OT: Wherefore thou handle? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Wherefore thou handle?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I lost my original BY handle during one of the server switches, so I decided to use my late father's nickname as a tribute to him. He was a huge UConn fan and never missed a Husky game. Plus, I like to think he would agree with the content of a lot of 'his' posts here. Sadly, he did not live to see any of the 21 national titles UConn has won since 1981. He died early that year. He does, however, still own the distinction of having one of his published Letters to the Editor at Sports Illustrated appearing in their online archives section.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I always thought it stood for Trypophobic Duke Fan. Since Trypophobia is the fear of holes and a hole can look like a zero (0), and that would remind you of the number of Duke women's National Championships. Guess I was wrong, sorry. :D

imm.jpg

Reaction Score
When I first registered on the BY I wanted to use the handle "Worrywart" because of my
penchant for becoming unreasonably nervous whenever UConn played a top 15 team.

The software said that "Worrywart" was already taken, and I needed to try a new handle.
Under the pressure of the blinking cursor all I could come up with was this trite and
obvious handle. It is accurate however. My name is Ed and I do root for the home team.

Over the years, I do not recall ever seeing a single post by "Worrywart".

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
For years and years, back to when I got my yahoo email account, I used tomcat because my name is Tom and the only pet we had at the time was Marvin the Cat. The numbers in my handle are meaningless, just a way to ensure I could use Tomcat with some kind of number. Anyway, Marvin passed on a few years ago (I was amazed when my daughter posted a tribute on Facebook and many of her friends posted sympathy notes because they remembered how distinctive the old guy was) but I kept the handle. We now have three small dogs, four cats, three foster cats and a tortoise, but I'll hang on to the tomcat handle just because. The photo that goes with it is an old shot of my granddaughter. I suppose I should update it.

Reaction Score
Mine came from a golf match in a tournament years ago. My ball was 2 feet from the hole and my opponent's was about 5 feet on a side hill. He looked at me and said "Good, good?" I said, "hell,no".
He made his putt and I missed mine. All my friends still laughed at me.

Reaction Score
The University of Connecticut has a beautiful campus at Avery Point in Groton (UCAP). I live just outside the campus. They have their own athletic dept. with Baseball, Men's basketball and Women's Basketball in the JUCO Division 3 (The Pointers). My wife and I are fans of the WBB team and go to a lot of their games to support them. Thus: UCAP_Fan. The avatar is a picture of the light house on the campus at Avery Point.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Pretty boring actually - when confronted by that flashing cursor requesting a user name the first time I joined a board many years ago my imagination failed me, so ... UC (for UConn) and Miami for the city I was living in at the time. UC still is relevant as I follow the women's team religiously, Miami not so much as I sold my house to my cousins a few years ago - I still get to visit but they pay all the bills! (My parents didn't raise no dummies!)
Amazingly, I have been able to use the same user name on every site I have ever joined so boring also turned into pretty simple.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've always been a New England sports fan. So when I was trying to come up with a handle back when AOL started I went with my favorite New England based racehorse. He won a handful of Grade 1 races and came in third in the Breeders Cup Classic. He ran his best with Chris McCarron aboard. McCarron rode Alysheba in that BC Classic, Waquoit was stuck with Jose Santos. I ran into Chris at a promotional event and I said, "I always felt Waquoit wins that Breeders Cup if you were riding him instead of Alysheba." He didn't disagree! "Jose made three mistakes..."

Anyway, I get a chance to post one of the most exciting races of all time, the 1987 Mass Cap. Has it all, famous horses, stretch duel and a fabulous race call.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Long ago I was a member of a very contentious forum with a lot of nasty posters. Can't remember what it was, perhaps the ukulele vs. tin whistle group. Anyhow, I decided Bestiarius would be a good Screen Name - from the ancient Rome gladiator days meaning, someone who went into combat with beasts.

Having no imagination, I just carried it over to the Boneyard from its prior use.

Fishbone

Chief Lurker
Reaction Score
I have enjoyed fishing all my life. I am now well into retirement. My entire employment career has been in research and development in the paper industry and have used Fish Bone Diagrams to analyze problems.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm embarrassed. It's just my name y'all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom