PAC 12 WBB News | Page 22 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some may find it interesting that less than 24 hours after it is announced that Haley Jones is out for 'health and safety protocols', Oregon State is willing to play next Wednesday.

Though, IMO it's a good chance for other Stanford players to get minutes if Haley isn't ready to go next Wednesday.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Some may find it interesting that less than 24 hours after it is announced that Haley Jones is out for 'health and safety protocols', Oregon State is willing to play next Wednesday.

Though, IMO it's a good chance for other Stanford players to get minutes if Haley isn't ready to go next Wednesday.
Well, anyone who saw Stanford demolish UCLA last night knows the Card aren't an easy mark without Jones, so...

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Well, all credit to Barnes and Graves, but I'm actually more excited for tonight's Arizona-Oregon game that I was for our game against UCLA last night. (In part, of course, because UCLA has a pile of injuries and it didn't seem likely to be an exciting game.)

Reaction Score
5 minutes to tip off in Desert Financial Arena. If shoot around is any indication it's going to be a long night for the Lady Devils. The beavers didn't miss a single shot from beyond the arc pregame. Taya Hansen is coming off of a 1 for 10 shooting misadventure in Eugene hasn't hit anything, except the floor pregame.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Arena. If shoot around is any indication it's going to be a long night for the Lady Devils. The beavers didn't miss a single shot from beyond the arc pregame.
The 3 ball has mostly been absent all year for the Beavs, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
5 minutes to tip off in Desert Financial Arena. If shoot around is any indication it's going to be a long night for the Lady Devils. The beavers didn't miss a single shot from beyond the arc pregame. Taya Hansen is coming off of a 1 for 10 shooting misadventure in Eugene hasn't hit anything, except the floor pregame.
Just a friendly note that they aren't called the Lady Sun Devils, and since this is exclusively a women's basketball forum, there is no need to invent such a designation to clarify we're talking about the women's team. And if anything, since the men's team is currently well below .500 and led by a coach who was recently suspended for acting like a child mid temper-tantrum, the men should be playing second fiddle to the ladies these days...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just a friendly note that they aren't called the Lady Sun Devils, and since this is exclusively a women's basketball forum, there is no need to invent such a designation to clarify we're talking about the women's team. And if anything, since the men's team is currently well below .500 and led by a coach who was recently suspended for acting like a child mid temper-tantrum, the men should be playing second fiddle to the ladies these days...
I agree completely. I'm listening to Jeff Munn on the radio broadcast.

Worth the price of admission to see coach Reuck stand next to Mitrovic.

Love attending ASU WBB since 1974. Regardless of designation they are a fun team to watch.

Reaction Score
The 3 ball has mostly been absent all year for the Beavs, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
You are correct, it's Devil's 5-2 advantage from beyond the arc at the half.

And the Curtain of Doom comes out . . .

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
You are correct, it's Devil's 5-2 advantage from beyond the arc at the half.

And the Curtain of Doom comes out . . .
I'm pretty sure you don't even want to think about what this season would be looking like if Loville didn't transfer in.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Taylor Jones had shoulder surgery and will miss the rest of the season. I think OSU fans were already kinda prepared for the worst, so not a big surprise.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Unless something drastic happens, looking fairly likely that both Oregon St. and UCLA will miss the Tourney this year for the first time in a long time. Not sure who might replace them, Utah and Colorado both seem somewhat unlikely to me. Stanford, Arizona and Oregon seem like the only real locks. The Pac 12 might cannibalize itself this year and have a real dearth of teams in the Tourney.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Unless something drastic happens, looking fairly likely that both Oregon St. and UCLA will miss the Tourney this year for the first time in a long time. Not sure who might replace them, Utah and Colorado both seem somewhat unlikely to me. Stanford, Arizona and Oregon seem like the only real locks. The Pac 12 might cannibalize itself this year and have a real dearth of teams in the Tourney.
It's a stretch to characterize the conference "cannibalizing itself" when the bubble teams you mentioned have few to no non-conference wins of note. That said, I'd put the odds at 0% that only 3 Pac-12 teams make the tournament. Someone has to finish 4th (and 5th, etc.) in the conference, after all.

Reaction Score
Creme's bracketology has Utah, Colorado, and Washington State making the tournament. Washington State just beat Colorado 63-56.

Feel bad for UCLA having a short bench and a lot of injuries for the 2nd year in the row. Oregon State likely re-scheduled the make-up with Stanford to up their strength of schedule since they are on the bubble.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I don't see how Colorado is in. Beat nobody in OOC. Their win over UCLA is losing value by the week. After starting 2-0 in conference they have gone 1-6. It's just not a Tourney worthy resume. Utah seems pretty doubtful as well. Their best win is...Colorado?

Reaction Score
Wow. Crazy ending to the ASU-OSU game. Two-point game with 17 seconds left and Scott Reuck draws two technicals and gets ejected. Disagreed I guess with a call but a really crazy thing to do with the game on the line Taya Hansen hit six straight free throws and the Devils end up winning by 10.

Jade Loville scored 31 for the Devils and the ASU effort was outstanding. In the post game show Jeff Munn said there's a history of bad blood between the two programs and implied that it extended to the two coaches. In any event a head scratcher at the conclusion. Munn did indicate that earlier in the week Reuck had signed a contract extension so maybe he felt like celebrating?

Reaction Score
Agree that Colorado is a bubble team. Surprisingly, Utah is #17 Net and #28 Massey.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Creme's bracketology has Utah, Colorado, and Washington State making the tournament. Washington State just beat Colorado 63-56.

Feel bad for UCLA having a short bench and a lot of injuries for the 2nd year in the row. Oregon State likely re-scheduled the make-up with Stanford to up their strength of schedule since they are on the bubble.
Oregon State is at high risk of losing their next 5 games. Up next they have Arizona, Stanford, two Oregon games, and Stanford again. At that point they'd drop to 4-8 in conference play. In a weak year in the Pac 12, there's no way that's NCAA worthy IMO even if they win their other 3 games and finish 7-8.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I didn't remember this, but apparently Rueck received a double tech and was ejected in Tempe back in 2019. Playing the Devils is always like getting teeth pulled, I guess it's a bit more than he can handle sometimes.

Reaction Score
Last nights games pretty much according to form except for WSU winning at Colorado. And, I guess , Cal winning at USC. Oregon needs to get a road win at ASU Sunday. Finishing the season at WSU, at OSU, home v Stanford, at Utah and at Colorado may not be a pretty record in the end. WSU is looking like a tournament team again.

Reaction Score
Last nights games pretty much according to form except for WSU winning at Colorado. And, I guess , Cal winning at USC. Oregon needs to get a road win at ASU Sunday. Finishing the season at WSU, at OSU, home v Stanford, at Utah and at Colorado may not be a pretty record in the end. WSU is looking like a tournament team again.
At this point I just want Oregon to host some home games in March.

Reaction Score
Oregon State is at high risk of losing their next 5 games. Up next they have Arizona, Stanford, two Oregon games, and Stanford again. At that point they'd drop to 4-8 in conference play. In a weak year in the Pac 12, there's no way that's NCAA worthy IMO even if they win their other 3 games and finish 7-8.
Coming off an all Pac NCAA final, those top two teams are elite and I don't think anyone would be surprised to see both back in the final four.

As we go down the stretch it remains to be seen what the next level of teams do to their resume in order to impress the committee.

The fourth place Cougars winners of four in a row control their fate and with a win over either Stanford or Arizona will clearly be in the big dance. Even losing those two games I see WSU in the dance.

The Beavers have a brutal schedule down the stretch and after watching the coach's meltdown last night it's likely the Beavers will play themselves out of the tournament.

UCLA is very interesting and I think they control their own fate. They do need to upset Arizona and if you think I'm rooting for the Bruins in that game you are correct sir. The Bruins travel to Tempe on February 26th. Circle the date, the winner of that game will get to dance.

Reaction Score
Oregon State certainly on the bubble right now. However, with the next five (5) games vs ranked opponents presents opportunity that many other teams do not have at this point in the season. It's win or stay home.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Barring a miraculous comeback in LA, Stanford will finish this weekend 3 games in the loss column up on everybody else in the Pac. I'd say this race is over already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom