2024 Recruiting: - Patrick Ngongba | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Patrick Ngongba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I'm trying to think of the "package deals" we've scored over the years.
  • Alex Oriakhi and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel
    • Alex was a bigger piece but Jamal had that huge rebound in the BET. I think JC might have had issues with Jamal's work ethic, but I could be making that up.
  • Jake Voskuhl and Michael LeBlanc
    • I think Mike might have been the more highly touted recruit at the time but he never caught on and transferred to Vanderbilt and finally Houston Baptist.

Any others?

Reaction Score
The recent news might take Duke and Kentucky out of the Ngongba sweepstakes. Kansas State is still a threat. And of course the juggernaut that is Providence.
Don't think the Kentucky news would have any impact, he's a 2023 recruit and projected 2nd rounder in the NBA Draft before Ngongba would even be on campus. Still like our chances to get him though

Reaction Score
    • Alex was a bigger piece but Jamal had that huge rebound in the BET. I think JC might have had issues with Jamal's work ethic, but I could be making that up.
    • I think Mike might have been the more highly touted recruit at the time but he never caught on and transferred to Vanderbilt and finally Houston Baptist.

Any others?
It didn’t score but there was that hot minute late in the 2014 summer where it looked like we were trending to land the Diamond Stone and Malik Newman combo. Probably the last time the program had the kind of cache it does now.

Can’t believe it’s been almost ten years since then.

Reaction Score

Any others?
It was more than Jamal Coombs-McDaniel’s work ethic that Calhoun had a problem with…

Reaction Score

Any others?
You're not making up the work ethic issue. Jamal Coombs-McDaniel left UConn for Hofstra. He was playing hoops there while my son was there getting a grad degree. My son said he'd walk by him every so often, and most of the times he did so Jamal Coombs-McDaniel was high.

Jamal Coombs-McDaniel had a good deal of talent. Even as we melded towards the '11 championship, midway through the season he got hot in back to back games and looked like he could be the scoring option to take pressure of Kemba and AO. But then he got hurt and was just a roll player when he came back, largely because of the improvement shown by Lamb and Napier.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're not making up the work ethic issue. Jamal Coombs-McDaniel left UConn for Hofstra. He was playing hoops there while my son was there getting a grad degree. My son said he'd walk by him every so often, and most of the times he did so Jamal Coombs-McDaniel was high.

Jamal Coombs-McDaniel had a good deal of talent. Even as we melded towards the '11 championship, midway through the season he got hot in back to back games and looked like he could be the scoring option to take pressure of Kema and AO. But then he got hurt and was just a roll player when he came back, largely because of the improvement shown by Lamb and Napier.

Roscoe was really the guy that took a lot of Jamal Coombs-McDaniel's minutes from what I remember. Jamal Coombs-McDaniel wasn't fluid enough as an athlete to be a guard at the college level so he had to carve out the 3/4 hybrid role. Roscoe just happened to be way better defensively and Calhoun leaned on him a lot particularly towards the end of the season.

Reaction Score

Any others?
I actually thought it was the opposite. I thought Voskuhl was the more highly regarded recruit.

Reaction Score
The recent news might take Duke and Kentucky out of the Ngongba sweepstakes. Kansas State is still a threat. And of course the juggernaut that is Providence.
Obviously Tang seems like a fun coach and they're building a great program there, but I just refuse to believe he would pick them over us. We're the better program overall and defending champs, he's an east coast kid, we already signed his teammate. Obvious choice is obvious. Doomed btw.

Reaction Score
Either Jerome Tang is wasting a bunch of time or he is getting this dude. The posts he and his staff posted were silly IMO

Attachments

• tang.PNG
    tang.PNG
    199.1 KB · Views: 359

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Either Jerome Tang is wasting a bunch of time or he is getting this dude. The posts he and his staff posted were silly IMO
Wow that's cringe

Reaction Score
ON HIS VISIT TO K-STATE:

“I was a little surprised by it. It’s a cool place. There’s really nothing around it. It’s a place where they like their team and you can really just focus on basketball. I was just surprised by how there was pretty much nothing else out there.”
He's been to UConn as well, but he didn't say the same thing about Storrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom