OT: Meghan Gardler - #MeToo | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Meghan Gardler - #MeToo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She came forward and it was buried.

Who at UConn during her time as a student would have had the power to bury it?

If the perpetrator was a typical student or professor, do you think it would've been buried?

If the first or 2nd came forward with Wienstien (sp) and charged him or sued him---his mode of operation would have been no longer hidden.\He was able to continue because there was little or no visibility and therefore no punishment. People only do what they can get away with---immoral people, eventually learn but only if what they are doing is visible --in this case it took years. Those who failed to have him arrested or sued him--only allowed him to abuse and use other unsuspecting women.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Reading is FUNdamental!

What about what you wrote is not blaming the victim for future acts by their victimizer?

You wrote:

It is those who have suffered their abuse that are abusing those who may have future contact with that abusive person.

You said that those that have been abused are abusing those the abuser might meet in the future and then called them enablers.

If that's not what you meant, maybe try again.

Wally East

Reaction Score
If the first or 2nd came forward with Wienstien (sp) and charged him or sued him---his mode of operation would have been no longer hidden.\He was able to continue because there was little or no visibility and therefore no punishment. People only do what they can get away with---immoral people, eventually learn but only if what they are doing is visible --in this case it took years. Those who failed to have him arrested or sued him--only allowed him to abuse and use other unsuspecting women.

Wow.

No.

This is not how this works.

You don't blame the people who get harassed or assaulted.

This fundamentally misunderstands so much about all of the dynamics at work.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Women have been suffering abuses large and small forever. That Megan suffered from something that has harmed her to the point that it still affects her makes me sad, so very sad.

A video I saw on Facebook (48 Things Women Hear In A Lifetime (That Men Just Don't) | HuffPost) made me grimace. I've heard most of those comments. I've been physically assaulted (a boss came up behind me and grabbed me around the bust) but in those days, we were supposed to be, well, not a b*tch towards men. It's time for a change folks.

#MeToo
Long past time for change Nan. We oldsters have a responsibility to teach and show those younger a better standard of behavior. Looking at this and places like Baylor it seems we have been abject failures.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As the police and prosecutors investigated the model’s allegations, the movie mogul set in motion a team of top-shelf defense lawyers and publicists to undermine her credibility. They gathered court records from Italy about a previous sexual assault complaint she had filed and then dropped. Stories questioning her motives popped up in the tabloids with anonymous sources. Mr. Weinstein’s team even enlisted the help of a former Manhattan sex crimes prosecutor turned novelist with influential ties.

In the end, the Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus R. Vance Jr., announced he would not press charges.

For Weinstein, a Brush With the Police, Then No Charges

Wally East

Reaction Score
As the police and prosecutors investigated the model’s allegations, the movie mogul set in motion a team of top-shelf defense lawyers and publicists to undermine her credibility. They gathered court records from Italy about a previous sexual assault complaint she had filed and then dropped. Stories questioning her motives popped up in the tabloids with anonymous sources. Mr. Weinstein’s team even enlisted the help of a former Manhattan sex crimes prosecutor turned novelist with influential ties.

In the end, the Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus R. Vance Jr., announced he would not press charges.

For Weinstein, a Brush With the Police, Then No Charges

Thank you, Nan. This makes me so angry that I can't do anything more than state my disbelief.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It is really difficult for abuse victims to reveal the abuse. It’s become a bit easier in recent years because more victims are going public, but it’s still a low percentage. She certainly agonized before making her statement

The one regrettable thing about her revelation is the broad reference to the “powers that be.” She would be well served to speak through an attorney.

Reaction Score
I feel awful for Meghan, I was always a huge fan.
This stuff just breaks my heart.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Naturally it didn't take volnation long to pick up on this. Any chance to bash UCONN is a welcome topic. Rather than focus on the harrassment and the individuals victimized :(

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Naturally it didn't take volnation long to pick up on this. Any chance to bash UCONN is a welcome topic. Rather than focus on the harrassment and the individuals victimized :(
they didn't say anything wrong in the thread... so far!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
they didn't say anything wrong in the thread... so far!

The title is all you need to see. It's not meant to be about the poor girl's assault, it empasizes the University coverup.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The title is all you need to see. It's not meant to be about the poor girl's assault, it empasizes the University coverup.
half filled half empty... if it was only about the assault MG wouldn't have put the "cover up". same interest here on this board.

Actually they're over there fighting about being a creeper and her being gorgeous etc. in that thread... much about nothing, hopefully you wasn't expecting for this to get swept under the rug by VolNation

Reaction Score
Do our enemies regularly monitor our site looking for bad news they can turn against us??? Guess the answer is yes...

Reaction Score
I would hope that if Meghan wants to tell her story she will do so in a clear and concise way and name names so that this can all be out in the open............unlike at Baylor where there was a widespread pattern of abuse and cover ups at the highest levels over many years, here you have one individual who has yet to come forward with any details..........I'm confident that if UConn employees were involved the school would want to get to the bottom of this
as quickly as possible..............

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn to Pay $1.3 Million to End Suit on Rape Cases

I forget when Gardler attended, but UConn's had some issues properly responding to women's complaints in the past.
Read the article, the headline makes it seem as their was a global of systemic problem unique to the university. That is not the case.

The bulk of the settlement ($900,000) was from the case of woman's hockey player who was cut from the hockey team after reporting her rape to her coach. The remaining defendants received payments ranging from $25,000 to $125,000. One of the defendants was the young woman who claimed that the new Husky logo promoted rape because of its angry face.

Please don't read the post as minimizing the larger issues of sexual assault and campus safety as that is not my attention. I do feel that this particular law suit was more about Gloria Allred that the victims or any larger principal.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Unfortunately the answer is yes. Had Meghan just said "#MeToo", and left it at that, then of course we would feel badly for her and respect her privacy. But by adding " I was sexually assaulted in college. It was covered up by the powers that be", she is basically accusing "someone" at the university.

...she needs to name...
...Why couldn't she have...

Lots of thoughts...please pardon the length of this post.

As a preliminary matter, Meghan said "the powers that be." She did not say that if it was the athletic department, a student conduct department, a Title IX compliance office, the university brass, campus police, State of Connecticut law enforcement, the District Attorney's office, etc.

Second, Meghan graduated from UConn in 2010. She made the public statement, on Twitter, in 2017. Obviously, the trauma of such an horrific crime - and the further trauma of a cover-up by "the powers that be" as well as the fear of what speaking out could mean - have prevented her from speaking out.

In her Twitter post, Meghan stated, "I still am afraid to talk about it." Sexual violence is such a traumatic event - and, unfortunately, way too frequent of an occurrence, especially at colleges and universities.

When people say things like (and please know that I am not attacking the posters I quoted, one of whom is a friend (Eric); I am merely referencing them as a discussion point) "she needs to" or stating things she could have done merely exacerbates the problem - and also helps explain why many sexual assault/rape victims do not report. They are told what they need to do, what they should have done, asked why and how they could have prevented it, etc. In a way, they are victimized again.

Having said that, it is important to read the NYTimes pieces that was linked in this thread, discussing the lawsuit.

In that case, the four plaintiffs in that case stated that they did *not* blame the university, but found fault with the way it was dealt with by UConn's staff members, including a female campus police officer. The plaintiffs also stated they were discouraged from reporting attacks to the police or not informed of their legal options. To me, this sounds like a matter for a compliance office (including Title IX compliance) and a student conduct board/department.

And the settlement - in 2014 - lead to the creation of an assistant dean position for victim support services, the creation of a special victims unit within the campus police department with officers trained in responding to sexual violence, and a revised training program for all managerial/executive employees at the university to deal with sexual harassment and sexual violence. Reading this, I believe it is reasonable to assume that "the powers that be" referenced by Meghan is not anyone associated with WBB, but could very well be individuals who were not even part of the athletic department.

I understand posters' concerns about the impact such an allegation could have on recruiting. As a preliminary matter, Baylor WBB's recruiting has not suffered at all, despite systemic, pervasive sexual assault and rape by male athletes. Second, post-settlement (2014), UConn is likely a very different place - and hopefully a safe environment, one where female students are not sexually assaulted and, if G-d forbid they are, can report such allegations without fear of reprisal and have their allegations taken seriously and fully investigated by the university and the police.

Furthermore, and I HATE to bring this up, but Geno Auriemma had a former player who graduated BEFORE Meghan entered UConn. This former player was sexually abused by her AAU coach. This AAU coach was eventually arrested and charged with 59 counts of sexual assault, assault, and abuse. He later committed suicide in prison. Knowing this, I feel very comfortable saying that there is NO WAY that Geno Auriemma or anyone on his staff or affiliated/associated with the UConn WBB program would ever not take allegations seriously or cover anything up. Absolutely NO WAY, NO HOW.

Finally, I want to make a VERY important, personal point. I have met hundreds of women's basketball players. I can tell you this. Many players really liked their college coaches. Many thought they were great teachers, role models, etc. The best coaches often have the majority of their former players saying very positive things about them.

But when I have met and spoken with Geno Auriemma's former players, it is different. They LOVE him. They would jump in front of a bus for him. They cannot be any more effusive in terms of their praise for him. And these are players with all different personality types, backgrounds, races, talent level, etc. That tells you what a special coach he is. And I guarantee recruits and their families know this.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I would hope that if Meghan wants to tell her story she will do so in a clear and concise way and name names so that this can all be out in the open..unlike at Baylor where there was a widespread pattern of abuse and cover ups at the highest levels over many years, here you have one individual who has yet to come forward with any details.....I'm confident that if UConn employees were involved the school would want to get to the bottom of this
as quickly as possible....

There is always a first incident, then, if there is anything more, other victims would come forward. I hope that there are no other incidents to be reported.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

You will notice that on the Baylor board someone started a thread and the few replies were "let's not go there...glass houses." This was not used as an opportunity to pile on, as we want to keep the board focused on basketball.

Reaction Score
More to the matter at hand, The twitter post reflects an issue with victims of sexual assault that is pervasive in society, not just at college campuses (although we all like to think that colleges are better and safer places than the world at large. In my opinion and from my experience that is not the case). Ask any woman who has been interviewed by law enforcement after reporting a sexual assault and I think they will tell you that it felt like the "powers that be" were treating them as if they themselves were responsible for what happened to them. This isn't right by any stretch of the imagination, but it is the reality for many. Hopefully things are changing, but it won't be all rainbows and unicorns over night. Interactions between the sexes are, and have always been, fraught with roiling emotional undercurrents, misconceptions and misperceptions.

Colleges and Universities are businesses. Ultimately they exist to perpetuate themselves. Their image and reputation are paramount in the quest for students and the money they bring in. As such, the first instinct of the institution and those who are responsible for maintaining the image is to push unpleasant occurrences that don't fit the image under the rug to hide it. Inevitably it backfires. This has happened at many institutions of higher learning and it will continue to happen. Some places have a bigger problem than others. Some have been more forthright in trying to fix things than others, but it is a pervasive issue that is not going to go away tomorrow. No one should be shocked that this happened at UConn or at any other college/university, at least in my opinion. It would be nice if this were not the case. Hopefully in time we get to a point where such news truly is shocking.

Colleges and Universities are large and powerful in relation to a student and the student's family. They have legal and investigative resources not available to you or me. Is it any wonder that it is hard for these kids to push forward when the first thing they encounter from the administration/campus security apparatus when they report a sexual assault are questions like "Are you sure this is really what happened?" or "Did you clearly say no?" "Had you been drinking?" "Did you do anything to lead the person who assaulted you on?"

These are all parts of the whole that need to be understood when you talk about sexual assault, reporting the same, and why people struggle with their experiences for years before they feel ready to talk about it, if they ever get to that point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think everybody is jumping the gun on this........we have zero information and who know's in the end Megan may never reveal any additional information..........as far as I know she never mentioned the basketball program's involvement in this so why do I sense that some, especially from the outside are ready to pounce on Geno and the coaching staff?

As I stated before, we will not hide from such charges if they are made and unlike other schools, I'm pretty sure the current UConn administration would handle such an issue in the proper way..........so perhaps we should wait until we have more information before we start placing blame

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think everybody is jumping the gun on this...we have zero information and who know's in the end Megan may never reveal any additional information.....as far as I know she never mentioned the basketball program's involvement in this so why do I sense that some, especially from the outside are ready to pounce on Geno and the coaching staff?

As I stated before, we will not hide from such charges if they are made and unlike other schools, I'm pretty sure the current UConn administration would handle such an issue in the proper way.....so perhaps we should wait until we have more information before we start placing blame
outsider pounce cause it's a rivalry and it's no holds barred... some are wicked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom