Pac 12 Conference Outlook | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pac 12 Conference Outlook

Reaction Score
Ducks and Beavers regain form and defend their home courts. Ducks by 28 and the result never in doubt. Kyei with 20 boards. Wow.
Beavers showed a lot of poise holding off UCLA... never folded. Great win after embarrassing loss to USC Friday. UCLA has to be happy gaining a split. Of note the Bruins came into the game shooting .2765 from 3 but shot 37% and 42% in these two road games.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
A Good day for both Oregon teams. Beers is the real deal: doesn't look or play like a freshman and imo is already one of the best posts in the conference. And speaking of posts, Oregon's Phillipina Kyei had 20 rebounds, 3 assists and at least two more blocks than the 4 officially listed. And that was against a really good player in her own right (Rayah Marshall). She's still very young (19) and new to the game, but her future looks very bright.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Didn't watch the game. Weird that Utah attempted more 3's (22-15) but had a HUGE advantage in FT attempts (20-4). Dawgs certainly did not get any home cooking in this one it would appear. But home court advantage has been non existent for them ever since Plum graduated.
Please keep us informed on the top players in the PAC 12 and how well they are playing. My cable provider dropped the PAC 12 a few years ago.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Please keep us informed on the top players in the PAC 12 and how well they are playing. My cable provider dropped the PAC 12 a few years ago.
I haven't been able to catch much Pac 12 action so far this year. Probably seen Stanford more than anybody else from the conference. I'm really impressed with Brink (when she's not sitting on the bench due to foul trouble).

Reaction Score
Oregon's 6'7" freshman Kennedy Basham finally saw the floor for 9 minutes after being out since the first game of the season. Looks and plays like a freshman but important as reinforcement for the short bench. 2 points, one board, one steal, one block, 3 fouls

Reaction Score
@Figurehead and @LoTrader should both Kelly and Scott be solely focused on retaining their players after the year ends? I mean the shear number of transfers that both programs have had over the past 2 years is astounding and frankly worrisome…
I can't speak on behalf of Lotrader and OSU so I won't there. As far as Oregon I think on some of the fans considered that we had alot of entitled princesses on the roster that did not know the definition of gym rat time. Team chemistry was horrid and I think we actually upgraded. I am not sure how many transferred out of Arizona last year but I heard Adia likes to intentionally flush the roster. I can't imagine UCLA having no changes in their mega roster after this year but we will see.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
@Figurehead and @LoTrader should both Kelly and Scott be solely focused on retaining their players after the year ends? I mean the shear number of transfers that both programs have had over the past 2 years is astounding and frankly worrisome…
From the games I saw today, you could certainly make a starting five out of Oregon-OSU transfers, possibly a full 8- or 10-player roster.

Reaction Score
Oregon's 6'7" freshman Kennedy Basham finally saw the floor for 9 minutes after being out since the first game of the season. Looks and plays like a freshman but important as reinforcement for the short bench. 2 points, one board, one steal, one block, 3 fouls
Do you think she will be better than Lydia Giomi, anyone?

Reaction Score
From the games I saw today, you could certainly make a starting five out of Oregon-OSU transfers, possibly a full 8- or 10-player roster.
As some coaches are saying about the NIL deals and portal transfers. Better adapt or die!

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
I haven't been able to catch much Pac 12 action so far this year. Probably seen Stanford more than anybody else from the conference. I'm really impressed with Brink (when she's not sitting on the bench due to foul trouble).
Brink had only one foul against ASU. She's making progress.

Reaction Score
Have to say I'm really impressed with Gina Conti of UCLA. Her game was overshadowed by the loss in Corvallis. Conti nearly brought the Bruins back on her own. She is a complete player.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Have to say I'm really impressed with Gina Conti of UCLA. Her game was overshadowed by the loss in Corvallis. Conti nearly brought the Bruins back on her own. She is a complete player.
Makes sense - she's a 6th year senior, so plenty of time to develop a well grounded game. Much like Abby Meyers at Maryland and Lou Lopez Senechal at UConn - all are grad transfers who lead their former teams in lesser leagues and are now really shining bright with top programs where they are surrounded by a lot more talent.

Reaction Score
I like the look of Arizona and think they may edge to the top of Tier 2. I know, the stats seem to say otherwise, but they have a veteran core with Reese Martinez Loville and Pellington, and a promising young big in Maya Nnaji. And Pellington seems to be doing her best to channel Aari MacDonald. If she can just keep her temper under control, she can be a game changer.

They looked really good torching Baylor.
And not so good against Stanford. I did wonder about the two flagrant fouls in the game, couldn't get any details.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I watched that game with high interest yesterday and the refs were certainly on notice about the physical play that Arizona deploys as they were blowing the whistle early and often. Heck, Haley Jones picked up 2 fouls at just 1 min 45 second into the game. All told, AZ was whistled 26 times to Stanford's 15. There were no flagrant fouls but Jada Loville did pick up a technical late in the 3rd quarter for standing over Belibi after a drive to the basket when Fran went down on the ground. It could have been called a foul on Lovelle as she sort of pushed Belibi down. Lovelle was very physical yesterday and she was called for 4 fouls but could have been charged with more. Despite Adia's comments about an unfair FT advantage for Stanford 34-9, those calls were all justified and not a bias by the refs.

Reaction Score
Actually, it looked like Lovable struck Belibi across the face with her forearm, knocking her goggles off before she went down. That could have passed for an unintentional foul had she not then stood over her taunting.

Reaction Score
I watched that game with high interest yesterday and the refs were certainly on notice about the physical play that Arizona deploys as they were blowing the whistle early and often. Heck, Haley Jones picked up 2 fouls at just 1 min 45 second into the game. All told, AZ was whistled 26 times to Stanford's 15. There were no flagrant fouls but Jada Loville did pick up a technical late in the 3rd quarter for standing over Belibi after a drive to the basket when Fran went down on the ground. It could have been called a foul on Lovelle as she sort of pushed Belibi down. Lovelle was very physical yesterday and she was called for 4 fouls but could have been charged with more. Despite Adia's comments about an unfair FT advantage for Stanford 34-9, those calls were all justified and not a bias by the refs.
Thx! The ESPN box score indicated (incorrectly) 2 flagrants on the kitties

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Thx! The ESPN box score indicated (incorrectly) 2 flagrants on the kitties
The Loville foul was ruled intentional (current terminology in NCAA WBB for what used to be flagrant 1). It was as Bone Dog described: a blow to the head knocking Belibi to the floor, as Loville was coming back down from a layup.

That was the only intentional foul called in the game.

P.S. I see the play by play available online at Women's Basketball vs Arizona on 1/2/2023 - Box Score - Stanford University Athletics calls it a tech, but the PA announcer at the game and the TV announcers both said it was an intentional. (The penalty is the same between the two, as far as I can see by skimming the rule book, so it doesn't really make much difference.)

Someone put a clip up on YouTube. It was scary to see at the time, but fortunately Fran was okay, no concussion, and was even able to come back in and play some more later on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ducks, Cats, and Buffs win. Utah suffers first defeat by 10 in Boulder. Arizona with wild comeback to win by 3. Ducks big third puts away AZ State.

Reaction Score
Colorado beats Utah 77 67.

Arizona beats Oregon State 72 69.

Crazy game. It was tied 53 53, Oregon State went on a 10-0 run, then Arizona went on a two minute 15-0 run. Good to see Cate Reese score 16 after only scoring 4 against Stanford.

Reaction Score
Colorado beats Utah 77 67.

Arizona beats Oregon State 72 69.

Crazy game. It was tied 53 53, Oregon State went on a 10-0 run, then Arizona went on a two minute 15-0 run. Good to see Cate Reese score 16 after only scoring 4 against Stanford.
Oregon State gave the game away. Led AZ for 36 of the 40 minutes, including a 12 point lead with less than 3.5 minutes to play. Then, as happens so often with Rueck's teams against quick and/or skilled defenders, they get bitten by the turnover bug. And, OSU didn't cover the 3 point shooters well, amid all the pressure and steals by AZ in the last 3 minutes. One OSU player other teams should really fear is
Reagan Beers...she is a bully beast inside on the block..Great hands, good foot work, finishes through hard contact, and super strong. AZ couldn't contain her very well, just like most teams that have played against her so far. If Timea Gardiner starts playing soon and lives up to
her very high billing, OSU will be among the elite down low.

Reaction Score
Oregon State gave the game away. Led AZ for 36 of the 40 minutes, including a 12 point lead with less than 3.5 minutes to play. Then, as happens so often with Rueck's teams against quick and/or skilled defenders, they get bitten by the turnover bug. And, OSU didn't cover the 3 point shooters well, amid all the pressure and steals by AZ in the last 3 minutes. One OSU player other teams should really fear is
Reagan Beers...she is a bully beast inside on the block..Great hands, good foot work, finishes through hard contact, and super strong. AZ couldn't contain her very well, just like most teams that have played against her so far. If Timea Gardiner starts playing soon and lives up to
I think OSU is already elite down low and having Gardiner back will make them even tougher. Its problem, as evidenced by going from 12 up to three down over the final three and a half minutes, is its weakness at the guard and wing positions. Neither Yeaney nor TVO are point guards. Lack of a skilled ball handler cost them. Yeaney is strong but not a skilled ball handler nor a very good outside shooter. TVO has great shooting skills but lacks the quickness and athleticism to defend and to create an open shot for herself.

The Beavers played extremely well for 37 minutes on the road on the backs of Beers, Mitrovic and Marotte but couldn’t close the deal. Arizona knew that OSU would try to get a shot for TVO at the end. I think Rueck might have gone with someone else (Aaron or Marotte) an open 3-point attempt.

Reaction Score
One should ask Rueck what are time outs are for? I keep hearing how Timea will take the college basketball world by storm in a few weeks. I am looking forward to it.

Reaction Score
One should ask Rueck what are time outs are for? I keep hearing how Timea will take the college basketball world by storm in a few weeks. I am looking forward to it.
Yes, questioning Rueck's use of timeouts in this game is common by a number of beaver and non-beaver fans. I have no special knowledge or incite on when or how college basketball coaches should use their timeouts....but it did seem strange.

As for Timea, her final average ranking across the recruiting ranking services/gurus was #5 for the class of 2022.

espnW -- #6 (oddly, she held steady at #4 by espn for 2 years, only to be dropped by them to #6 in their very final ranking of 2022 players.)
ASGR -- #3
PGH -- #8
BlueStar -- #3
ProspectsNation -- #5 (1 of only 5 five-stars)

So, as a top 5 recruit, that puts her in some pretty exclusive company. One would naturally have pretty high expectations, although she has yet to even play a second of a college basketball game. If she plays anywhere near the level of several other recent top 5, top 10 or even top 15 recruits who are already playing very well, it could be something very special for Oregon State and its fans. Finally, I heard yesterday that her injury is/was not basketball related, whatever that means, and she may see her first official action against Washington State in less than 2 weeks.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think OSU is already elite down low and having Gardiner back will make them even tougher. Its problem, as evidenced by going from 12 up to three down over the final three and a half minutes, is its weakness at the guard and wing positions. Neither Yeaney nor TVO are point guards. Lack of a skilled ball handler cost them. Yeaney is strong but not a skilled ball handler nor a very good outside shooter. TVO has great shooting skills but lacks the quickness and athleticism to defend and to create an open shot for herself.

The Beavers played extremely well for 37 minutes on the road on the backs of Beers, Mitrovic and Marotte but couldn’t close the deal. Arizona knew that OSU would try to get a shot for TVO at the end. I think Rueck might have gone with someone else (Aaron or Marotte) an open 3-point attempt.
I can't speak to their greater issues because this was the only game I've seen. But Beers, Mitrovic and Marotte - wow. Very tough to defend.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Another big double double for Beers today. Is the national media talking about her at all? Definitely one of the most productive freshmen in the country. Beavs get a win at Tempe, something that's been hard for them to come by for years. Of course ASU is probably the worst team in the conference. CTT bailed out just in time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom