OT: Tell me about your chickens. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Tell me about your chickens.

Reaction Score
Chickens are cool. Roosters not so much. They won’t smell if you keep adding pine shavings. Lost 3 sets to wildlife. Bobcat, hawk and bear. Was able to protect from bobcat but bear was too much

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Screenshot_20200507-043815.png

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Clearing out some space in the backyard and getting rid of an old playset and a dilapidated shed. Thinking of putting a chicken coop back there.

Pros: I have the space. I like to cook. The thought of fresh eggs is a plus. I'm not a pet person, so if a hawk plucks one up? I don't care. I would even eat them after they get past the laying stage.
Cons: I'm not a pet person. These are working birds for me. They'll be clean, well fed and cared for....but it won't be the Taj Mahal.

How easy is it to manage 3-4 chickens? How expensive? What are the things that I'm clearly missing?

If you're doing this for fresh eggs, do it. If you're doing to save money on eggs, don't bother.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Currently have seven in my flock. I have had chickens for the past 5 years. They are extremely easy to raise and will eat everything. I raised my current flock from chicks and would say if you are serious about it spend the extra money and buy pullets instead of chicks. As chicks they make an enormous mess and need heat lamps. Just make sure you get breeds that are meant for the cold.

A bag of layer pellets cost about $12-15 and last my flock a month or two depending on how much food waste I have to feed them. I get 3-5 eggs a day on average so it is definitely cheaper than buying free range organic eggs from the store.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
See? Make some corn popsicles? Happy chickens. Easy peasy.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I think I know what town you live in. Check page 59 of the zoning regulations. Chickens are allowed in all R Zones with a 12 bird maximum. Roosters and peacocks are not allowed. Not sure if coops get setback relief but sheds of 200 square feet or less do. Maybe propose the coop as a chicken shed. A combo coop with shed storage for tools etc. A shed can be up to 12 feet from a property line if rear of a rear facade of a house.

Reaction Score
Curious, how do you chicken keepers keep the chickens warm in the winter?

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Curious, how do you chicken keepers keep the chickens warm in the winter?

Hot weather is actually worse for them than cold. That is if you have a cold weather breed. I add some more wood chips than normal but other than that they are intelligent and hardy creatures. I know some run power out for heating but that is a fire hazard and not worth the risk in my mind. Keeping the water from freezing is the tough part. I bring it in every night and bring them fresh water in the morning.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
That's one thing about Key West, chickens cross the street all the time and no ones questions them.
Some do wonder whether they are on their way to or from Blue Heaven.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Maybe my favorite restaurant in the world.
The ribbing within this thread aside, I hope the best for you if you move forward on this project.

I have neighbors who keep chickens and have been present during a couple of neighborhood teaching sessions, where their enthusiasm and joy was deeply evident. And their eggs are quite good.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The space is cleared out. Got rid of a decrepit old shed just reading up on the basics. Chickens soon, kids.
I’ll tell you what , they are selling baby chicks at the farm right down the road as I drove by today. I will buy the baby chicks and drive em up to you tomorrow ( I’m due for a hometown drive) just say yes and how many chicks. I’ll deliver.

considering a boneyard/spike lee joint

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’ll tell you what , they are selling baby chicks at the farm right down the road as I drove by today. I will buy the baby chicks and drive em up to you tomorrow ( I’m due for a hometown drive) just say yes and how many chicks. I’ll deliver.

considering a boneyard/spike lee joint

i need to order and build the coop. 2 weeks and a play date?

Reaction Score
I thought about buying some roosters to piss the neighbors off with.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Oh please, please get chickens.

The boneyard needs this in our lives.

Every once in a while you just nail it. This is one.

Reaction Score
If you have owls, foxes, hawks, or owls in your neighborhood.............this will be a short-lived experience. I also hope you have a large yard as chicke coops can be a bit malodorous.

Reaction Score
If you have owls, foxes, hawks, or owls in your neighborhood.............this will be a short-lived experience. I also hope you have a large yard as chicke coops can be a bit malodorous.
Also, a coyote ate my ex-wife's cat in Deepster's neck of the woods. Keep them safe!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom