OT: Yoga | The Boneyard

OT: Yoga

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ok, I'll admit I've been curious for at least a few years but afraid to check it out because every time I researched it there were so many options that I felt at sea and that it would be too uncomfortable to start now.

As we know, our new coach is apparently a fairly recent convert and Some Guy asked him about it yesterday at the presser.

I run daily and I love it, but I do very little strength/core stuff and I know I should do more. My CrossFit friends keep on me to try that, but I know that's not for me. I've also been curious about Pilates, but I have pretty much the same apprehension that I have with yoga, i.e., too many options and too awkward to start now.

So...any Yarders do yoga? What would you recommend for an active 50-something guy to start?

Reaction Score
It's fine. Definitely good for balance for older folks.

The 2 strength coaches I work with are pretty insistent that it's overused at times, and not targetted with sport-specificity enough.

Personally, I'm good with a dynamic warm up and playing ball.

Never trust a crossfitter.

Reaction Score
Ok, I'll admit I've been curious for at least a few years but afraid to check it out because every time I researched it there were so many options that I felt at sea and that it would be too uncomfortable to start now.

As we know, our new coach is apparently a fairly recent convert and Some Guy asked him about it yesterday at the presser.

I run daily and I love it, but I do very little strength/core stuff and I know I should do more. My CrossFit friends keep on me to try that, but I know that's not for me. I've also been curious about Pilates, but I have pretty much the same apprehension that I have with yoga, i.e., too many options and too awkward to start now.

So...any Yarders do yoga? What would you recommend for an active 50-something guy to start?
Do it by youself until you know how much gas you’ll pass.

Reaction Score
As goofy as it sounds, for a 50-something I'd recommend DDP Yoga (Diamond Dallas Paige. Yes, the wrestler). It's very gentle and only about 30 minute each. P90X is great but I think it's almost an hour and a half; it might be too much to start.

Also, be wary of certain poses if you have back problems.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The P90x Yoga is pretty tough for a beginner.

CrossFit seems like paying for the privledge to be injured with people who are way too close.

There are a million yoga videos online. I need to get cracking myself. My back has gotten so bad I avoid golf.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Do pilates instead. This video is good + very scenic:

If you run and do this 3x per week, you'll be just fine in terms of core strength and overall flexibility.

Reaction Score

If you aren't used to weight training I would strongly recommend avoiding any CrossFit. The form they teach is so jacked up, it's just a recipe for injury. I don't do yoga but it's great, only see benefits with that. For your back I would recommend some weight training. So many men hurt their backs and then just avoid using it out of fear of more injury. Only way to avoid back pain is by strengthening it. I can give you some exercises if you want.

Reaction Score
I have started to do yoga regularly as a counter to a herniated disc that I refuse to have surgery on. I think it helps. As @whaler11 said, there are tons of videos online, especially on Youtube. I subscribe to DoYogaWithMe, Yoga with Kassandra, Yoga with Adrienne and Tara Stiles. I prefer DoYogaWithMe but I would recommend trying any of them. DoYogaWithMe varies widely in difficulty so make sure the class is for beginners.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Great input so far; thanks all. I especially appreciate the video recs, as one of my biggest hangups is that I like to exercise alone and I hate the thought of joining a class, both because I like the solitude and focus of solo exercise, and because I don't want to be pressured to keep to a scheduled time. Oh yeah, the gas thing, too...

Last edited:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Try to do acro yoga with your spouse, you’ll thank me later

Reaction Score
Great input so far; thanks all. I especially appreciate the video recs, as one of my biggest hangups is that I like to exercise alone and I hate the thought of joining a class, both because I like the solitude and focus of solo exercise, and because I don't want to be pressured to keep to a scheduled time. Oh yeah, the gas thing, too...
Your other thread is locked and don't think I can send you a pm. Thanks for the shout, I can certainly be a jerk and was like a sledgehammer in my criticisms of Ollie but time to move on. We should all remember Ollie for the magic of 2014 and just move on, wishing him success in his future coaching endeavors, he'll always be a part of the family.

We got a good one in Hurley and the future again looks bright. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I will second the value of hot yoga. It was introduced to me by a relative who was a college football kicker. For those who love the sweat and stress release of playing 2 hours of pick up basketball, but want a low impact (to the joints) alternative, look no further. It does wonders for your athleticism/flexibility and has side benefits of helping calmness and focus.

Reaction Score
Don’t do CrossFit

Don’t worry about paying for a yoga program or anything. Do a little research, get accustomed to doing it yourself. YouTube should be all you need

Once you’re a little more flexible getting in to beginner Pilates classes would be a good call.

Haven’t done it but heard Pure Barre is killer

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
For you, I’d recommend the Jane Fonda workout.

Comes with leg warmers too.

Reaction Score
Do pilates instead. This video is good + very scenic:

If you run and do this 3x per week, you'll be just fine in terms of core strength and overall flexibility.

I don't think I'm flexible enough to do 90% of the movements in that video but I'll sure give it a try. Looks like a fantastic core workout.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My wife “ planks”

She started me on it this week now that I’m a couple weeks into a health kick. For core stuff in addition to the walking I’m doing

I last about 9 seconds. Actually 9 seconds might be my record time. She holds for minutes .

Oh well. Baby steps.

Reaction Score
apparel for yoga starters

Attachments

• yoga ass.jpg
    yoga ass.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 41
Reaction Score
Thanks for the shout, I . . . was like a sledgehammer in my criticisms of Ollie but time to move on.
We got a good one in Hurley and the future again looks bright. Go Huskies!
I love the way SJ worked an Ollie/Hurley thought into the Yoga thread! Score!

Me - maybe I should think about something like Yoga too.
OP - "I'm 50ish"
Responder - "something, something something, good for old folks."
Me - also 50ish - ooooofff. I didn't know they started Yoga for the old folks with a gut punch - lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom