OT: Boyle still hanging on | The Boneyard

OT: Boyle still hanging on

Reaction Score
Report: Jets to start Boyle over Wilson at QB vs. Dolphins

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Good for Tim.

Great example of how showing up and being prepared for your job can lead to great results.

Since Tim B graduated HS plenty of QB's have had higher accolades, better college offers, better college coaching and performances and couldn't make it or stick in the NFL.

Starting QB in the NFL is still one of the hardest fraternities to get in to.

He's up to $7.5m in career earnings and will probably make a mil or two more before he's done.

Reaction Score
The young man has waited a long time for his chance. Hope for him he makes good on it.

(But, before someone claims otherwise, nothing he accomplishes for the Jets will in any way change how good he was at the time he was here. Sorry.)

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The young man has waited a long time for his chance. Hope for him he makes good on it.
Well...he has started three games before...in 2021 for the Lions. And it didn't go well.

If he is able to succeed with the mess that is the Jets...it would be a miracle.

Reaction Score

(But, before someone claims otherwise, nothing he accomplishes for the Jets will in any way change how good he was at the time he was here. Sorry.)
Wrong. George DeLeone was his OC. Let that sink in.

Reaction Score
It's crazy how many qb's have been murdered by playing here - and the guy with a good skeleton because he was spared the pain is the successful one. Frazer, Mcentee (def has brain damage), Whitmer, Cochran, Shirreffs, Pindell all these guys wake up in pain.

Reaction Score
Wrong. George DeLeone was his OC. Let that sink in.
When he got his second chance under HCVV, when Shirreffs went down in the first quarter against Houston, he failed miserably. And, when Boyle got benched under DeLeone, Cochrane was light years better running the same offense with the same personnel.

But sure, we get it, it's never the fault of the backup QB.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
When he got his second chance under HCVV, when Shirreffs went down in the first quarter against Houston, he failed miserably. And, when Boyle got benched under DeLeone, Cochrane was light years better running the same offense with the same personnel.

Agreed.

Boyle's confidence was shot at UConn. He was awful. He may have lost confidence because he played too soon...which could be the coach's fault....but his poor play wasn't because of scheme. He was just bad.

Reaction Score
Bringing up his struggles here is an unnecessary cheap shot, don’t you think?
I recall the day we were told he was leaving UConn for E Ky and the absolute consensus was—‘Wow, Tim is giving up a UConn degree for one from E Ky?’ No one believed what he believed, that having an opportunity to play would give him a chance to impress some scouts and get him to the NFL. That’s called self belief, and it’s a beautiful thing. Try and imagine how shattered his confidence should have been after his playing experience here. But it wasn’t. And he deserves all the credit for his NFL journey.

Reaction Score
Bringing up his struggles here is an unnecessary cheap shot, don’t you think?
I recall the day we were told he was leaving UConn for E Ky and the absolute consensus was—‘Wow, Tim is giving up a UConn degree for one from E Ky?’ No one believed what he believed, that having an opportunity to play would give him a chance to impress some scouts and get him to the NFL. That’s called self belief, and it’s a beautiful thing. Try and imagine how shattered his confidence should have been after his playing experience here. But it wasn’t. And he deserves all the credit for his NFL journey.
And he gets that credit and deserves it. Good for him.

But he could grab this chance and become a NFL starting QB, and it doesn’t change his past one iota. No one’s past is changed by the present, and what he accomplishes from here on in will not be one iota of evidence that our coaches screwed up between 8 and 12 years ago. How in the world is that a “cheap shot?”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the reason he's still in the NFL is his great physical skills. He's got a great arm that was evident the first time he hit the field for UConn. I thought we had another Matt Ryan type. Plus he's big and he can move. He's almost a perfect 3rd string/scout guy in that he can throw to guys in practice giving them a "real" look. With his mobility he can be a great scout team guy. Unfortunately those skills have never translated into sustained performance in college or the pros. Hope that gets turned around.

Reaction Score
Not sure what the average career duration is in the NFL, generally and by position, but I've got to think 6 seasons is a pretty successful "career", using longevity as the variable indicating success.

I'm a long suffering Jets fan(I was 13 when Joe Willie Namath did it to the Colts), so "Lets Go Tim, Lets Go Jets!!

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I recall the day we were told he was leaving UConn for E Ky and the absolute consensus was—‘Wow, Tim is giving up a UConn degree for one from E Ky?’
That was the "absolute consensus"? I don't remember that. I remember lots of posts saying that it stunk that a local kid couldn't succeed at UConn. I remember a lot of blaming the coaching staff for mismanaging his career. And I remember everyone agreeing he played poorly.

And let's face it...he didn't play great at EKY. I think he was even benched his senior year.

Boyle has found a niche in he NFL by having arm talent and being a good team guy. Good for him.

Reaction Score

TJ Weist? Think PP and GDL were fired by then.

Reaction Score
Post Xavier, Boyle has 15 TDs and 35 interceptions. He is the only one around for all of it. And good luck to him for a continued career in the NFL!

Reaction Score
TJ Weist? Think PP and GDL were fired by then.
Don't remember if GDL went with PP or hung around until the end of the season. But what we know is that PP was gone before Boyle got his first start, and when someone sat Boyle and put in Cochrane, the offense was on a totally different level. And Cochrane had nowhere near the NFL ready arm that Boyle had and has, but what he did have was the same coaching staff.

Again, I wish the young man nothing but the best. I just don't want to hear the Boneyard voices who will claim that Boyle completing his first three passes this weeks tells us something about the coaching he had at UConn. He got chances under two totally different staffs and he failed twice. Do the math.

Reaction Score
Shane Day I believe was his QB/OC that year. Boyle wasn’t ready and lacked confidence and mobility. Thought he did well preserving the win against Houston.

Reaction Score
Starting in the NFL is a heck of a definition of "hanging on."
Was gonna say. If he is starting, he isn’t hanging on. Looks like he is going to be a lifer as backup qb and a future coach or analyst.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Gotta wonder only because I don’t know, were Boyle and Will Leviis on the same Xavier team?

Reaction Score
How in the world is that a “cheap shot?”
It’s an “unnecessary” cheap shot. Imagine you being appointed by the Governor to be the acting Attorney General after the current one is incapacitated. There’s an article written about you, your qualifications and how you rose through the ranks. And at the end it says, “while he’s been steadily moving up the ladder and is finally getting a well deserved chance at a leadership role, lets not forget that in law school he lost the moot court competition.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom