OT: Looking for golf course recommendation in SE CT, Western RI | The Boneyard

OT: Looking for golf course recommendation in SE CT, Western RI

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'd appreciate some suggestions for decent and not crazily priced courses generally in SE Connecticut or western RI.

Reaction Score
Shennecosett (sp ? ) in Groton / New london area is a great course and not killer expensive. Also when we were in Narragansett, played a course about 15 minutes away named Richmond. Nice course and reasonably priced. My son used to play in a junior golf circuit when he was in high school. His 2 favorites were Newport national ( just outside Newport ) and I believe the other one was just outside providence called Tripp. Now I am not positive about the name of the one in Providence, but it is either Tripp or something similar to that. Hope this helps.

Reaction Score
I agree w/ UCJoe, Shenne is a great public course with reasonable rates and you can see the water on 3 holes. Newport National is fantastic but pricey so keep that in mind depending what you are looking for. You might want to look at Beaver River which is right off of 95 in RI on Kingston Rd. the course is just over 10 years old and is in great shape. Also very reasonably priced. If money is no object and you are solid off the tee, just go to Lake of Isles.... Can't go wrong there. Last recommendation is River Ridge which is the last exit in CT. This course is good only if you are trying to just get out quick and don't want to wait around. It has 3 9hole courses so pick your track wisely. I think these four courses will get you what you want depending on location and what you are looking to spend.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Elm Ridge is off the last Rte 95 exit before Rhode Island. River Ridge is off the Rte 164 exit on 395.

Reaction Score
Shenny is one of my favorites and a great municipal and reasonably priced course. It may appear a bit bland at first glance, but it's a traditional links course (for the most part) that you need to recognize some of the subtleties of the (mostly) old Donald Ross design to really appreciate it.

Another couple that haven't been mentioned are Fenner Hill and Meadowbrook in SW RI. People either love or hate Fenner Hill, but I am in the former group. Greens can be a bit hard and there are a couple quirky holes but nothing unfair.

Meadowbrook is probably the nicest public course in this area (other than maybe Foxwoods). It used to be a complete dog track, but they totally bulldozed it a few years ago and built a new top notch course by Robert Rulewich. It can play long, but it is an extremely fair course with very generous fairways, particularly off the tee. Its a little on the pricy side at $60-70 with a cart, but its not Foxwoods/Fox Hopyard/NN crazy expensive. Worth the money IMHO.

The other mentioned are good courses too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was going to throw Fenner Hill on the list. Pretty easy to get to and when I played reasonably priced.

Reaction Score
Elm Ridge is off the last Rte 95 exit before Rhode Island. River Ridge is off the Rte 164 exit on 395.

Elmridge is a decent course. Not too expensive. However it is located off exit 92 from 95. This is actually the second to last exit in ct before RI. There is an exit 93

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Thanks for the suggestions. One last question. I'm trying the find a course more or less mutually convenient to me (just north of New Haven) and a friend who lives a bit south of Boston. Although I think I'm inclined toward one of the courses you all have mentioned, does anyone have an opinion of Connecticut National in Putnam? Thanks

Reaction Score
Thanks for the suggestions. One last question. I'm trying the find a course more or less mutually convenient to me (just north of New Haven) and a friend who lives a bit south of Boston. Although I think I'm inclined toward one of the courses you all have mentioned, does anyone have an opinion of Connecticut National in Putnam? Thanks
If you go to Shenny let me know and I'll buy you a beer. ;)

Reaction Score
I really like CT National. They have done some great work to the course over the last several years. They have lengthened it and opened it up in several areas to make it far less penal but remains a challenge while remaining fair and interesting. A couple of former very short and non-descript and par 3 holes were completely replaced. Reasonably price with deals to be found. Another good course in that area is Raceway in Thomaston near the race course. Maybe not as nice as CT National, bjt a little cheaper and still a fine layout.

Other ideas are the courses in the Worcester area. Maybe a little closer to Boston than you, but there are some good ones like Blackstone National (pricy), Cyprian Keys, Kettlebrook, Blissful Meadows, Shining Rock, Heritage, and Highfields.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Meadowbrook is the nicest of all as DogBoy said......Fenner and Richmond are fun as is Winnapaug when in good shape. River Ridge down there just before jumping on 138 in CT is okay too........Laurel Lane and Beaver Brook also not too bad off of 138 heading towards URI.................

Reaction Score
Shennecosett (sp ? ) in Groton / New london area is a great course and not killer expensive. Also when we were in Narragansett, played a course about 15 minutes away named Richmond. Nice course and reasonably priced. My son used to play in a junior golf circuit when he was in high school. His 2 favorites were Newport national ( just outside Newport ) and I believe the other one was just outside providence called Tripp. Now I am not positive about the name of the one in Providence, but it is either Tripp or something similar to that. Hope this helps.
Richmond is a decent course. I believe that Richmond is the old Coast Guard course.

Reaction Score
played there a few weeks back. nice course, not too crowded, and great conditions. I think it was a qualifier for the traverlers.
The fescue was long when I played which changes the course. not too deep so you'll find your ball, but it definitely takes a stroke away getting out.
$63 with cart when I played.

Would highly recommend the course.

Reaction Score
I really like CT National. They have done some great work to the course over the last several years. They have lengthened it and opened it up in several areas to make it far less penal but remains a challenge while remaining fair and interesting. A couple of former very short and non-descript and par 3 holes were completely replaced. Reasonably price with deals to be found. Another good course in that area is Raceway in Thomaston near the race course. Maybe not as nice as CT National, bjt a little cheaper and still a fine layout.

Other ideas are the courses in the Worcester area. Maybe a little closer to Boston than you, but there are some good ones like Blackstone National (pricy), Cyprian Keys, Kettlebrook, Blissful Meadows, Shining Rock, Heritage, and Highfields.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
like cyprian keys but its a ridiculous layout for anyone shooting +90. bring lots of balls.

Reaction Score

Yup, your're absolutely correct! Mixed up the two. When River Ridge opened up, you could also play at Elm Ridge if you were a member there since they were owned by the same company. They were trying to pick up membership at the time, and it was a sweet deal. They only ran it for a year though...

Reaction Score
The Connecticut Senior Open is scheduled for July 15 & 16 at Shenny, The course should be groomed for the event, they are letting the fescue to grow high , better defined primary and secondary roughs, fairways and greens in good shape. Should be in its best condition all year.

Reaction Score
The Connecticut Senior Open is scheduled for July 15 & 16 at Shenny, The course should be groomed for the event, they are letting the fescue to grow high , better defined primary and secondary roughs, fairways and greens in good shape. Should be in its best condition all year.

Good point and as someone else pointed out CT National recently held the qualifier for the Travelers so I am sure that is in wonderful shape........

And to add to all of the recommendations, be sure to contact the pro shop or someone who has played Richmond prior to playing. While I believe, minus the newly renovated Meadowbrook, Richmond is easily the best deal down that way and the nicest layout it has had some off and on issues with the greens the last 2-3 years. Be sure they are all good and if they are this is the best selection for the price. Almost seems with all of the pines it should be in North Carolina!!

Reaction Score
I have never played 18 holes of golf, but I saw the title of this thread and had to chime in.

Considering that the entire state is maybe 15 miles wide, is it really meaningful to distinguish "western" Rhode Island?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom