OTE, Ollie's Team, Signs first 2 players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OTE, Ollie's Team, Signs first 2 players

Reaction Score
I don't recall reading that future NBA earnings were potentially a revenue source for this league. Anyone got a source on that? I think what's more likely is potential current income from image and likeness while in the league would be a source of revenue.

Reaction Score
I have no idea if KO is going to be successful, but he’s in an unique position to thumb his nose at Mark Emmert and you do have to love him for that.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I don't recall reading that future NBA earnings were potentially a revenue source for this league. Anyone got a source on that? I think what's more likely is potential current income from image and likeness while in the league would be a source of revenue.
My initial thought is who cares about their image or likeness? I for one have absolutely zero desire to watch this league, regardless of who runs it. It's basically minor league basketball playing the top high school & prep school teams. There's no connection for me to give a . Even if there was a CT team I wouldn't care. I expect there will be a lot of people with similar sentiments, so they're going to need to find a stronger revenue stream than I&L. A % of future earnings makes the most sense for the stability of the league, but there will be a few years with none of that revenue while they wait for the first player(s) to get drafted. If a player finds they give back more in the long run than they made, that could be the end. Time will tell.

Reaction Score

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I didn't mean that to sound like I&L would be the only source of revenue, just one. Whether you care or not some of these kids have followings.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I guess the visibility they do or don't get will determine if their popularity continues. There's some star power being one of the best high school players in the country, especially with fanbases that hope you come to their school. I wonder what happens when you join this league.
Good point about me caring vs followings. I'm a different beast in that I only follow UConn people and that's for school news. I don't give a rat's arse what anyone else has to say on Twitter, especially political types, actors & pro athletes, and clearly that puts me in a bit of a minority.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Shocked, absolutely shocked that UConn fans can’t let this go and sound like bitter babies. Thanks for the national championship, coach.

someone better get word to Ray that the Boneyard disapproves of his support for this endeavor.
Lol it’s funny cuz it appears KO already anticipated those posters’ reactions with his message

Let this man live already

Reaction Score
Shocked, absolutely shocked that UConn fans can’t let this go and sound like bitter babies. Thanks for the national championship, coach.

someone better get word to Ray that the Boneyard disapproves of his support for this endeavor.
Exactly. It’s really kind of sad and pathetic. He got us a ring. That means something.

Reaction Score
Exactly. It’s really kind of sad and pathetic. He got us a ring. That means something.
I root for him to succeed. As a motivator, cheerleader, father figure etc who knows the NBA, he can bring a ton of value to these kids. Running a big time college program with all the demands and requirements off the court was clearly not a good fit for him. This looks to be a much better fit, hopefully its given him his joy and purpose back. I make my KO jokes but I’d love to see him succeed in this and future roles.

Reaction Score
I root for him to succeed. As a motivator, cheerleader, father figure etc who knows the NBA, he can bring a ton of value to these kids. Running a big time college program with all the demands and requirements off the court was clearly not a good fit for him. This looks to be a much better fit, hopefully its given him his joy and purpose back. I make my KO jokes but I’d love to see him succeed in this and future roles.
I think most rational and fair minded fans feel the same. It’s the Taliban faction that won’t let it go.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score

I’m not bitter about anything I’m making fun of a dude who coached and recruited more with platitudes than anything else, especially in his last few years with the program.

Being happy he delivered us a chip and being able to rib his style can exist together, they aren’t mutually exclusive.

Reaction Score
I’m not bitter about anything I’m making fun of a dude who coached and recruited more with platitudes than anything else, especially in his last few years with the program.

Being happy he delivered us a chip and being able to rib his style can exist together, they aren’t mutually exclusive.
But the point is you can't let it go, just move on and ignore him instead of being a clown

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Big pickup for OTE.

This idea sounded a half baked to me, but maybe it will take off. Do they know who they will play? Last I heard it was "a league" of one team.

NIL makes an interesting wrinkle. What enhances NIL more being in league OTE, or playing for a DI school?

Reaction Score
This model is so dumb because once it produces a windfall it will die. Can you imagine the PR for this league when they inevitably end up in a dispute with a player that doesn't want to pony over millions because KO once took him on a bus trip to play a prep school?
Actually they have a similar plan in MLB and it is working out for the investors.
Fernando Tatís Jr. was 18 years old, just a low-level prospect from the Dominican Republic trying to work his way up in the San Diego Padres farm system, when he made a financial deal that would impact his entire baseball career. And it wasn’t with the Padres.

Tatís signed a contract with Big League Advance, an unusual investment fund that pays minor-league players money up front in exchange for a share of their future MLB earnings.

Tatís, now 22 and widely viewed as one of the sport’s best young stars, today knows what those earnings will be. He agreed to a record-setting 14-year contract with the Padres on Wednesday night worth an eye-popping $340 million, the third-highest total in MLB history.

His new contract also creates a significant obligation for Tatís: to pay a sizable chunk of his new bounty—perhaps close to $30 million—to Big League Advance.

Tatís’s arrangement is the most high-profile payday yet for Big League Advance and the unorthodox financial instrument it has created.

Reaction Score
Actually they have a similar plan in MLB and it is working out for the investors.
Fernando Tatís Jr. was 18 years old, just a low-level prospect from the Dominican Republic trying to work his way up in the San Diego Padres farm system, when he made a financial deal that would impact his entire baseball career. And it wasn’t with the Padres.

Tatís signed a contract with Big League Advance, an unusual investment fund that pays minor-league players money up front in exchange for a share of their future MLB earnings.

Tatís, now 22 and widely viewed as one of the sport’s best young stars, today knows what those earnings will be. He agreed to a record-setting 14-year contract with the Padres on Wednesday night worth an eye-popping $340 million, the third-highest total in MLB history.

His new contract also creates a significant obligation for Tatís: to pay a sizable chunk of his new bounty—perhaps close to $30 million—to Big League Advance.

Tatís’s arrangement is the most high-profile payday yet for Big League Advance and the unorthodox financial instrument it has created.
Interesting, thanks for the share. It surprises me that he opted to go that route, especially since his dad had a successful MLB career.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I get it for the minors guys.

But Tatis doing it surprised me since his dad played in the big leagues for a while and made some good money.

Reaction Score
This idea sounded a half baked to me, but maybe it will take off. Do they know who they will play? Last I heard it was "a league" of one team.

NIL makes an interesting wrinkle. What enhances NIL more being in league OTE, or playing for a DI school?
I have no idea if OTE is actually viable. Getting a five star recruit is obviously good for them. I don’t know if the model has any chance to work, though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom