OT: French Open... | The Boneyard

OT: French Open...

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
..begins in 10 days, with the draw possibly on 5/25. For now I am posting a few tidbits, and we'll run this thread as the tournament begins.
Roger has played no clay contests and will not do the French. Even though he won the Aussie, clay doesn't excite him. As a 35 year old, he's being picky about surfaces. No doubt we'll see him at Wimbledon, where he will be among the favorites.
Nowadays there's pressure on the top players to play all the big tournaments, for one may be punished in the rankings. Think that bothers Roger? I doubt it.
Murray, Novak and, especially Rafa (who has blitzed the lead-up tournaments this past month) are the usual favorites. No Americans, as usual, are thought to mount a serious threat

Serena, probably 5 months plus in her pregnancy, is likely done for this year. And maybe forever. C'mon
now, you knew it had to happen.
Maria S. will have to go through the qualies, for she has been denied a wild card on account of last year's doping.

Reaction Score
Maria S. ranking was not high enough to enter the qualification. It had to be around 205 or better by the cutoff date. She was at 267

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IMHO the French Open did the right thing via Sharapova. It would be different had she been injured and was coming back from that (or a pregnancy like Williams and Azarenka will be dealing with). Getting caught doping is serious, and for the integrity of the game, she should work her way back up the rankings like any other player who had no points to start with. She should not be rewarded for doping, no matter how much she blamed others for her predicament.

As for Roger, good for him. Doubtful he was going to win the French, and if clay is not his thing, no reason to go all out slipping and sliding all over the courts in the lead-up events, or the big one itself.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
afp-serena-williams-wins-first-set-of-french-open-final.jpg

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
BTW Maria has been approved for one of the lead-up contests to Wimbledon as a wild card.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
On the Tennis Channel starting soon Novak vs. del Potro in the Rome quarters.
Meanwhile Rafa has finally lost a clay contest, to Dominick Thiem of Austria, a young player who is thought to have a good shot in Paris.
Surprisingly, John Isner has made the Rome semis. Clay is not his specialty.
Angelique Kerber is #1 , but she has not a significant win this year. She'll be far from a true favorite at Paris.

Reaction Score
Marias doping was not one of the more egregious doping cases i have seen..... and she paid her full due.....

as a 2 time former champion i would have let her play.... it will be the fans loss....

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Marias doping was not one of the more egregious doping cases i have seen..... and she paid her full due.....

as a 2 time former champion i would have let her play.... it will be the fans loss....

And the WTA agrees. Meanwhile Maria has agreed to Wimbledon qualies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Last year's French champ Gabine made the semis at Rome, but retired after 5 games with a neck injury. Given that she has retired 4 times this year, one must wonder about her fragility going into next week's Major.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
On the woman's side Pam Shriver, as well as the players, say there is no clear favorite. Simona Halep has been high ranked for years, but does not have a Major yet. Still, clay is her best surface and has a good record coming in on that surface. But she can succumb to negativity.

Novak lost at Rome to Alex Zverev, and has chosen Andre Agassi to be his French Open
coach. Andre has one win in Paris.

Andy Murray is top seed, but has had a pretty week year for him.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
..begins in 10 days, with the draw possibly on 5/25. For now I am posting a few tidbits, and we'll run this thread as the tournament begins.
Roger has played no clay contests and will not do the French. Even though he won the Aussie, clay doesn't excite him. As a 35 year old, he's being picky about surfaces. No doubt we'll see him at Wimbledon, where he will be among the favorites.
Nowadays there's pressure on the top players to play all the big tournaments, for one may be punished in the rankings. Think that bothers Roger? I doubt it.
Murray, Novak and, especially Rafa (who has blitzed the lead-up tournaments this past month) are the usual favorites. No Americans, as usual, are thought to mount a serious threat

Serena, probably 5 months plus in her pregnancy, is likely done for this year. And maybe forever. C'mon
now, you knew it had to happen.
Maria S. will have to go through the qualies, for she has been denied a wild card on account of last year's doping.

I've heard Serena say that she wants to play next year but I don't think it will happen. As much as I would love to see her on the court again I don't think she will be able to regain her fitness after having a baby at this age. I pray that I am wrong. I always thought that Venus would retire first but she may keep playing into her 40s.

Viva la Venus!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I've heard Serena say that she wants to play next year but I don't think it will happen. As much as I would love to see her on the court again I don't think she will be able to regain her fitness after having a baby at this age. I pray that I am wrong. I always thought that Venus would retire first but she may keep playing into her 40s.

Viva la Venus!

Never count out Serena. That being said..... after Serena and Venus retire..... then I will most likely retire from watching Women's tennis as well.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
A listing of doubtful participants: Juan del Potro. Among the women, Bouchard, Halep, Woz and Muguruza.
Seeding will be announced tomorrow.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
A listing of doubtful participants: Juan del Potro. Among the women, Bouchard, Halep, Woz and Muguruza.
Seeding will be announced tomorrow.

The above all intend to give it a go.

Reminiscent of Monica Seles being stabbed at the height of her career, Petra Kvitova, holder of 2 Wimbledons, suffered a serious hand injury during a home invasion close to 1/2 year ago. Rehabilitation nearly complete, she's on board with a protected #15 seeding.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The above all intend to give it a go.

Reminiscent of Monica Seles being stabbed at the height of her career, Petra Kvitova, holder of 2 Wimbledons, suffered a serious hand injury during a home invasion close to 1/2 year ago. Rehabilitation nearly complete, she's on board with a protected #15 seeding.
Tragic for both. Unfortunately for Seles merely stepping onto the court was a reminder making it nearly impossible to be the player she was.

Reaction Score
Happy to see #1 women's seed get beaten, only because now they have little to cheer for... Sharapova wasn't granted entry, so those who made that choice can live now with a bunch of no names.... I have no bias toward Sharapova, but think she paid her dues in terms of suspension.

Reaction Score
Happy to see #1 women's seed get beaten, only because now they have little to cheer for... Sharapova wasn't granted entry, so those who made that choice can live now with a bunch of no names.... I have no bias toward Sharapova, but think she paid her dues in terms of suspension.[/QUOTE
she served her suspension but that does not entitle her to anything other than the right to play if she qualify. She did not qualify based on her ranking by the cutoff date. You make sound as if they took something from her when all they did was to decline to give her a special privilege

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Day is done; gone the sun...
And the 1st round is over. Last year's winner Muguruza is on Tennis Channel right now vs. previous champ Italiana Frencesco Shiavone. Garbine up a set.

Americans Bethane Mattek-Sands, Madison Brengle, Shelby Rogers and (Yay) Venus are winners.
Here's the Monday schedule.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/schedule/

Reaction Score
she served her suspension but that does not entitle her to anything other than the right to play if she qualify. She did not qualify based on her ranking by the cutoff date. You make sound as if they took something from her when all they did was to decline to give her a special privilege

No no, i agree with you totally.... i am just looking at the marketing aspect of things..... she served her suspension and as a 2 time former champion, i would have given her a slot in the tournament..... with the #1 out and Serena not playing, watching paint dry will be more exciting than watching the women's matches and associated anticipation JMO

Reaction Score
No no, i agree with you totally.... i am just looking at the marketing aspect of things..... she served her suspension and as a 2 time former champion, i would have given her a slot in the tournament..... with the #1 out and Serena not playing, watching paint dry will be more exciting than watching the women's matches and associated anticipation JMO
Yeah, from a marketing aspect it is a bit of a hit, but not that much for a grand slam. The lion's share of the money they make come from TV rights and sponsors. I think it was worth the hit to not give her the wild card if you want to take a stand on doping. How can you give a wild card to one of the four biggest event in the sport after a doping ban and have people take your anti-doping stance serious?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There will be tons of compelling tennis on the women's side. Kerber was never that popular as a #1 seed - meaning she's not a household name or huge draw. In fact, to the average person, I'm betting Bouchard is more well known than Kerber. I do agree that no Williams, Sharapova or Azarenka takes 3 of the best players off the table, but still plenty of really good players left, and an opportunity for a newbie to make a terrific run...

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
There will be tons of compelling tennis on the women's side. Kerber was never that popular as a #1 seed - meaning she's not a household name or huge draw. In fact, to the average person, I'm betting Bouchard is more well known than Kerber. I do agree that no Williams, Sharapova or Azarenka takes 3 of the best players off the table, but still plenty of really good players left, and an opportunity for a newbie to make a terrific run...

Or an oldie...Go Venus!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom