read every UConn article and I would have remembered that because that would be so out of character with how Hurley said he recruits. Hurley has said many times if NIL is one of the most important things to a recruit then UConn isn't going to be the place for you.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Insightful…
So was the post i responded to and almost every post about every recruit. They are all pretty much speculative nonsense with no real foundation in fact. Which was my point. There is very little insight in threads about recruits regarding what a recruit is actually thinking. For all you know, this teenager might be a sucker for gimmicks. By the way, a home cooked meal at a coach’s home is a recruiting device some might call a gimmick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom