Our Ceiling | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Our Ceiling

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I don’t think RJ failed he played a solid game but if he’s not shooting it well we’re in trouble. Hawkins isn’t a fail either not enough minutes to be fair. The rest minus the incompletes yep. Absolutely Fs next to Polley and Gaff.

Still waiting for that “depth” versus good teams. For now we’ve run short of players who can impact and help close.
RJ has saved our butts quite a few times this year. The problem is that he even has to save our butts . He shouldn’t have to. RJ is playing to his potential. He’s maxed out, and he is becoming increasingly inefficient in shot making because he is having to do too much. We are not going to get anymore out of RJ than he’s already given. He’s fully realized as a player. Time for others to step up or RJ’s shot ineffiency will continue

Reaction Score
RJ has saved our butts quite a few times this year. The problem is that he even has to save our butts . He shouldn’t have to. RJ is playing to his potential. He’s maxed out, and he is becoming increasingly inefficient in shot making because he is having to do too much. We are not going to get anymore out of RJ than he’s already given. He’s fully realized as a player. Time for others to step up or RJ’s shot ineffiency will continue
We were saying that since earlier in the season, it's just way too much of a burden being put on Cole. It's why it was so important to play Diggins in the cupcake games and to to maybe try and develop Jackson more as a point forward. Cole has been asked all season to basically play the entire game as our only point guard, the only guy trusted with the ball, the guy who takes all the big shots, and the guy stopping the ball on defense.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I don’t think RJ failed he played a solid game but if he’s not shooting it well we’re in trouble. Hawkins isn’t a fail either not enough minutes to be fair. The rest minus the incompletes yep. Absolutely Fs next to Polley and Gaff.

Still waiting for that “depth” versus good teams. For now we’ve run short of players who can impact and help close.
I hear you Mau and there were lots of dynamics with the rest of the team which impacted RJ's performance but he was 5-19. The standard I failed him for in my previous post was one that gets us to a final four. He has to play at a really high level and 5-19 isn't that level for me.

As for Hawkins, I can see him as an INC. He needs to look for his offense more though. Creating more opportunities will be a sign of his growth.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
If...

• RJ can continue to perform at this level against high major talent trying to take him away
  • AJ does more rebounding and pushing tempo and less forcing passes that aren’t there and takes the shots the defense gives him.
  • Adama learns to read a double team early and find the open man
  • Akok becomes more aggressive with his offense while on the floor.
  • Gaffney plays tougher with the ball in his hands and stops turning the ball over.
  • Polley can be more 37% nightly and less 10%, 50%, 10%, 50%.
  • Hawk starts playing like an almost sophomore and with confidence.
  • Martin can eliminate his yips around the rim.
  • Zay can stay out of foul trouble while staying aggressive and making the open 3.
Then...this can be a final four team. Watching the IFs is what makes it fun.
Vs SHU:
RJ-fail. A good game, but to reach our ceiling he has to be consistently great. He was inefficient, but still played smart and tough. We need all 3.
AJ-Pass+. AJ is the brightest spot on the season so far. He’s getting better and better. I’d like to see him look to finish more if he gets within 5 feet of the basket. The refs were whistle happy during the Kadary one man run. I thought AJ driving was the antedote. Surprised he didn’t get the whistle when the Big O got him down the stretch.
Adama- incomplete. We worked around his issue by running more pick and roll with RJ. I would have liked to force the issue with him more in the post. His two cheap ones changed the game.
Akok-pass. He took the shots when they were there, I want to run more sets with him as the extra pass.
Gaff-capital F fail. Concerning.
Polley-certainly a good Polley game but this is about consistency, let’s see what he does next. We rarely lose good polley games, that’s why this one stings so much. Kadary eating our lunch for 25% of the game erased great shooting.
Hawk-fail. starting to feel like he won’t be ready until next year.
Martin-1 yip. Surprised we didn’t see more of him. Fail for lack of attempts.
Zay-tough matchup for him. Did not play his best.

The bottom line: individually there’s still a lot of potential in this team and with most of the question marks not going our way we took the best shot of a top 25 team on the road and almost won. I know were all sick of moral victories but this result reflects what we are: a 20-30 team in the country.

Unfortunately there’s a lot of doubt now that we’ll fix our issue at reserve PG which makes us a fundamentally flawed team. I was a diggins must play guy early in the season but watching hawk struggle makes me think sool isn’t ready either. Our best option right now is to let AJ initiate the offense off the dribble when Gaff is in.

@UConnStats you got a +/- on Gaff yesterday?

Reaction Score
Fringe top-25.

We need to win at least 1 game in the tournament or I'm going to be pretty pissed but I'd give him another season. If we don't have a tourney win in 5 years we'll need a new coach, period.

Can't imagine we won't get a couple wins with the talent we have coming in.

Reaction Score
If stay a top 28 team I'll take it...keeps you at 7 seed or above. Hopefully push way up to top 20 and a 5 seed.

To stay a top 28 team need to win some upcoming games against likely / close ncaa tourney teams (Nova, Hall, Prov, Xavier, Creighton, SJU, Marquette).... are 1-2 so far. The good news is that Lunardi currently has 8 BE teams in the tourney so we'll have lots of chances for quality wins.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Gaffney was +4 in 11 minutes yesterday, 2nd on team behind Whaley (+6 in 23 minutes)
9 points, 4 fouls, 3 rebounds, in 33 minutes and that's not even with the eye test

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We've had numerous threads on how Diggins should take Gaffney's minutes or at least half of Gaffney's minutes, but if Whaley isn't playing like the Defensive Player of the Year he was, what does he bring?

1 three-pointer every other game? You can't dump it into him down low to get a bucket so our offense is perimeter orientated and easy to defend when he's at the 5. He's regressed. Either he has to improve or Hurley needs to have someone down low who can get a bucket.
Whaley doesn't even try to faceup and hit a midrange jumper anymore.

Reaction Score
9 points, 4 fouls, 3 rebounds, in 33 minutes and that's not even with the eye test
Huh? Not sure if you were trying to reply to a different post

Edit: I see you were combining Gaffney and Whaley's stats now

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc