Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
1622692839850.png

Fans exiting thru field at old Yankee Stadium---also was done at Polo Grounds

Reaction Score
View attachment 67801
That was only those who had taken the subway. Those who drove exited at the gates they entered. Most of the parking lots were small, private businesses and the rates were wildly variable. (I’m talking Yankee Stadium)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
@donalddoowop - here is a map of Brooklyn neighborhoods - a friend (who is from Brooklyn) posted it on her Facebook page today. Odd coincidence. The Movie Theatre company I worked for had sites in Bay Ridge and Sheepshead Bay, I think also one of the neighborhoods that are real small print above Red Hook. Most of our locations were in Queens, one in the Bronx, over 5 in Manhattan and most in the suburbs, mostly further out on Long Island and in New Jersey.

Reaction Score
As an avid 10-year-old NY Giants fan, I watched Bobby Thomson hit the HR that won the NL pennant in 1951 on a 12-inch, black-n-white Philco TV. I stopped watching baseball when the Giants left NY. I realised even then that baseball was a business, not a sport. Very disappointed!
As a NYC kid in the 40s & 50s, you needed chalk, a Spaldeen, and a broomstick. Willie Mays used the latter to hit homers on the streets of Harlem. As a kid, you played street games all day until the street lights came on. Then you had to go in. Besides stickball, most popular games were punchball, "I Declare War', ring-a-Leevio & skelzy.
Alan Freed's rock-n-roll shows, mostly doo wop, were held at the Brooklyn Paramount, not the Apollo. The Paramount was four blocks from my high school, Brooklyn Tech, so I saw ALL the shows!
Boys High [no girls then] was in the same league as Brooklyn Tech so unfortunately I played against The Hawk [Connie Hawkins] in those days. I think he was the best high school hoopster in the country with the possible exception of Roger Brown [Wingate] who dropped 39 points on Boys High in the City title game at the old Garden on 50th Street. I enjoyed that game in person, eh?
I taught mathematics at Christ the King High School where both of my daughters graduated. Both were All-City, 1st team, in basketball. My older daughter played alongside Margaret McKeon, the first "Miss NY State Basketball" in 1986. My younger daughter played with Chamique Holdsclaw and CK won every NY State hoops' title in the 90s, need I say more?
No. That is great about your daughters. First Team All City back then was and still is an incredible honor.

My brother saw that Boys High team play. He told me that during warm ups The Hawk would stand on the foul line with a ball being palmed in each hand and his arms outstretched as the rest of the team dunked around him in layups. Then, when they were done it was his turn and he would dunk both balls. Talk about an intimidating haka.

I went to Jack Donohue's basketball camp in Saugerties New York in the summers of 1966 and 1967. He coached Lew Alcindor as I am sure you know at Power Memorial, then Holy Cross and then the National team in Canada. Played 2 on 2 with Kevin Loughery there. I never saw anyone shoot like that before. Bobby Knight who was at Army then was a guest coach for the day. I knew even back then that he was possessed.

You mention the Old Garden. I saw the Finals of the Holiday Festival in early January 1965 when St. John's came back from 16 down to beat Michigan with Cazzie Russell. In the consolation game against Cincinnati, Bill Bradley put on a show. He had 41 the night before in a losing effort when Cazzie scored with 3 seconds to go. We were lucky because we got seats in the St. John's student section. If you were up top you had to watch the game through the haze since smoking was allowed. Hard to believe. Still the best soft pretzels in human history right outside the old Garden doors.

Reaction Score
I was a New Yorker until 1965. I was a Yankee fan. My father played semi-pro ball and was a Giant fan, so I had to go to the Polo Grounds most times. I hated the Dodgers ad Ebbets field. In high school, I got a job as a day camp counselor at a Boys' Club. The Yankees always let us (and our 80 kids) into the grandstand free, so I got to see many, many games. The downside was the long train ride from Queens to the Bronx with 80 feral boys.

One game that stands out was Ted Williams last game at Yankee Stadium. My father was a big fan of Williams, so we went to Yankee-Red Sox games. I am not sure of the details after 60+ years, but Ted did have a good day (two solid doubles I think). There never was a more beautiful swing.

I watched Don Larsen's perfect game and still remember Yogi's reaction after the last pitch.

Reaction Score
I was a New Yorker until 1965. I was a Yankee fan. My father played semi-pro ball and was a Giant fan, so I had to go to the Polo Grounds most times. I hated the Dodgers ad Ebbets field. In high school, I got a job as a day camp counselor at a Boys' Club. The Yankees always let us (and our 80 kids) into the grandstand free, so I got to see many, many games. The downside was the long train ride from Queens to the Bronx with 80 feral boys.

One game that stands out was Ted Williams last game at Yankee Stadium. My father was a big fan of Williams, so we went to Yankee-Red Sox games. I am not sure of the details after 60+ years, but Ted did have a good day (two solid doubles I think). There never was a more beautiful swing.

I watched Don Larsen's perfect game and still remember Yogi's reaction after the last pitch.
I was a big Yankee fan growing up. We had a "new" TV in the basement where you could adjust the color. I would stand for the National Anthem before the games which were on WPIX Channel 11 with Mel Allen. My father hated the Yankees with a passion. He also loved Ted Williams. I remember going to the Stadium to see Boston play, never to see the Yankees play. He never got over Joe D being the MVP in 1941 when The Splinter hit .406.

Reaction Score
For the pat three weeks I have been watching my local PBS station's replay of the History of Baseball. From the time I was very young I heard about the teams from New York and their legendary players and stadiums. I could only imagine because they were not on television. I heard about the Bronx, Brooklyn, Buffalo, Flatbush, Harlem, Spanish Harlem and Queens. The show talked a lot about New York baseball history. It showed children playing baseball in the streets, once kids playing with Willie Mays. Also, as I got older I would read about Christ the King High, Boys and Girls High and Power Memorial High. It made me think of other questions I had about New York. My questions for you, for those who are willing to answer them, are as follows:
!. Were any of you at the game in 1951 when Bobby Thompson hit his "home run heard around the world"
2. At the World Series game in 1956 when Don Larsen pitched his perfect game
3. The game in which Roger Maris broke Babe Ruth's home run record
4. Are the Bronx, Brooklyn, Buffalo, Harlem, and Queens neighboring communities
5. Did any of you attend Christ the King of Boys and Girls High
6. Did any of you ever attend any R&B/Rock & Roll Shows at the Apollo
7. Were any of you disappointed when the Giants and Dodgers left New York

I have always wondered what life was like in New York for teenagers during the forties and fifties.
I can only answer #7. Yea I was disappointed. Was a big Willie Mays fan. Saw him when I was very young at the Polo grounds, but just once. Can’t remember details but I turned into a SF Giant fan when they left. Can still name the lineup with McCovey, Cepeda, Marichal, et al as it was what I used playing stickball in the 60s. Now if you want to talk Knicks during their hey day under Red Holzman in the late 60s...I recall recall seeing them have a miraculous late comeback against Jabbar when he was Alcindor with Milwaukee. Patterned my jumper after Dick Barnett.

Reaction Score
I can only answer #7. Yea I was disappointed. Was a big Willie Mays fan. Saw him when I was very young at the Polo grounds, but just once. Can’t remember details but I turned into a SF Giant fan when they left. Can still name the lineup with McCovey, Cepeda, Marichal, et al as it was what I used playing stickball in the 60s. Now if you want to talk Knicks during their hey day under Red Holzman in the late 60s...I recall recall seeing them have a miraculous late comeback against Jabbar when he was Alcindor with Milwaukee. Patterned my jumper after Dick Barnett.
I am younger but also remember the Bucks comeback, see #NYK70 | 1972: Knicks End Game on 19-0 Run for Comeback Win vs Bucks, "What a ballgame!" | New York Knicks

Reaction Score
For the pat three weeks I have been watching my local PBS station's replay of the History of Baseball. From the time I was very young I heard about the teams from New York and their legendary players and stadiums. I could only imagine because they were not on television. I heard about the Bronx, Brooklyn, Buffalo, Flatbush, Harlem, Spanish Harlem and Queens. The show talked a lot about New York baseball history. It showed children playing baseball in the streets, once kids playing with Willie Mays. Also, as I got older I would read about Christ the King High, Boys and Girls High and Power Memorial High. It made me think of other questions I had about New York. My questions for you, for those who are willing to answer them, are as follows:
!. Were any of you at the game in 1951 when Bobby Thompson hit his "home run heard around the world"

I have always wondered what life was like in New York for teenagers during the forties and fifties.
I’m originally from Rochester, NY. Saw my first MLB game at the (very) old Yankee Stadium in 1954. In May 1961 at Fenway, sitting beyond the green monster, I saw the Yankees pound the Red Sox with seven home runs—two each for Mantle, Maris, and Skowron, and one for Berra. The next day a local paper ran a photo of Yogi holding up one finger, under the caption “only one.” In my neck of the woods, mostly via radio, the three NYC teams reigned supreme.

Years later, now living in NYC, I took my older daughter then eight to her first MLB game. it was July 4, 1983– Dave Righetti’s no-hitter vs. the Red Sox.

Reaction Score
As an avid 10-year-old NY Giants fan, I watched Bobby Thomson hit the HR that won the NL pennant in 1951 on a 12-inch, black-n-white Philco TV. I stopped watching baseball when the Giants left NY. I realised even then that baseball was a business, not a sport. Very disappointed!
As a NYC kid in the 40s & 50s, you needed chalk, a Spaldeen, and a broomstick. Willie Mays used the latter to hit homers on the streets of Harlem. As a kid, you played street games all day until the street lights came on. Then you had to go in. Besides stickball, most popular games were punchball, "I Declare War', ring-a-Leevio & skelzy.
Alan Freed's rock-n-roll shows, mostly doo wop, were held at the Brooklyn Paramount, not the Apollo. The Paramount was four blocks from my high school, Brooklyn Tech, so I saw ALL the shows!
Boys High [no girls then] was in the same league as Brooklyn Tech so unfortunately I played against The Hawk [Connie Hawkins] in those days. I think he was the best high school hoopster in the country with the possible exception of Roger Brown [Wingate] who dropped 39 points on Boys High in the City title game at the old Garden on 50th Street. I enjoyed that game in person, eh?
I taught mathematics at Christ the King High School where both of my daughters graduated. Both were All-City, 1st team, in basketball. My older daughter played alongside Margaret McKeon, the first "Miss NY State Basketball" in 1986. My younger daughter played with Chamique Holdsclaw and CK won every NY State hoops' title in the 90s, need I say more?
You graduated from Tech in 59 ?

Reaction Score
No. That is great about your daughters. First Team All City back then was and still is an incredible honor.

My brother saw that Boys High team play. He told me that during warm ups The Hawk would stand on the foul line with a ball being palmed in each hand and his arms outstretched as the rest of the team dunked around him in layups. Then, when they were done it was his turn and he would dunk both balls. Talk about an intimidating haka.

I went to Jack Donohue's basketball camp in Saugerties New York in the summers of 1966 and 1967. He coached Lew Alcindor as I am sure you know at Power Memorial, then Holy Cross and then the National team in Canada. Played 2 on 2 with Kevin Loughery there. I never saw anyone shoot like that before. Bobby Knight who was at Army then was a guest coach for the day. I knew even back then that he was possessed.

You mention the Old Garden. I saw the Finals of the Holiday Festival in early January 1965 when St. John's came back from 16 down to beat Michigan with Cazzie Russell. In the consolation game against Cincinnati, Bill Bradley put on a show. He had 41 the night before in a losing effort when Cazzie scored with 3 seconds to go. We were lucky because we got seats in the St. John's student section. If you were up top you had to watch the game through the haze since smoking was allowed. Hard to believe. Still the best soft pretzels in human history right outside the old Garden doors.
Yes Boys' High was intimidating, to say the least .. Billy Burwell and Eddie Simmons were on that squad too!

Reaction Score

Yes my daughters - Leslie&Chelsea - and Christ the King girls were very successful .. hard work pays off.

Attachments

• Chelsea18.jpg
    Chelsea18.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 75
Reaction Score
I have this map on the wall of my apt, I luv it .. I went to high school in Fort Greene [at the top] .. I took the subway from Queens [every day] and got off at Lafayette Ave .. Brooklyn Technical High School .. we had our own airplane and fully-equipped machine shop on the first floor ...

Reaction Score
You graduated from Tech in 59 ?
Yes - late 50s - during the 'golden age' of early rock-n-roll/doo wop .. the Brooklyn Paramount was four blocks away .. that's where Alan Freed had all those fabulous Rock&Roll shows .. gr8 memories!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Yes - late 50s - during the 'golden age' of early rock-n-roll/doo wop .. the Brooklyn Paramount was four blocks away .. that's where Alan Freed had all those fabulous Rock&Roll shows .. gr8 memories!
You were blessed to live that close to the Paramount. Man, the shows you must have seen. Well, we have two things in common, love of Doo Wop and we graduated high school in 1959.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

Yes Boys' High was intimidating, to say the least .. Billy Burwell and Eddie Simmons were on that squad too!
Do you remember a male high school basketball player from New York who was highly ranked and at one point some said he was ready for the NBA when he was a sophomore? It was the late seventies or early eighties. He was the talk of New York. However, when his school played against a team that featured Gene Banks, Banks, who wound up at Duke because Penn did not give scholarships, destroyed him. This player never was the same. I believe he wound up at St. John. His last name was McCoy. I can't remember his first name but he was highly overrated.,

Reaction Score
Yes my daughters - Leslie&Chelsea - and Christ the King girls were very successful .. hard work pays off.
Wonderful. You should be very proud. BTW, who was #1 in the country that year? It said CK was #2.

Reaction Score
Your free throw too?

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
Big Giant fan in 1940's. We lived in Queens until we moved to LI in late 1949. Attended a number of Polo Grounds games in those days, and one each in Ebbetts & Yankee Stadium, but not for any of the historical events.

We got the first TV in the neighborhood in 1947. About a 10" B&W. I remember a big Giant-Dodger game when my father invited a bunch of guys from the 'hood to watch the game on TV. Chairs lined up theater style in the living room. Evenly divided between Giant & Dodger fans (no such thing as a Yankee fan in that area). Keg of beer iced down in the kitchen sink. Great stuff. I remember Johnny Mize hitting a huge home run over the bullpen in right-center field in the Polo Grounds, which made him my Giant hero until Monte Irvin and then Willie Mays came along.

Devastated when the Giants left NY. I still think moving Willie Mays out of the Polo Grounds was a Crime Against Nature.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
View attachment 67801
Ahhh... I remember my father taking me out to the area behind center field to see the monuments of the most magnificent Yankees, Babe Ruth and Lou Gerhig. (I can't remember if Joe DiMaggio was the 3d monument at that time.) I was a kid of the late 40s and early 50s and a huge Yankee fan. I played catcher and my nickname was Yogi for obvious reasons. I lived right outside of Fort Monmouth in New Jersey and when Whitey Ford was stationed there, he played for the Special Services baseball team. I went to all their games during that period just to watch him pitch and to see how the catcher caught him...

Reaction Score

My dad was living in New York during the 1930's and 1940's. He grew up in a tenement in the South Bronx, which was then an Irish neighborhood. That was almost next to Yankee Stadium, but he was a Nationals fan. They played in the Polo Grounds, which was in the northern part of Manhattan across the East River. The Bronx is the only borough of the city that is situated on the mainland. The other four are on islands. He told me about Bobby Thompson's home run, but was a few years before my time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom