OT - Boxing, Decline, Cotto, Floyd, MMA | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT - Boxing, Decline, Cotto, Floyd, MMA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
the demise of boxing is being greatly exaggerated. boxings popularity goes hand in hand with the state of the heavyweight division. get an exciting dominant american heavyweight and boxing will be back in the public conscience big time. get two or three really good american heavyweights and boxing will be booming like it was at its peak of popularity.
mma while popular does not do the type of numbers ppv wise as does a mayweather or a pacman fight and lacks a household name. ask anyone who floyd,paciaou,hopkins or cotto are and people will know. ask people who anderson sylva,jose aldo,gsp,jds,frankie edgar or jon jones are and youll get some people wholl know but for the most part most people will have no idea.
people dont realize that there is a storm on the horizon as far as the ufc is concerned. fighters are not getting paid what they feel they should be paid but at this point there isnt much they can do as dana white and the furtita bros have a monopoly on the sport and while many wont go on record there are alot of fighters who are not happy. this cannot and will not last. a decade from now if the ufc still exists it wont be in its present form. i believe all it would take to destroy the ufc is for two big names to leave the organization,sign with promotors and set up a huge ppv fight that nets both fighters millions more than they would ever see in the ufc.the problem is these would have to be two fighters that the public would want to see fight and who have a large following which right now i dont see any fighters in the ufc with that type of notoriety. brock lesner was the closest thing to it but his career was derailed by illness and lack of striking. if he had gone on to dominate the hw division and fedor emilianenko had continue to dominate this could of been a mega fight that couldve drawn enough attention from the general public that both fighters could have made the fight without organizational support just like boxing and generated millions for the fighters and really hurt the ufc.

Reaction Score
ask anyone who floyd,paciaou,hopkins or cotto are and people will know.
It's an interesting question. I'd put my money on the average American being able to name more MMA fighters than boxers. I never heard of cotto until a few days ago.
Fact is, there doesn't seem to be any readily available stats to compare boxing and mma.

Reaction Score
It's an interesting question. I'd put my money on the average American being able to name more MMA fighters than boxers. I never heard of cotto until a few days ago.
Fact is, there doesn't seem to be any readily available stats to compare boxing and mma.

FrankIvy,, Please do not take offense but if you've never heard of Cotto until a few days ago, then you really are not following boxing in even a casual sense.

Reaction Score
FrankIvy,, Please do not take offense but if you've never heard of Cotto until a few days ago, then you really are not following boxing in even a casual sense.
That's true. Good point.

Reaction Score
Early in this thread Frank you were a casual Boxing fan yet you dont know who Miguel Cotto is? Cotto PPV with Antonio Margarito did around 700,000 buys same as Bones Jones.

I would say most UFC fights do under 500,000 PPV buys, and Lesnar might be the only guy who has topped a million buys.

I feel as though UFC has a lost a little steam but maybe thats just me. The big thing for UFC is most adults 35-60 have no interest at all in UFC.

Reaction Score
Early in this thread Frank you were a casual Boxing fan yet you dont know who Miguel Cotto is? Cotto PPV with Antonio Margarito did around 700,000 buys same as Bones Jones.

I would say most UFC fights do under 500,000 PPV buys, and Lesnar might be the only guy who has topped a million buys.

I feel as though UFC has a lost a little steam but maybe thats just me. The big thing for UFC is most adults 35-60 have no interest at all in UFC.
1st - On the first page I said I was a "very casual observer" of boxing. So, we're arguing semantics here.
2nd - You remind me of my wife. I acknowledged, just above, that "casual fan" didn't describe me. You, my wife, then drive it home, rather than just appreciating that I admitted something.
3 - MMA has only been sanctioned for 12 years. 12. Everybody should keep that in mind before making conclusions about where the sport is and where it's going.
4. - So Cotto Margarito did 700k buys? It's a single data point in a rainstorm. As I said earlier, there does not seem to be good data out there. I'd love to see it for both sports.
5. - Most adults 35 to 60 reflect the past, not the future. A lot of 55 year olds don't know how to convert a .doc into a .pdf, or scan an image into a jpeg, or access their email from a webpage. The 20-50ish demographic is the demographic that matters, as those are the active wage earners, for the most part.

Randy Couture, Rampage, these guys are in movies in significant rolls (and on King of Queens loved that scene).

How many boxers have that kind of pop exposure? None?

Anyway, I'd love to see some timelined PPV stats, if anybody has any.

Reaction Score
"Randy Couture, Rampage, these guys are in movies in significant rolls (and on King of Queens loved that scene).

How many boxers have that kind of pop exposure? None?

Anyway, I'd love to see some timelined PPV stats, if anybody has any"

first, i loved that scene on koq and you cant forget dan henderson who was the guy who got hit and smiled who had no teeth,lol!

no boxer has that kind of pop exposure? manny pacioua does cell phone commercials and has fans all over the world. the guy is like a rockstar where ever he goes including the united states.
floyd mayweather has performed in the wwe! everyone knows who floyd mayweather is and hes done some commercials and the only reason hes not in every other commercial or billboard advertisements around the country is well because hes and a#$hole who makes rediculous monetary demands so some companies refuse to deal with him and lastly although well known he is one of the most disliked athletes of recent memory. outside of the black community floyds popularity is split down the middle at best imo of those who like or dislike him.
forget ppv numbers because boxing has far less ppv fights in a year than does the ufc because the ufc pretty much has an event just about every month. but if you were to compare the top ppv sales for a ufc event compared to a boxing event the boxing events easily have more sales. the only ppv ufc to go over a million was lesner/couture and that has actually has been debated with dana white claiming over a million but never actually releasing the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom