OT: Meghan Gardler - #MeToo | The Boneyard

OT: Meghan Gardler - #MeToo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Meghan Gardler on Twitter came out yesterday and send she was sexually assaulted in College and it was covered up by the powers to be.

This is obviously a pretty shocking allegation. Has anyone seen any details on this elsewhere?

I was a big Meghan Gardler fan and I'm sad to hear about this....

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Thread zapped in 5-4-3-...

Reaction Score
Meghan Gardler on Twitter came out yesterday.....

Suggestion: unless someone is declaring that s/he is gay, you would be wise to refrain from using the phrase "came out."
Until I saw the actual tweet, I was wondering "did she Come Out AND say that she was an assault victim"

Reaction Score
I'm devastated to read Meghan's tweet. Having three daughters and one that went to UCONN I am shocked that this could have occurred and that for any reason whatsoever someone decided to cover it up. We send our daughter's to college hoping that they have a wonderful time learning and growing up and this is something that NO ONE should ever have to experience. My prayers go out to Meghan and I hope she has been receiving help and is living a wonderful life. And your right Fairfield Fan, this story is just beginning and I expect that we will be watching and reading much more about this.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I too am devastated by this tweet. But I'm also heartened by the courage of this young lady to bring to light what was in darkness for so long. Stay strong Meghan! I too hope you are or have gotten the help and support you need.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Acutely heartbroken by this news. I have know Meghan since she was in CYO basketball in 5th or 6th grade competing against my daughters. The Meghan I knew was absolutely joyous, fearless and grounded. I sincerely hope she finds the courage and the voice to confront the monsters that caused her to become afraid.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Acutely heartbroken by this news. I have know Megan since she was in CYO basketball in 5th or 6th grade competing against my daughters. The Megan I knew was absolutely joyous, fearless and grounded. I sincerely hope she finds the courage and the voice to confront the monsters that caused her to become afraid.
I'm disturbed by this thread--that something bad happened to Megan and it was swept under the rug.

Coco, are you in the Philly area? I used to live in the same township as Megan, just down the street from O'Hara.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm disturbed by this thread--that something bad happened to Megan and it was swept under the rug.
Coco, are you in the Philly area? I used to live in the same township as Megan, just down the street from O'Hara.
Of course. Know O'Hara well. Older daughter went to Carroll though.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Of course. Know O'Hara well. Older daughter went to Carroll though.
Ok, I lived in Springfield much of the 1970s and 1980s. The notable alums of SHS--before my sons attended--included Geoff Petrie and Mike Scioscia. My older son lives in OC now and has met Mike.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Acutely heartbroken by this news. I have know Megan since she was in CYO basketball in 5th or 6th grade competing against my daughters. The Megan I knew was absolutely joyous, fearless and grounded. I sincerely hope she finds the courage and the voice to confront the monsters that caused her to become afraid.
Yeah Coco. There isn't a single part of this episode that ain't gonna hurt.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So sad for Meghan. Also concerned about the words she used - what "powers that be" covered up the whole thing? Who did she report this to while at the university? She said she's still afraid to talk about it so I'm not even sure that an investigation would uncover what happened.

I'd like to see some more clarification on this. It's a serious allegation.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But isn't that the whole issue
That bad things happen and then the authorities hush it up
Re: (Spotlight, NC cheat, Watergate, whatever)...take your choice
That's not the issue at all. The issue is that your need to know (and mine) must be (and will always be) secondary to Meghan's privacy. Meghan will decide what and when she wants to tell us. We do not get to ask!

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So, do we go to the next unhappy step and inquire about the "powers?"
Unfortunately the answer is yes. Had Meghan just said "#MeToo", and left it at that, then of course we would feel badly for her and respect her privacy. But by adding " I was sexually assaulted in college. It was covered up by the powers that be", she is basically accusing "someone" at the university.

Was it the police? Someone in the administration? Or god forbid, Geno or someone on the WCBB staff? Unfortunately, this is a story I suspect will get some legs, it will show up on other WCBB boards, and as long as it's left vague with no additional information, could be used against Geno in recruiting.

I get her right to privacy, but when you lob an accusation like that out there, it will lead to all kinds of speculation, and none of it will do anyone any good. Such a sad situation in every respect. My heart goes out to her... bad enough to live thru it, but to have the additional horror of it being covered up, had to make it that much more difficult for her to deal with... :(

Reaction Score
So, do we go to the next unhappy step and inquire about the "powers?"

Lets get Sports Illustrated involved, see if they can do a Penn State - surely at least bring down Geno. This isn't going to just die. UConn's profile is too high. Gotta wonder what is going thru her mind. There are so many ways to handle this other than Tweeting. Makes me sick to think about the ramifications on her as well as the school. If BY becomes a new home for the "social injustice" trolls, I for one am gone.

JS

Reaction Score
That's not the issue at all. The issue is that your need to know (and mine) must be (and will always be) secondary to Megan's privacy. Megan will decide what and when she wants to tell us. We do not get to ask!
Only a slight difference of opinion, Coco. We can ask, but in doing so aren't performing a positive function and have no right to an answer.

Asking for more facts without a need to know, e.g. a university fact-finding/remedial function, is bad form, IMO. It runs counter to one of the attractions of #MeToo -- that you can overcome your fear of being put under a microscope if you speak up.

Some very prominent participants have given details, others have kept it general. That's up to them. It's a big step either way. Asking them to go further because of one's curiosity can be counterproductive and even smack a bit of titillation.

I applaud all the #MeToo women, the vast majority of whom I take to be sincere. After all, it's not exactly great publicity for the self-seeking.

The timing may be tough in a particular instance (as it may be here) but the important thing is for those with a sincere grievance to participate -- i.e. to contribute toward the goal of putting improper behavior in its shameful and hopefully dwindling place.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
This isn't going to just die.

It isn't really "alive" in the sense that this has zero media traction so far. For example, searching her name on twitter yields no results since her tweet except for a couple people responding to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom