OT: Your go to Hot Dogs ? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Your go to Hot Dogs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have not, but hope to someday.

Let's do it. We will find a reason, it's time. Dove can't come along though he thinks I was in love with that hot dog-smacked chick because I like being pelted, that thought alone helps me realize he can stay away!:confused:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Let's do it. We will find a reason, it's time. Dove can't come along though he thinks I was in love with that hot dog-smacked chick because I like being pelted, that thought alone helps me realize he can stay away!:confused:
Is Brimah invited?

Reaction Score

Dove is clearly not on the ol' Mau powerpoint distribution list!

Reaction Score
Dove is clearly not on the ol' Mau powerpoint distribution list!

I like Dove no doubt, great guy. Not sure it may have been the satin pants or now, the hot dogs on the face (not knowing what I like about that). But in all reality, it would be great to see him and so many others again sometime. For now though you, 8893 and AW may be a foursome who could bring home a story or 2.;)

Reaction Score
Hey any of you guys near Glastonbury today? I brought a customer to lunch at Bricco's this afternoon, the bartender is awesome and I mean awesome in every which way. One of the finest I've seen so go have a quick Peroni before 5-6 hopefully she's still there.;)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I like Dove no doubt, great guy. Not sure it may have been the satin pants or now, the hot dogs on the face (not knowing what I like about that). But in all reality, it would be great to see him and so many others again sometime. For now though you, 8893 and AW may be a foursome who could bring home a story or 2.;)
For the record, I do golf poorly, but I love it, so there's sure to be at least a sub-plot there.

Reaction Score
For the record, I do golf poorly, but I love it, so there's sure to be at least a sub-plot there.

Although I said "foursome" golf does not have to be part of it but up to you guys. It could just be a "drinking" afternoon with some great conversation LOL I love to golf as you know but I do want to meet you guys and have a few no doubt.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To expand that is a stick it in and get a reading thermometer for direct use in meats. It's not a remote . Stick , read , take out.

For slow cooking and smoking is when I use remotes. Because you don't want to open up the cookers. And I have a pair . one sits in the meat measuring temp and one sits on the cooking area measuring temp of smoker.
Different kind of deal.

Thermapen perfect for your needs.

I have a bunch of stick in thermometers but they are beef, pork, poultry and just tell me when I get to "cooked enough not to kill me" and "burned to hell". It's a red range, like a large redline.
Wife and daughter both prefer medium rare to the rare side, and I'm more medium. Unless my wife brings me an uber thick steak I can usually nail it. Burgers are harder to hit medium rare consistently.

Hot Dogs are grilled, natural casing from the deli. I like them well cooked. I like the buns very lightly toasted on the grill. Topping is either ketchup or chili (mustard is to me, what ketchup is to you...I'd barf if I had to eat it). I made a lot of chili dogs at DQ in Manchester, CT during high school. I really wish I could buy their hot dog chili. I hate chili with big onion chunks in it.

Reaction Score
Fred's Shanty in NL. Fred sold it some years back, so it may be just the Shanty now. He used to use Rosselor's (?) hot dogs.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Over the indirect (225 deg) I go 97 degrees, flip it.... hit 116 Degrees and then sear on hopefully close to 1000 degree short time per side. Perfect every time. I haven ruined a steak in years.

@August_West , I did this exact method with the Thermapen last night and it came out as perfect as can be (in between medium rare and medium, which is exactly what I prefer).

One question though: When you are going from the 116 degrees (after the flip) to the short sear, do you take the steak off while the grill cranks up to high, or do you leave it on? I left it on, but the side that was facing down while going from indirect medium to direct high didn't really get seared. The internal temp was getting too high to leave it longer, so I flipped and the other side came out perfectly seared because it went right on the high heat instead.

August_West

Reaction Score
@August_West , I did this exact method with the Thermapen last night and it came out as perfect as can be (in between medium rare and medium, which is exactly what I prefer).

One question though: When you are going from the 116 degrees (after the flip) to the short sear, do you take the steak off while the grill cranks up to high, or do you leave it on? I left it on, but the side that was facing down while going from indirect medium to direct high didn't really get seared. The internal temp was getting too high to leave it longer, so I flipped and the other side came out perfectly seared because it went right on the high heat instead.

You using 2 zone cooking? While one side of grill is low for initial cook the other side should be firing up to nuclear levels.

You can take it off, but avoid it if you can. Try adjusting and maybe going to sear at 114-115. It may be that your hot side wasn't quite hot enough. Hot enough for a sear obviously, but not for the real quick sear.Gas grill? I do steaks on a Webber kettle most of the time because on one side of the grill I have charcoal stacked pretty close to the grate and it is HOT. It can be accomplished in a good gas grill though, Now that your technique is down minor adjustments to methods as it pertains to your own equipment are in order. Nice thing is you will still never ruin a steak, you will just under sear a side as you find the balance.
Glad it worked out. Thermapen for the win.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You using 2 zone cooking? While one side of grill is low for initial cook the other side should be firing up to nuclear levels.

You can take it off, but avoid it if you can. Try adjusting and maybe going to sear at 114-115. It may be that your hot side wasn't quite hot enough. Hot enough for a sear obviously, but not for the real quick sear.Gas grill? I do steaks on a Webber kettle most of the time because on one side of the grill I have charcoal stacked pretty close to the grate and it is HOT. It can be accomplished in a good gas grill though, Now that your technique is down minor adjustments to methods as it pertains to your own equipment are in order. Nice thing is you will still never ruin a steak, you will just under sear a side as you find the balance.
Glad it worked out. Thermapen for the win.
Yes gas grill with three burners and "sear station," but I had to compromise the 2 zone because I was cooking a bunch of other stuff at the same time, including steak tips, really thick boneless chicken breasts and grilled zucchini, so that was probably the problem; i.e., I couldn't get the hot side hot enough, quickly enough, for the first sear.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Yes gas grill with three burners and "sear station," but I had to compromise the 2 zone because I was cooking a bunch of other stuff at the same time, including steak tips, really thick boneless chicken breasts and grilled zucchini, so that was probably the problem; i.e., I couldn't get the hot side hot enough, quickly enough, for the first sear.
1) gas grills are for sissies.
2) Don't overlook the bun warmer rack in back for indirect cooking in a gas grill. I use it all of the time when I'm cooking on gas (at someone else's house, because weber kettles are the only grill you will ever need)

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
1) gas grills are for sissies.
2) Don't overlook the bun warmer rack in back for indirect cooking in a gas grill. I use it all of the time when I'm cooking on gas (at someone else's house, because weber kettles are the only grill you will ever need)
Or you can have both and use each when the situation is right :)

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

I pull out my tailgating grill if i ever need gas. It's rare. The fact my tailgating grill can also double as 2 burners makes it even better.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have both. House came with two Weber kettles, but I never use them. I admit that steaks taste better cooked over charcoal, and I admit that I'm too lazy to deal with it. I'm gas 100% of the time; for the beach I even have the Weber Baby-Q, which runs off the gas cartridges used for welding torches.

August_West

Reaction Score

yeah. I mean if I was only allowed one cooking device in the whole world it would be a weber kettle (if I was budget conscious) or a big green egg (if I wasn't)......

.....................but I have a gas grill (2 in fact) they are both low end models but I use them both a lot. When I want a quick burger or hot dog on a weeknight and dont feel like messing with charcoal they come in handy. Also come in handy for everything you want to do on the side (corn, vegetables, hot dogs, whatever) while attending to your main course on the charcoal or smoker. The side burner also comes in handy for boiling water for whatever you need it for...etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duke79

Top Bottom