PAC 12 conference &. Network | Page 2 | The Boneyard

PAC 12 conference &. Network

Reaction Score
Paul Finebaum nails it!

Finebaum joined the Sports Media Podcast to discuss his thoughts on the Pac-12 saying, “I would want out. I would not want to be part of the Pac-12 anymore because I think the future is bleak.”

That's an understatement.

NCAA Football: San Diego State at Utah Pac-12 logo

Reaction Score

I don't know how Oregon will be this year but I like the idea

Ducks swimming toward Big 12?

....rumors have started that the Big 12 is in serious talks with as many as six Pac-12 universities — Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oregon, Utah and Washington.

Reaction Score
Paul Finebaum nails it!

Finebaum joined the Sports Media Podcast to discuss his thoughts on the Pac-12 saying, “I would want out. I would not want to be part of the Pac-12 anymore because I think the future is bleak.”

That's an understatement.

NCAA Football: San Diego State at Utah Pac-12 logo
Well, he thinks the future is bleak for everybody except Alabama.

Reaction Score
Ducks swimming toward Big 12?

....rumors have started that the Big 12 is in serious talks with as many as six Pac-12 universities — Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oregon, Utah and Washington.
That article published July 2022…

Reaction Score
That article published July 2022…
HuskyNan posted Big 12 interest in Uconn indicating that the Big 12 is still open for business.:)

I'm guessing Phil Knight University will not tolerate the pathetic media deal that is still struggling to a resolution

Reaction Score
Hot off the presses

If the Phoenix Mercury are a dumpster fire the Pac-12 is a rolling train wreck....10 days and counting.

"Like it is for Colorado and Arizona, striking a mega television contract is the only scenario that can keep Oregon and Washington in the Pac-12. In a world where conference alignment is spurred by money, there’s little that can stop the exit of the two outside huge payout."

Does anyone believe the current Pac-12 media deal negotiations will yield anything other than a teeny media deal? Is there anyone who believes it will be a huge payout?

"The Buffaloes were in the Big 12 from 1996 to 2010, and could be on their way back."

10 days and counting....

The Mercury News

"Without clarity on the existential crisis, the preseason football media event on July 21 could turn into a circus."

The Pac-12 Conference is facing a critical juncture as it approaches its media day on July 21. This is widely regarded as the deadline for a new media deal. With only two weeks left until the event, the conference is still without a new media rights partner.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
That's reminiscent of the rally that Lord John Whorfin had in Buckaroo Banzai:

Whorfin: Where are we going?

Crowd: Planet 10!

Whorfin: When are we going?

Crowd: Real soon!

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

Will @azfan's head explode if this happens? I've kept quiet in weighing in on this mid-stream for several reasons, but suffice to say, this aligns with what John Canzano has been saying in his substack for months now, and he's about as well sourced as any reporter who covers the Pac. There may very well be an apt Mark Twain quote that applies here...

Reaction Score

Will @azfan's head explode if this happens? I've kept quiet in weighing in on this mid-stream for several reasons, but suffice to say, this aligns with what John Canzano has been saying in his substack for months now, and he's about as well sourced as any reporter who covers the Pac. There may very well be an apt Mark Twain quote that applies here...
:)

Looks like announcement.......August?

"The longer the talks have dragged on, the more speculation has swirled that schools like Colorado and Arizona, known to be expansion targets for the Big 12, might defect."

Beyond applicable Mark Twain quotes I can think of a number from both The Bard and HL Mencken

Reaction Score
I supposed there might be some analysis that argues for delay in the right's deal; there's a perspective that a 10 team conference may have more value than a 16 team conference. ( I am skeptical of that line of analysis)I do believe it's a red herring to say that there are late arriving bidders to the party but who knows PT Barnum had a comment on point.....

Let us set up on the ground and tell sad stories....

Reaction Score

"Is streaming games a terrible idea?​

It’s not clear right now what traditional broadcast networks might be airing PAC-12 games under the new game, but the streaming partner is almost certainly Apple or Amazon.

While Apple and Amazon both have deep pockets and can pay anything, taking a bigger check to be on streaming over a smaller one to remain on traditional TV might prove to be a fatal mistake.

Your casual college football fan can hop on ESPN late at night and catch some PAC-12 action. There’s no extra fees or anything outside of what a person might pay for cable.

Will people really pay a fee to Amazon or Apple to watch Oregon State and Washington State play? I’m very skeptical."

I am too

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score

"Is streaming games a terrible idea?​

It’s not clear right now what traditional broadcast networks might be airing PAC-12 games under the new game, but the streaming partner is almost certainly Apple or Amazon.

While Apple and Amazon both have deep pockets and can pay anything, taking a bigger check to be on streaming over a smaller one to remain on traditional TV might prove to be a fatal mistake.

Your casual college football fan can hop on ESPN late at night and catch some PAC-12 action. There’s no extra fees or anything outside of what a person might pay for cable.

Will people really pay a fee to Amazon or Apple to watch Oregon State and Washington State play? I’m very skeptical."

I am too
170 million Americans subscribe to Amazon Prime - that's nearly 100 million more than have ESPN via cable subscriptions (approx. 75 million and dropping by several million per year). Apple+ has 25 million and counting. Streaming isn't just the future but it's the present, and the Pac is well position to partner with either Amazon or Apple because they already handle production through the Pac-12 Networks, which is the single biggest impediment to streamers taking on more live sports.

The main question at this stage is if the money is there. All of the current media deals are overpriced given the rapid demise of pay TV and network distribution, and every single one of those deals would be for less if negotiated today. I'll be really curious to see how the Pac-12 secures a media deal that matches the Big 12 and the ACC, but I am convinced that streaming distribution is the trend all future conference media deals will follow.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
'll be really curious to see how the Pac-12 secures a media deal that matches the Big 12 and the ACC, but I am convinced that streaming distribution is the trend all future conference media deals will follow.
The future of distribution I think at this point is still highly uncertain. I think the point made by Hookstead regarding user experience and cost maybe more valid for our generation then young consumers of sports and the generation following.

The point about eyeballs by streaming on Oregon State versus Washington State in Hookstead's example I think is provocative at least and instructive at best

Streaming certainly has generated significant challenges for cable distribution so how that impacts sport distribution will clearly impact the dollars that flow to these programs and conferences.

The movement away from cable particularly ESPN streaming is going to fragment the market and one wonders what impact if any that will have on college football.

On the issue of streaming and fragmenting my experience with WNBA viewing with games broadcast on Prime Video (tonight) is well as twitter, ion, cbssn, and occasionally ABC and CBS is one of irritation and confusion leading the apathy.

The streaming experience on Amazon Prime for example is a pale comparison to ESPN or ABC. Insufficient resources are invested by Prime in production and quality announcing.

Reaction Score
Speaking of wbb for a change, do The Troggans and UCLANS get the adios mofo whistles this year as they exit? I could see the conference not wanting them to depart with a conference crown - and UCLA has a shot

Reaction Score
Speaking of wbb for a change, do The Troggans and UCLANS get the adios mofo whistles this year as they exit? I could see the conference not wanting them to depart with a conference crown - and UCLA has a shot
As a UCLA fan across several sports, I'll just say that anticipation of the varied opposing fan reactions in different venues is interesting. Are we looked at as traitors? Lucky bastards? No idea what's coming. Would love to hear from fans of other schools who "jumped ship" and would care to recount the experience.

Also, UCLA does look pretty good this year. The vaunted 2022 class all got one year older and more experienced. Charisma Osborne decided to stick for another year, Angela Dugalic has been cleared to play, and Lauren Betts transferred in. I'm glad I have season seats and get to watch the home games, at least.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
170 million Americans subscribe to Amazon Prime - that's nearly 100 million more than have ESPN via cable subscriptions (approx. 75 million and dropping by several million per year). Apple+ has 25 million and counting. Streaming isn't just the future but it's the present, and the Pac is well position to partner with either Amazon or Apple because they already handle production through the Pac-12 Networks, which is the single biggest impediment to streamers taking on more live sports.

The main question at this stage is if the money is there. All of the current media deals are overpriced given the rapid demise of pay TV and network distribution, and every single one of those deals would be for less if negotiated today. I'll be really curious to see how the Pac-12 secures a media deal that matches the Big 12 and the ACC, but I am convinced that streaming distribution is the trend all future conference media deals will follow.
I absolutely agree with the bolded, although possibly not as you meant it.

Amazon and Apple didn't get to be trillion-dollar businesses by making bad decisions. Neither of them will put tens or hundreds of millions of dollars into the PAC without seeing a solid business plan. If one of them has really bought (or is buying) a 5- or 10-year deal to broadcast the PAC, it likely means that they have a solid plan to be around well into the future.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Thanks for the great comments, y'all! Batching and in-lining my responses for efficiency's sake.

The movement away from cable particularly ESPN streaming is going to fragment the market and one wonders what impact if any that will have on college football.
Yes, and this could cut in two directions at once. On the one hand, movement away from Cable eliminates the phenomenon whereby ESPN was subsidized by tens of millions of non-sports fans forced to donate ~$6 per month to it.

On the issue of streaming and fragmenting my experience with WNBA viewing with games broadcast on Prime Video (tonight) is well as twitter, ion, cbssn, and occasionally ABC and CBS is one of irritation and confusion leading the apathy.
On the other hand, fragmentation means that live events that get eyeballs become comparatively more valuable than ever. So far, college football has been that. If it continues, even if the absolute viewership declines, the relative viewership makes college football telecasts exceedingly valuable for advertisers trying to reach wide cross-sections. So I can see this going in both directions at once.

The streaming experience on Amazon Prime for example is a pale comparison to ESPN or ABC. Insufficient resources are invested by Prime in production and quality announcing.
I agree, but this is why the Pac-1X has such an edge here - they bring production and announcing with them. And I've been genuinely impressed by both the production values and announcing of the Pac-12 Networks. For all the flaws it it, that was the one thing it did well.

The main question at this stage is if the money is there.

Amazon and Apple didn't get to be trillion-dollar businesses by making bad decisions. Neither of them will put tens or hundreds of millions of dollars into the PAC without seeing a solid business plan. If one of them has really bought (or is buying) a 5- or 10-year deal to broadcast the PAC, it likely means that they have a solid plan to be around well into the future.
That was actually exactly how I meant it! We are of the same mind - I am just not sure the streamers value Pac-12 content highly enough quite yet. All that said, the timing of the writers/actors' strike is helpful to their negotiations, because it's a stark reminder that streamers need ever-refreshing content, and college sports is nothing if not endless hours of new, live content.

If I had to guess, and I could be wrong, my bet is either they'll announce an NBC Sports/Peacock linear/streaming combo or else a combo of ESPN linear and ESPN+ plus either Prime or Apple TV+. Both ESPN and NBC will value that their streaming platforms won't be responsible for production, and Prime and Apple TV+ don't even have that capacity. And Iger is desperate to find ways to get people to sign up for ESPN+.

Reaction Score

They got to be this size by overcoming bad decisions not avoiding them.

Like all corporations these two media giants have made many mistakes. There is success is based upon willing to take a number of risky chances, admit when they make a mistake, then exit that business.

Amazon

Crucible
Fire Phone
Pets.com
Kozmo.com
Askville.com
Wallet

The first to admit his business isn’t perfect, Bezos’ forthcoming attitude is refreshingly honest. Instead of trying to sweep failure under the rug or pretend it didn’t happen, he faces challenges head-on.

“We’ve had critics be right before, and we changed,” Bezos said in the 2018 interview with Dopfner. “We have made mistakes. And you know, I can go through a long list.”

Apple
Apple III
Airphone
IPhone batteries
Antennagate
G4 Cube
Macintosh TV
Apple Music

Pac 12..... Is it Apple III or iPhone 14

Anyone watch the two WNBA games last night on Prime? Oy.

Counting the days til August......D-Day!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
They got to be this size by overcoming bad decisions not avoiding them.

Like all corporations these two media giants have made many mistakes. There is success is based upon willing to take a number of risky chances, admit when they make a mistake, then exit that business.

Amazon

Crucible
Fire Phone
Pets.com
Kozmo.com
Askville.com
Wallet

The first to admit his business isn’t perfect, Bezos’ forthcoming attitude is refreshingly honest. Instead of trying to sweep failure under the rug or pretend it didn’t happen, he faces challenges head-on.

“We’ve had critics be right before, and we changed,” Bezos said in the 2018 interview with Dopfner. “We have made mistakes. And you know, I can go through a long list.”

Apple
Apple III
Airphone
IPhone batteries
Antennagate
G4 Cube
Macintosh TV
Apple Music

Pac 12..... Is it Apple III or iPhone 14

Anyone watch the two WNBA games last night on Prime? Oy.

Counting the days til August......D-Day!
To me there’s a difference between bad and risky, but you’re absolutely right that they’ve both made some clunkers. As Henry Ford said, “Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.”

I still think that if one of them ponies up major cash for the PAC, that they know something positive that we don’t.

I watch games on Prime. I watch most on delay, though, and find that easier on the WNBA app.

Reaction Score
Latest update

"Is this the end of the Pac-12 being considered a top college football conference? It looks like there's one foot in the grave already, and we're getting close to the other one following suit."

The CW? . The power 4 conferences are certainly watching this with amusement.

Reaction Score
And so ....it begins .....to end

"Colorado is in deep discussions about a potential move to the Big 12, sources told ESPN, with a decision on the move coming as early as a public board meeting on Thursday.

Colorado's board held an executive board session on Wednesday to discuss the potential move, according to sources. When that completed, the corresponding move for a public meeting to hold a potential vote on the league change came moments after. The school announced a "special board meeting."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom