OT: BCU fires Donahue | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: BCU fires Donahue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I believe Calhoun is being considered. Current BC AD is a friend of Warde's. It is unclear how much the APR/NCAA stuff weighs. Make no mistake this is a job JC would seriously consider and in some sense it would be payback to those at BC who ignored Calhoun when an opening exisred decades ago. He was treated like "Shanty" Irish and he has not forgotten. Personally, it would make things very interestingly - hope it happens.
I don't think Calhoun will coach on the Div. 1 level again. He is making very good money for doing very little in comparison to what he did on the recruiting trail, running practices, and running the administration of a top national basketball team. If he does anything, I think he will be the assistant at a high school or his grandsons'/daughters CYC or AAU teams. Of course I have no hard evidence, but do any of us?

Reaction Score
I believe Calhoun is being considered. Current BC AD is a friend of Warde's. It is unclear how much the APR/NCAA stuff weighs. Make no mistake this is a job JC would seriously consider and in some sense it would be payback to those at BC who ignored Calhoun when an opening exisred decades ago. He was treated like "Shanty" Irish and he has not forgotten. Personally, it would make things very interestingly - hope it happens.
I thought I had heard it all, but then there is this

Reaction Score
If Calhoun goes anywhere it's South Carolina. Or some very small school in South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Cooley is not leaving PC and probably never will unless he gets fired or retires. He grew up 2 blocks from DD center and lives in his childhood home I believe today. He also lived in Providence when he coached at BC and would commute to BC. PC is his dream job and has always been his dream job. He was born, raised, lives and wants to build PC into his program.

He wants to be the Calhoun of PC basketball. BC does not interest him. Just like Ollie wants to be at UConn for the long haul.

Cooley does not live in his childhood home. BC knifed Al Skinner in the back. The first person Ed thanked after winning the BE tourney was Al Skinner. No way he leaves PC for BC

Reaction Score
Cooley does not live in his childhood home. BC knifed Al Skinner in the back. The first person Ed thanked after winning the BE tourney was Al Skinner. No way he leaves PC for BC

No kidding he doesn't live in his childhood home, my friend grew up with and is friends with Ed and they in no way grew up in the neighborhood where Ed lives now. Cooley MAY leave at some point, but he has a real desire to build and own that program, he doesn't view it as a stepping stone. If Ed leaves PC by his choice someday it's not going to be to go to BC.

Reaction Score
No kidding he doesn't live in his childhood home, my friend grew up with and is friends with Ed and they in no way grew up in the neighborhood where Ed lives now. Cooley MAY leave at some point, but he has a real desire to build and own that program, he doesn't view it as a stepping stone. If Ed leaves PC by his choice someday it's not going to be to go to BC.

I think all former BC basketball coaches were either knifed in the back or couldn't wait to get out of Dodge.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
One reason a guy like Cooley would leave PC and that would be to make a ton more money (life changing money). He is currently getting paid twice what BC was paying their coach. So that doesn't seem likely

Maybe Cooley isn't thrilled with fighting the school to get kids on the court, but again, BC is not the answer to that problem.

When (if) he leaves PC, it'll be after a couple more trips to the dance and he takes over at a school like Illinois or NC State. IMO

Reaction Score
If Calhoun wants to coach, he needs to find a national team to coach. I say try to get the Canada gig, they have a bunch of real young quality players on the way up, his kinda roster.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
And when he takes this gig, he will immediately bring in Clyde to coach the bigs!

Reaction Score
What about Will Brown from SUNY Albany. Guy deserves to be promoted.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sounds like a perfect spot for Seth Greenberg.

I think it bad timing for Seth. He was doing pretty well at USF. If he was still there when they came into the Big East he might still be coaching.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The Ivy has really tightened up recruit standards. It's going to be much harder for Amaker to keep getting the same caliber athletes going forward unless they have much higher test scores (though the overhaul of the SAT should raise scores across the board).

If BC offers the job, he should take it in a second. BC could do much worse- Donahue was much worse.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
As for Jim Calhoun at BC...Google "Brian Clough" or "The Damned United"

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how this plays out...

Here's a thought - Calhoun goes after the job. Once he gets it, he convinces the BCU administration to forgive and forget UCONN suing them and we end up with an invite to the ACC.

However, we are so much in demand that we also get a B1G invite, which we accept and Calhoun promptly quits...

Another thing Calhoun can do up there is insist BC that pushes all big men (toughened up by Calhoun over 3 years) into a 3 year graduation program, and then the best of them promptly do a grad year at UConn for their 4th season.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Tom Moore would never be mentioned for various reasons, but he's the type of guy they need.

Reaction Score
It would be great if BC simply interviewed Jim Calhoun. We could wonder if he'd use the opportunity to unearth the secret "let's destroy UConn's chances at the ACC" files and bring down their entire athletic department.

In reality the interview would be a nice bridge building apology by BC and Calhoun could give them a lot of good ideas of what to look for in 'empire building'. Then machine guns pop out of Calhoun's trunk and he dives atop Hanlan so that he can transfer to UConn.

Sorry just can't take this seriously.

Reaction Score
It would be great if BC simply interviewed Jim Calhoun. We could wonder if he'd use the opportunity to unearth the secret "let's destroy UConn's chances at the ACC" files and bring down their entire athletic department.

In reality the interview would be a nice bridge building apology by BC and Calhoun could give them a lot of good ideas of what to look for in 'empire building'. Then machine guns pop out of Calhoun's trunk and he dives atop Hanlan so that he can transfer to UConn.

Sorry just can't take this seriously.

It cannot possibly be taken seriously. IMO, there is a 0% chance that either JC or BC have any desire whatsoever to even speak to one another.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Tom Moore would never be mentioned for various reasons, but he's the type of guy they need.

Is Quinnipiac to BC a lateral move? I think it is.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Steve Pikiell and the Albany coach would likely get some consideration for the NC job.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Husky, here is SD's body of work at BC:

2010-11: Overall: 21-13 (incl. 1-1 NIT) ACC: 10-8 (With Al Skinner's players)
2011-12: Overall: 9-12. ACC: 4-13.
2012-13: Overall: 16-17. ACC 8-12.
2013-14: Overall 8-24. ACC 4-13.

Other than the first year with Al Skinner's players, this is not a good record. Add in the many embarrassing losses (Bryant, College of Charleston, BU, etc), not sure how anyone can argue that he deserved another year.

It just didn't work out. The record is pretty telling. What other schools would tolerate that kind of performance?
Other than Jackson, Skinner didn't exactly stock the cupboard with younger talent either. Donahue was basically starting the program anew, but expectations were to not only to upset Syracuse once a decade, but play with Duke, UNC, and Virginia, while beating FSU, WFU, Clemson, etc. The expectations for BC far out distance their reality. Now the next coach is faced with the same thing.

7 players in the same class does not help matters for a new coach either. After the Juniors graduate (after next season), BC needs to bring in some JuCo transfers merely to spread out the scholarships (Does BC even accept JuCo x-fers). If they can play, that's a bonus. Remember all those horrendous Clipper teams of the 80's and 90's? That is BC right now, but worse. It's great that BC's 3 star recruits play with each other for 4 years, but there is no one older who has experienced winning to show them the ropes.

Ironically, I think BC Basketball and UConn football are in similar positions, except that I also think Coach Diaco is the right coach and he has talent with which to work. I'm not as optimistic about BC on either front.

Reaction Score
Ironically, I think BC Basketball and UConn football are in similar positions, except that I also think Coach Diaco is the right coach and he has talent with which to work. I'm not as optimistic about BC on either front.

With all due respect, Husky, you are wrong about BC FB. You just are.

Bates' hiring of Steve Addazio has been a grand-slam hire for BC.

It's not just because he took a 2-win team to 7 wins the next season, with the same players as his predecessor. It's not just because he has proven to be a great recruiter (taking BC recruiting from #88 to #41 in a single year based on RIVALS, following a 2-win season). It's not because he took a program that was no longer landing any of the top local recruits to one that is landing most of them. It's not because he took an unknown running back and transformed him to the point where he was standing on the Heisman Finalist stage in NYC. All those things are great. What makes him special, however, is how he has completely transformed the culture of BC FB. He has given them an identity. He has given them an edge. He relentlessly reinforces this message everywhere. In one year, he has been on more Boston sports talk radio, ESPN, etc. then all prior BC coaches combined. He has mined social media / youtube, etc. The "be a dude" campaign was brilliant. He has taken that slogan to social media to define what it takes to be a BC athlete:

Those of us who have met him will tell you we have not seen anything like this since Tom Coughlin. When his appointment was announced, it was mocked in many quarters - including some at BC. No one is mocking it now!

If Bates can replicate this formula with the hiring of a MBB coach - someone with the same energy, skill, recruiting, and marketing savvy as Steve Addazio - then the longer-term BC MBB prospects will be bright (regardless of the initial reaction or "splash"that person receives). We shall see how this plays out.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I never said anything about BC football. The phrase, "either front" refers to a good fit for basketball coach and basketball talent at BC.

Reaction Score
I never said anything about BC football. The phrase, "either front" refers to a good fit for basketball coach and basketball talent at BC.

Oh well, if I misunderstood your point, my bad. But I do think my last paragraph holds true. The trick will be in repeating the Addazio success. Not necessarily an easy thing to do, I admit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom