OT Current and Former New Yorkers, I'm Curious | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT Current and Former New Yorkers, I'm Curious

Reaction Score
Wow. Power Memorial and Dematha. I remember listening to epic games between those two when the played each other at the Alhambra Catholic Invitational Tournament in Cumberland, Maryland back in the 1960's. The ACIT used to have teams from all over the country come to play with the first tournament being held in 1961 through today with teams from Baltimore, DC, New York, Philly, Chicago and other cities across the country.

More here.

I played at St. Benedict's in Newark, New Jersey, where Danny Hurley began coaching many moons later. In 1968 we were invited to that tourney but because it started so long after our season had ended the school declined to go. We were heartbroken . We had an All State center by the name of Mike Laughna that year who played at Georgetown and we had beaten a nationally ranked team a few games before the season ended. We had played them in a Holiday tourney earlier that also had Boys High who had Mel Davis and Ernie Green. We tied the game when my backcourt mate made 2 free throws with a second remaining. His Dad had a heart attack in the stands during the second shot and died on the other side of the court. We lost in overtime. When we played them again at home at the end of the season it felt like our gym was about to collapse. We pulled away in the 4th quarter. It was the greatest game of any kind I ever played in. Often wondered what that experience at the Alhambra would have been like that year. We were pretty big for a high school team back then at 6'9", 6'6",and 6'4" up front. I was the PG.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
FYI: Real New Yorkers refuse to believe Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island.
I found that out many years ago. That said, when you are talking geography, it is an unavoidable fact.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom