OT: French Open... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: French Open...

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
In the realm of she's-come-out-of-nowhere, a first time Latvian-in-the-semis is 19 year old Jelena Ostapenko, who has dispatched the Woz. Youngster bears watching.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
And her beat goes on. When was the last time a 47th ranked player made the finals of a Majpr. Answer: never. Jelena won in 3 sets about an hour ago. The Latvian phenom hits her strokes in the company of men, even a few notches faster than Andy Murray.
Using her unique talent, she's a kamikaze player, suffering lots of unforced errors, but the winners, boy oh boy.
Happy 20th birthday, Jelena. It's probably your best.

As I write Simona Halep is up a set, early in set 2 in the other semi.

Andy Murray vs. Stan Wawrinka gets underway at 6 am tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Nice job by the kid to rally for the win. Just tougher mentally than Halep, and fearless. A lot of players on the women's side from the past, including some mentioned in this thread, played a different game from the one to which we're now treated. Comparing players from different eras is a very slippery slope in most sports, and none moreso than women's tennis. The athleticism today is elevated to a whole new level...and we're the luckier for it!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I hope you saw it, just an excellent women's final. The retriever is Romania's Simona Halep. Only 25, but we've seen her lots. She was a finalist at this same stadium in 2014. Not too great at other venues, but clay is her forte. As a retriever you want every chance for a ball to slow down as you race cross court. Clay does that. Man, does she get to those balls, often when this viewer says that she won't reach it.

The pounder is 20 year & 2 days old Latvian Jelena Ostapenko. A pro since age 16, but we don't know her, obviously cause she hasn't
impressed. The biggest feather in her cap is the 3rd round at the Aussie. But like I wrote above, her strokes are man-speed.

She comes right out and blasts Simona off the court. All well and good, but pounders live and die with risk, and balls will go astray.
So breaks of serve are traded and we're at 4-all. Great Pouncing; great retrieving. Each gave the other problems on second serves.
Each winds up winning only about 1/4 of second serves.

But then, Holy Batman! Simona reels off 5 games. It's 3-0 in the 2nd, and I'm asking myself what I want to do after tennis.

Well, Whoa Nellie, Jelena is cutting down on the unforced errors and finishes the set, winning 6 of 7 games. Not because Simona is playing poorly, she has very few unforced errors. In part her problem is she also has very few winners. Chasing down Jalena's
cannonballs does not much allow Simona to return with authority.

The 3rd set is more exchange of breaks. Like the 2nd set, the early lead is with Simona, 3-1. The Latvian must get REAL MAD
When she sees herself behind (though there was not much histrionics.. she seems darn mature). Anyway, you'd think the youngster would at some point get overwhelmed by the occasion, by her losing in set 3.

Well, we found what she is, an ice maiden when it counts. The winners/errors ration turned in her favor.
On one point she mashes the ball down the line; it's headed out. But Wait! It hits the top of the net, bounces straight up, curves toward the court, 8 feet in the air and drops for a winner. That's when you wonder, if God's invested in the outcome.

And now a 20 year and 2 days old Latvian is the new champ at Roland Garros. Heck of a thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom